SAM's and Smithfield

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been told that SAM's is going to start carrying Smithfield "Competition Packs" of ribs and butts. Supposedly 2 packs of spares and 2 packs of butts in special packaging. Anyone else heard this and if so when it will happen?

Interesting if true. I wonder if the grade of meat will any better? Nice straight bones would be sweet.

I just attended the NBBQA conference this past weekend. A hog from Smithfield was one of the 3 hogs cooked for a class and SAMS, being a huge supporter of the NBBQA this would not surprise me.

Smithfield showed them off at the KCBS meeting. The ribs are packed back to back so you can see the tops of both racks. The butts are supposedly hand selected.

Smithfield showed them off at the KCBS meeting. The ribs are packed back to back so you can see the tops of both racks. The butts are supposedly hand selected.

Did they give any indications when they would be available?

In my local Sam's I've had some SF butts & ribs & have had good success with them taste wise but as far as appearance that's run the full range of wouldn't give it to a starving dog I hated to give it to the judges. Only thing I can hope for is like what someone posted above, it that the ribs are evenly cut across & no knife knicks. I would assume the price would be a premium if they go about hand selecting & that's the key question in all of this. Are they going to be hand selected for criteria or are they just going to be the regular stuff packaged in a special way?

I'm anxious to see what they have, when they come in.. Now, to find out the delivery dates of my local Sam's to make sure I have a good pick from them, before the dads who boil them show up and buy all the good ones.

I spoke with a competition who bought one of these packs last weekend...he said the meat was good quality, but the rib bones weren't straight. Not sure if they are hand selecting the meat for these packs.

It would be great if you could see both money muscle on the 2 packs of butts.

How do they come where you get them? Do they pack them with the MM facing each other? I've only ever seen them with the money muscle showing.

How do they come where you get them? Do they pack them with the MM facing each other? I've only ever seen them with the money muscle showing.
Same here, one MM on one side, and one MM on the other side.

So some companies are finally starting to acknowledge the competition BBQ market....Hmmmm

Or are some companies just starting to see value in "Competition" BBQ marketing.

Thaink about it. I assume that they will be labeled "competition." If you're the average backyard BBQer and you see a pack marked "Competition" aren't you likely to say "WOW! Let me do what the top guys do!" even though it may not be what they use?

Last edited:
My guess is they will be "packaged for convenience" in certain numbers, but the meat will be nothing special...

Got this reply

Good morning Andy,

Thank you for your e-mail. Smithfield has partnered with the Kansas City BBQ Society this year, earning their accredited Seal of Approval on two competition-style items, a medium sparerib and 8lb bone-in butt. We are currently working with a few different retailers to secure distribution of the product. We will notify KCBS members and partners on when and where the product will be available for purchase.

Thanks,

Kristen Orr
Associate Brand Manager

Back