Need some Grill Grate tips

Blythewood BBQ'er

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Picked up a set of Grill Grates for my performer and I'm kinda struggling with getting a good steak off of them. I have no issues nailing a perfect reverse seared steak, but I am having issues with over cooking on the Grill Grates. Last night I tried 3 minutes rotate 3 minutes flip, then the same on the other side. Came out medium. Next time I'm going to try a reverse sear and see if that works better. Any tips Brethren?

When I do reverse sears with GG, I usually take them to 115 or so and then sear for a minute, flip and twist, repeat, etc for 4 total minutes searing

f1ea18b1ad07eece82e7db14c6c326d2.jpg

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great tips everyone! I think I might pull one section out and do a reverse sear. I was trying to cook them straight over the coals. I have the set that covers the whole grill so maybe only one section over the coals to use to sear will be the way to go. Guess that's half the fun of our hobby, trying to figure things out. Thanks guys!

Yeah I just got a set as well for my weber kettle. I have been reverse searing for a long time with the help of the vortex. Stupid easy. Did some burgers for my first GG cook and I overshot the target temp about 5 degrees. Still were tasty but yeah they cook quick on the GG. Doing some chicken breasts tomorrow. Have yet to do a steak but I imagine I'll still have a "cool" side. Some good thoughts here and hoping to learn some more.

Do you have an IR thermometer? Knowing the surface temp would make it pretty easy to guestimate your total cook time.

You can use the GG over the whole grill, but just bank your coals and do the reverse sear you are used to. Another tip is to flip the GGs upside down and do the sear on the griddle side. Makes for a complete nice sear, not just those grid lines. It doesn't take long to sear...

Back