• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Reverse flow nds

thebbqkid

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been reading up on bds and looking at alot of pictures but have not seen a reverse flow yet. I'm sure there are some out there but haven't seen any yet. Also having a reverse flow theres no need to have the second exhaust to the second barrel cutting the cost. That's my logic just wondering what everyone thinks.
Thanks
The kid

Yeah, you can see a reverse flow- any smoker on Lang's website. The exhaust on a reverse flow is on the same side as the firebox- thats one of the ways that you can tell the difference.

From the pictures and illustrations I have seen, The BDS is basically a UDS. They are vertical cookers and the smoke and the heat pass over the food as it exits the cooker.

If this is the case, there would be no need for reverse flow.

Maybe the BDS you have seen is different, but reverse flow are used on horizontal smokers so that the heat and smoke are somewhat evenly distributed across the food.

I should have put double drum smoker, you buy a barrel stove kit and put it together. But I want to make it a reverse flow just something different I think it will work , im just wondering if there will be a heat pocket where the smoke comes in from the bottom barrel above heat diver

I should have put double drum smoker, you buy a barrel stove kit and put it together. But I want to make it a reverse flow just something different I think it will work , im just wondering if there will be a heat pocket where the smoke comes in from the bottom barrel above heat diver

Ohh. Double drum smoker. (word for the newbie) Sometimes, its easier to just say what you mean than to try to abbreviate it. We don't all speak in code on here. :thumb:

For a Double Drum though, a Reverse Flow design would essentially be useless. The point of a Double Drum design is to not have to use a reverse flow system. The fire is under the cook chamber, escaping up on either end of the cooker, then exits through a center stack on the cook chamber. Trying to design one as a reverse flow would be a waste of time and effort. It would be like trying to make a UDS a reverse flow.

If you are only using one one barrel kit and have it offset to one side, I don't see why you wouldn't benefit from a reverse design. I'm just not sure how efficient it would be. I bet it would be a fuel hog.

That's what I want to do only have one kit and have a divider in it to make it a reverse, I get what bass is saying when you have two pipes going to the top barrel from the bottom but if you only have one kit, in theory it should work

Back