3,000 mile trek...

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
... ending over Memorial weekend.

This adventure was based on several purposes... and started as a bbq experience driving from
Harrisburg, PA to the Pretty Good BBQ (Dayton, Ohio)... then up driving to Milwaukee, Wisconsin,
then Omaha, NE... then back to Dayton, OH... before arriving home last night.

For the long version...

The Pretty Good BBQ was already covered on an earlier post...
picture.php

10 butts later...
picture.php

After the BBQ Sunday... dropped the trailer in storage since there's no reason to haul it westbound
without a contest on the horizon. With the memory of Dr. BBQ's recent experience with his trailer... made it a little harder.
picture.php

Drove to Milwaukee to see my little brother... and met up with Billy (fatboyz) again.
With a few days rest, take-out, and 20 lbs later later...
picture.php

Was tempted by Fatboyz and Divemaster to mosey up to the Dells.... (100 miles later)...
and a few banners were displayed. Met a bunch of Brethren, too.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Finally turned around and headed southbound towards Omaha. .. forgot how wide Iowa was.
The true goal reaching Nebraska was returnining a few of my mother's personal items back to her kin...
as another rememberance was shared. Also was put to work... wound up sharing a few lessons
with my uncle... over a well used charbroil Silver... q-ing up 4 racks babybacks and 2 whole chickens.
(sorry... no pron... uncle bought hormel racks... ugh!!). Left him a copy of Paul Kirk's Championship
book on rubs and marinades. Once he tasted the butter, honey, and brown sugar (without sauce)...
you swore he heard the angels sing.

Also a respect to my Dad... who was an Air Force Crew Chief out of Thule, Greenland for the
beginning formation of the Strategic Air Command... where Omaha housed the Museum of the SAC.
It was a mind-blowing experience and splitting and folding time sharing an emotional time with my Dad
(who is slowly fading away due to Alzheimer's).

To stand next to and touch the airplanes he worked on was moving.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Almost forgot... look was only a mile away from where I was staying in Omaha...
tried to offer if I could take it off their hands... trying to encourage them to upgrade...
(me too). Altho... had to leave it there. Just knew a Brethren might be looking for one.
picture.php

After Omaha... headed back east for the trailer in Dayton... and was still there.
Didn't realize there was National Air Force museum right in Dayton.
200 pics and 4 hours later... left homeward bound.

Dropped the trailer, and crawled thru the door at 10:00 last night.

It was a long 18 day journey with my mind on my Mom and Dad, and was surrounded by Brethren., friends, family, and BBQ!!!

BTW: the food at Amarillo's BBQ is mighty tasty... had a half rack and brisket (and has masssive 3 Old Hickory) smokers!!!

Last edited:
Bandit,it was great meeting you and hearing of your trip!

Good seeing ya again at the PGBBQ! Glad to hear your trip went well! :thumb:

Sounds like you had a great trip. The SAC Museum has some incredible pieces, glad you got a chance to make a stop.

That was one heck of a trip Bandit.
Great to cook with you at the PGBBQ in Dayton and hope to do it again.
Rest up my friend and brother as you really deserve it.

I just about soiled my knickers when I saw you in the Dells Bob. Quite a surprise to see you less than a week after PGBBQ.

I hope you found Wisconsin to be a pleasant place.

It sounds like your trip was uneventful in a good way. Great to see you again.

that is one heck of a trip there! I grew up right across the street from the original SAC Museum at Offutt AFB in Bellevue (before they moved it out west) - I have not even been back and seen the new one near Ashland yet, but it looks like there is quite a bit to see there

Thanks for the pics. My daughter was stationed at Wright Patterson in Dayton and we also got to see the aviation museum. That was so much fun. Made a parent proud.

Nice meeting you at PGBBQ in Dayton Bob. Sounds like a long but somewhat relaxing trip. Glad you and your trailer made it home safe and sound

Take Care
Eric

Oooooh...that sounds good!
Thanks for giving us a taste of the trip!

Nice going Bob,
looks and sounds like a great trip;
you are truly a roving ambassador of the BBQ Brethren!

What a Fantastic post. Reading and looking at the excellent pron I almost felt as if I was along for the ride. Glad you had a safe and fun trip.

Back