MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #6646
Jeff S.
Full Fledged Farker

Has anyone ever tried putting 90° elbows on the inside of the intakes?

If you turned them all in the same direction, say all pointing to the right, seems like it would create a swirl effect of the air coming in.

As soon as I can get to the depot, Im going to pick three up and then try the biscuit test, with and without.

Jeff

Trailer'd LownSlo 48" x 20" with a Char-Broil Grill
Hinged Dome UDS, Weber Kettle lid UDS
Weber Performer
[COLOR=red]Red (Super Lightning Fast)Lithium-Ion powered ThermoPen[/COLOR]
2 Modded ET-73's 2 stock '73's
IGrill
WSBA, PNWBA, KCBS, KCBS CBJ
It's the I behind the Eye that see's
Jeff S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #6647
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post

If you turned them all in the same direction, say all pointing to the right, seems like it would create a swirl effect of the air coming in.

As soon as I can get to the depot, Im going to pick three up and then try the biscuit test, with and without.

Jeff
Real interesting idea - but since most cook with caps on all the inlets but one, wouldn't you only need an elbow on the inlet with the valve?
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #6648
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Don't you know that forums like this exist solely for all of us to over-think things that could be simple? Where's the fun in making it simple? If things are complicated, it's easier to immerse yourself and eat up all of your spare (and not spare) time!
Because Rodney it's probably best to build the 1st one the k.i.s.s. way then you'll see you shouldn't have any problems or complaints. Then if you want build a second one and experiment all you want. Most that have problems or complain about how there UDS doesn't work the way it should haven't followed the directions. I do agree with you about someone building it any way they want but don't complain when it doesn't work the way you thought it would is all I'm saying.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #6649
Jeff S.
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl-rich View Post
Real interesting idea - but since most cook with caps on all the inlets but one, wouldn't you only need an elbow on the inlet with the valve?
Since I cook at temps ranging from 225 to 350. I personaly would want elbows on all 3 inlets.

Seems like the incoming air would tend to swirl and even things out even more.

Jeff

Trailer'd LownSlo 48" x 20" with a Char-Broil Grill
Hinged Dome UDS, Weber Kettle lid UDS
Weber Performer
[COLOR=red]Red (Super Lightning Fast)Lithium-Ion powered ThermoPen[/COLOR]
2 Modded ET-73's 2 stock '73's
IGrill
WSBA, PNWBA, KCBS, KCBS CBJ
It's the I behind the Eye that see's
Jeff S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #6650
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post

Jeff
Neat idea! Let us know how it works. I'm really interested to find out if it makes any difference
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #6651
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

if the nipples are going straight in, should we still be using the "close" nipples, or does it work better to use a longer one to get the air more to the center of the drum?
energyzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #6652
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Because Rodney it's probably best to build the 1st one the k.i.s.s. way then you'll see you shouldn't have any problems or complaints. Then if you want build a second one and experiment all you want. Most that have problems or complain about how there UDS doesn't work the way it should haven't followed the directions. I do agree with you about someone building it any way they want but don't complain when it doesn't work the way you thought it would is all I'm saying.
Sorry, shoulda made the sarcasm in my post more apparent. I'm with ya.
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #6653
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyzer View Post
if the nipples are going straight in, should we still be using the "close" nipples, or does it work better to use a longer one to get the air more to the center of the drum?

Close always works best for me. An added bonus is when you have to scrape/clean the inside the longer gets in the way.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #6654
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Close always works best for me. An added bonus is when you have to scrape/clean the inside the longer gets in the way.
Good point!
energyzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #6655
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

I just have a BGE intake and my drum just hums along. This is usually low and slow cooking so there is not a big air intake to begin with. More air usually translates to higher temps, just sayin......

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #6656
Sugar-T
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Remember I am new here....

I am going to build me at least one of these Ugly Drum Cookers \ Smokers. However, I have read and looked on here and don't see a parts list or instructions for the basic drum smoker. I have all the drums I need in case I mess up but I guess I would like to know the distance of the air holes from the bottom, the size of the wood basket, placement of the lower rack and the upper rack distance from the top.

I am amazed at the simplicity but yet complicated cooking these drums provide. All of youhave some wonderful stories and pictures of your food experience. When I figure this all out I will send pics and let you all know how I did and wait to be gradded on my progress.

Thanks and please keep this all going, great site and very happy I found this spot on the www.

Sugar

Old 09-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #6657
citrus
Full Fledged Farker

Good point Sugar-T, a parts list would be great for those of us wanting to build a UDS.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #6658
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

Default Paint / Powder Coating

This may be an oxymoron to an UDS, but I am trying to “pretty-up” my UDS. Have any of you tried to powder coat your drum? I have made a few of these over the years and have had great success at competitions. The latest one I have I used high temp engine paint. It worked well but I can see it starting to fade towards the bottom third of the drum where the primary heat source is.

Curious about powder coating.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #6659
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar-T View Post
Remember I am new here....

I am going to build me at least one of these Ugly Drum Cookers \ Smokers. However, I have read and looked on here and don't see a parts list or instructions for the basic drum smoker. I have all the drums I need in case I mess up but I guess I would like to know the distance of the air holes from the bottom, the size of the wood basket, placement of the lower rack and the upper rack distance from the top.

I am amazed at the simplicity but yet complicated cooking these drums provide. All of youhave some wonderful stories and pictures of your food experience. When I figure this all out I will send pics and let you all know how I did and wait to be gradded on my progress.

Thanks and please keep this all going, great site and very happy I found this spot on the www.

Sugar
It is highly suggested that you spend some time and try to make it through this thread. I, as most, have done it and it is really to your benefit. That being said...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #6660
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
It is highly suggested that you spend some time and try to make it through this thread. I, as most, have done it and it is really to your benefit. That being said...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943
Here's another reference to look at if you don't want to weld:
http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/...-part-1-a.html

Lots of people on here just use magnetic vinyl sheet over holes in the drum to throttle the intake air. When smoking, the drum (at least near the bottom) doesn't get very hot at all, so this works fine. FYI, Home Depot has white magnetic sheets, 8" x 15" in a 3-pack, for $5. They're sold as A/C vent shutoff covers.

Also, if you need some info on charcoal basket construction, check out the video in my signature. It'll at least give you one perspective...

Have fun!

-Rodney
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker