Uds

doeboy

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I built a UDS, it has 3 1/2" holes in bottom with valves and 8 7/8" holes in lid but I can't get the temp higher than 200 when the lid is on. What do you think the problem is?

You need more intake. I run 3-3/4" with plugs and 1-1" riser with a ball valve. Normally once I get it going it's the 1" wide open with the others closed, runs about 275.

More intake.

Definitely.

(your basket design and start up procedures could have some impact- but you need more air)

intake holes and valve too small. need to be 3/4" or even 1". exhaust holes should be 1"

Agree with poster above me...intake holes are too small. If you have a ball valve on every one also you are REALLY constricting the air flow..

I have three but all three are 3/4 inch and only one has a ball valve.

Currently building my first UDS. I would add myself as a +1 to the above with not enough intake. After pouring relentlessly through the UDS Mother thread (yes, it's a ton of info) I'm going with 4 3/4" intake holes. Two will be near the base of the drum and be able to be capped. the other two will have risers with full port valves. Using full port valves seems to be of the utmost importance. I'm hoping this, coupled with plenty of exhaust that I can also dampen or run wid eopen, will give me all the adjustments I need to keep it low and slow or crank it up if i want for crisping chicken skin etc.

Back