How can you compete with prices like this?

The best thing I've heard about them is "They're okay". That's the best compliment I've heard from anyone that's eaten there. I will still visit it myself. Though my expectations continue to lower...

Have you eaten at the Silver Star Smokehouse or Country Tavern? If so what are your thoughts on them?

No, I haven't yet. With Blue Moon though, there sides seemed like afterthoughts, very bland. There meat was extremely dry and had no flavor except a taste of meat being re-heated again and again. This was in July, maybe they're better now.

As for competing with prices, I agree with Bigmista.

This is what pisses me off about most BBQ joints. Or at least the ones here in Shreveport and the surrounding area. The quality of the sides suck. Even the Silver Star Smoke House (which I consider one of the best in Shreveport/Bossier area) goes low end on their sides. I know this for a fact because my buddy smokes the meat. He said their bbq beans are nothing more than ranch beans out of a can with a touch of a store bought seasoning salt. Most of the time the most disappointing side items are slaw and bbq beans. I wish these places would put more love and care in their sides.

No, I haven't yet. With Blue Moon though, there sides seemed like afterthoughts, very bland. There meat was extremely dry and had no flavor except a taste of meat being re-heated again and again. This was in July, maybe they're better now.

As for competing with prices, I agree with Bigmista.

Like I said, BBQ is the bottom of the foodchain. Well maybe tied with chinese buffet joints. That said, it's not just BBQ restaurants that use canned veggies, almost all do. Canned beans are a 1/10th the hassle to prepare than dry beans are so why wouldnt they? Plus the italian green beans, just add some onions garlic and bacon. BBQ just happens to be very basic and forgiving which includes the sides. That is the beauty of BBQ, it's easy flavorful and highly profitable.

The thing that pisses me off about a BBQ joint is when the meat is slightly dry but good overall and you decide to add the sauce and the sauce turns out to be total crap. You say to yourself "isn't there a store bought sauce that would have worked?"

Most sides I taste at bbq joints are bland and just plain slung together. I wonder sometimes do these people even taste what they're serving when it comes to slaw, bbq beans and tater salad. I understand the time factor and needing to have things that are quick and easy. No one is asking for "made from scratch" but good god is this the best they can do? :lol: I've tasted a many of bbq bean, slaw and tater salad recipes that are as simple as they can be that taste better than most Q joints around these parts. I also think that is why that one owner, local Q joints are better than multi location, franchised like establishments. The one owner "mom and pop" type places take the time to put a little bit extra in what they serve.

It's an old saying but I believe it is very true. The "hole in the wall" type Q joints usually serve the best all around Q.

Like I said, BBQ is the bottom of the foodchain. Well maybe tied with chinese buffet joints. That said, it's not just BBQ restaurants that use canned veggies, almost all do. Canned beans are a 1/10th the hassle to prepare than dry beans are so why wouldnt they? Plus the italian green beans, just add some onions garlic and bacon. BBQ just happens to be very basic and forgiving which includes the sides. That is the beauty of BBQ, it's easy flavorful and highly profitable.

The thing that pisses me off about a BBQ joint is when the meat is slightly dry but good overall and you decide to add the sauce and the sauce turns out to be total crap. You say to yourself "isn't there a store bought sauce that would have worked?"

Last edited:
Back