MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
kevinc
Knows what a fatty is.

Question Advice: Fix or Junk My Gasser

I have a Perfect Flame 2518SL-LPG that has served me for about 8 years.

About a year ago, I had to replace the burner tubes because one had rusted out. About 6 months ago, we moved to temporary housing where I didn't use my grill but it sat outside under a cover.

After we moved, I attempted ot use the grill and noticed that the part of the firebox where the burner tubes connect is rusted out as well (which lets gas escape and flares up).

Below are some pics of the firebox (with the grill grates and flame tamers removed) which you can see is pretty nasty (and rust is starting to form) as well as the burners in question where the parts have rusted out.

Is this even fixable? I had a HELL of a time just getting the old burners off due to the years of built up crud and whatnot, I can't imagine replacing these parts or the entire firebox itself. I don't even see user replaceable parts on their website: http://www.clagrills.com/allgrillpar...2518sl-lpg.htm

Thoughts?
kevinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
kevinc
Knows what a fatty is.

Damn, I cannot seem to make these images smaller. Sorry

Old 01-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Drunk Monkey
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

something something something get a Weber 22.5 otg

Old 01-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

I vote "junk it". Go shopping :-))

“stay silent, they haven’t seen what you’ve seen”
Wife
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
mcyork28
is Blowin Smoke!

I went through this drill a few years ago with a Kenmore gasser. I replaced the same parts you are talking about and ended up having to junk it about a year later anyway because other parts started rusting out. I would cut your losses and junk it now.
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
kevinc
Knows what a fatty is.

Re: junking it.

Is this something the local metal recycler / scrapyard would take? I imagine theres probably a good bit of recyclable metal in there that should be worth _something_ to someone.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
Re: junking it.

Is this something the local metal recycler / scrapyard would take? I imagine theres probably a good bit of recyclable metal in there that should be worth _something_ to someone.
where I live if I put it on my curb the night before garbage day, it would be gone by the time I walked up to the house

seriously
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #8
kevinc
Knows what a fatty is.

Wow, it looks like Perflect Flame is quite the POS:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...ect_flame.html

From reading the complaints, I'm lucky that 1.) the grill lasted 6 years before rusting and 2.) I still have eyebrows!

Old 01-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Several years ago I tried to fix my old gasser - I say tried to fix - I replaced everything fine but it never did really burn the same. I say you got your money's worth time to upgrade.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

I would cut my losses and junk it. For the costs and continued headache of fixing it, you may be able to find a used but-in-good-condition Weber on Craigslist. Mine's going on 13+ years now.

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
[COLOR=blue]Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Thermapen[/COLOR]
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
Bigr314
Babbling Farker

Junk it. Always need an excuse to get a new cooker.
Shirley Fabrication 24x50 RF with warmer(Boss Hogg)

Tab Benoit- Must listen to this artist. A cross between southern blues,Stevie Ray, and Louisiana cajun. Great listening while having a brew and tending the stick burner.
Bigr314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
kevinc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigr314 View Post
Junk it. Always need an excuse to get a new cooker.
If it wasn't $700 for the Weber Genesis that I want, it would have been done by now :)

I know the spirit is cheaper but my father has one and I don't like how the plastic knobs and handles heat up.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #13
IlliniQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
After we moved, I attempted ot use the grill and noticed that the part of the firebox where the burner tubes connect is rusted out as well (which lets gas escape and flares up).
This is about the point in your post when I sealed my "junk it" vote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
where I live if I put it on my curb the night before garbage day, it would be gone by the time I walked up to the house
Same here. I put an old gasser out that had similar problems to the OP several years ago (I cut the gas line off because the thing was an explosion waiting to happen and wanted to make sure whoever took it couldn't hook it up without making repairs). Put it outside with a little "free, take me" sign on it, and it was gone in about 30 minutes.

Back to the OP's dilemma, if you're not in the market for a Weber right now, I'd at least replace your current gas grill with a new mid-level gasser. I have an older version of this one from Home Depot myself, and while it's no weber, i'm pretty happy with it for weeknight grilling...

Old 01-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #14
akoda
is one Smokin' Farker

Buy the best and cry once!

Quote:
If it wasn't $700 for the Weber Genesis that I want, it would have been done by now :)

I know the spirit is cheaper but my father has one and I don't like how the plastic knobs and handles heat up.
Weber 18
Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Gasser
Superfast Red Thermopen

Old Church, Va
akoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Replace it, I had one and there some safety concerns going around about it.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote