• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cast Iron score

amg1444

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Picked these up from a local garage sale. Just need to clean up a little surface rust, season them and we'll be good to go. Since they have wooden handles, what do you think is the best way to protect them during seasoning? Was thinking of wrapping them in foil, what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 500
I think that is a long eyebolt running through the wwod handle. Put a screwdriver blade through the eye and twist counterclockwise.

I take my wooden handles off when seasoning, just as directed above. Just turn the eye bolt. Btw, what is nice about those compared to lodge cast iron skillet is the longer handle allows you to flip things in the pan more easily. I rarely use any utensils when I fry stuff in mine.

Nice score. Only drawback to those is with the wooden handles you can't go from stovetop to oven to finish something off. Still can't beat cast iron though.

You couple make some steel handles out of some black pipe...

can't remember seeing ci with wood handles. kinda defeats the purpose.
but they do look nice.

Those are cool. What brand are they?

Depending on your seasoning technique, you may not need to remove the handles.

Should have put 2&2 together and unscrewed the eye bolts. Got them off now just need to clean them up a little.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 304
Not sure the brand. The small one has the markings YC then Taiwan below.

Last edited:
Nice score. Only drawback to those is with the wooden handles you can't go from stovetop to oven to finish something off. Still can't beat cast iron though.

You couple make some steel handles out of some black pipe...

Yeah you can, you can put it in the oven on broil with the handle sticking out of the oven :)

can't remember seeing ci with wood handles. kinda defeats the purpose.
but they do look nice.

I love my cast iron frying pan with my long wooden handle because I can flip stuff easily without utensils. (The long wooden handle is also angled up quite a bit to help with the flipping.) A lodge skillet doesn't have a long enough handle for that, unless you have frankenstein hands. I have both Lodge and my Le Creuset wooden handled one (I got it at flea market for like $5) I oil my wooden handle with flax seed oil every so often.

Did you season up your pans? Let's see them! :)

Here is my $5 flea market score (Le Creuset french style cast iron frying pan). It has a chocolate enamel exterior and is seasoned with flax seed oil and clarified butter on the inside; has a nice carbon build up over the flat black enamel and behaves no different than carbon right over iron. It's my favorite cast iron pan of the 8 pieces or so that I have. I do my eggs in it. It's very easy to flip eggs due to the long wooden handle. Every so often I oil the teak handle with flax seed oil as well.
29z8ldu.jpg

Bbqgeekness, that's a nice score you got there. You've got to love fle markets.

I have not been able to get them seasoned yet. Took the handles off, cleaned them up and then realized we were out of oil. :doh: My company goes on shut down soon. I plan to get them seasoned then, if not sooner. I'll post some pix then.

Bbqgeekness, that's a nice score you got there. You've got to love fle markets.

I have not been able to get them seasoned yet. Took the handles off, cleaned them up and then realized we were out of oil. :doh: My company goes on shut down soon. I plan to get them seasoned then, if not sooner. I'll post some pix then.

Flax seed oil will give you the hardest & slickest surface for you. I season with flax seed oil several times--until it is solid glossy black--, then finish it up with a saturated fat oil like clarified butter, or rendered bacon grease, etc..

Back