OT - Got Tired Of Running Out Of Refrigeration Space

CT-Mike

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
The garage beer fridge was dying, and with the catering side gig, I was running out of cold storage on a regular basis. Found this 6x6 Norlake at a restaurant auction a few weeks back and picked it up for a great price. Needs a little clean up but it maintains 35F all day long.

Finally got around to putting it together yesterday. Leaving the door off until I have the electrical ran and ready to energize.

Not a lot of clearance between the compressor and the air handler, but it’ll do.

Attachments

• 87B3C277-C24D-4DEF-92F6-151F325F4F70.jpg
    87B3C277-C24D-4DEF-92F6-151F325F4F70.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 536
I've considered building a walk-in, but buying one at auction intrigues me, also. Can I ask what you had to pay?

I've considered building a walk-in, but buying one at auction intrigues me, also. Can I ask what you had to pay?

After the auctioneers fee and sales tax it was just over $1,800. The compressor was just serviced/recharged in late 2015 so I should be good for quite some time.

It only needs a 110v 20 amp feed for the compressor and the door heater so not horrible on the electric bill.

Very interesting, thanks. I bet by the time I got all-in building one, I'd be well over halfway to what you spent. Is it something you are able to totally set up yourself, or will there be labor costs also?

Very interesting, thanks. I bet by the time I got all-in building one, I'd be well over halfway to what you spent. Is it something you are able to totally set up yourself, or will there be labor costs also?

All the panels are held together via cam locks. Side panels attach to the floor and the ceiling attaches to the side panels the same way. Literally takes 15 minutes to assemble or disassemble.

https://youtu.be/dzcnCO1HfPM

Would you anticipate additional work to dump out the extra heat that thing generates, or is that already a managed situation?
...move it out of the room that encloses the walk-in, is what I meant to ask

Last edited:
Would you anticipate additional work to dump out the extra heat that thing generates, or is that already a managed situation?
...move it out of the room that encloses the walk-in, is what I meant to ask

It is in a 26’ x 42’ fully insulated 3-bay garage. Not too worried about it getting too hot.

It is in a 26’ x 42’ fully insulated 3-bay garage. Not too worried about it getting too hot.

It is still a valid point to consider if your garage isn't air conditioned. The extra heat generated by the compressor will add to the ambient heat of the room and make the compressor work harder to overcome heat of it's own making..

That is fantastic. I’ve always wanted one for hanging deer.

Was really confused on what this was on the first look. Didn’t realize it was sideways picture. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back