UDS Water Pan

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
For those who use them, what are you guys using for a water pan in your (around 22") UDS?

I have never used one in mine and thought that was the beauty of a UDS...

How do you think it would improve the performance any or are you just trying to introduce flavor with something like apple juice?

I have never used one in mine and thought that was the beauty of a UDS...

How do you think it would improve the performance any or are you just trying to introduce flavor with something like apple juice?

What I did on my ham, and why, but I used pineapple juice...

2011-11-24115153.jpg

I use the ash pan from an old Brinkman Smoke N Pit that I bought at the thrift store for $5. I hold it up with some 3/8 bolts and fill it with sand.

Interesting thing about it, you can perfectly fit an aluminum half pan in it for beans under your meat. This lets you get the nice drippings in the beans. :-D

Kinda small for a 23" diameter 55 gallon drum IMO.

If I were to use a waterpan in a UDS :doh: I'd use a stainless steel mixing bowl that you can get at any decent restaurant supply. Here is a pic of the one that comes with the Cajun Bandit Kettle conversion kit sitting beneath the cook grate.

Some people use a clay pot base, foiled over as a UDS heat sink.

IMG_1103.jpg

Blasphemers!!

I use one but for a different reason. I use it with water to capture the grease from ABT's or chicken so I don't have grease fires.

Back