MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

Default How long does meat absorb smoke?

follow-up -- about chicken -- I'm thinking about smoking for a bit, pulling the fire out of the firebox (for safety), and then switching to gas.

The idea is to achieve some apple smoke flavor and then take advantage of the potentially higher and steady heat of gas (which is still indirect in my smoker, although above 275 the radiant heat reaches the meat more directly than at 230-265).

Should be the same principle as moving to an oven but without the downsides.

Salient question -- how long does meat most actively absorb smoke? To what temperature, more specifically? Chicken, ribs, butts, brisket -- are there major differences?

Old 10-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

In my experience the smoke ring stops forming at around the 140 degree mark, but all meats continue to absorb smoke to a diminishing degree as long as they are exposed to it.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Chicken and other poultry absorb smoke like a sponge. It's easy to oversmoke. With pork butts, I have to work to give them enough.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

Cool -- thanks. The 140 mark really helps. I can't wait to see how easy it is to regulate (and elevate) the temperature in my rather big cooking chamber with my sort of small firebox. I am welding a cylindrical Char-Grill firebox from Lowes perpendicularly onto the back side of a sideways oriented drum smoker, 48"x30". The two drums will look like a "T" from above. Smoke will enter the cooking chamber via a 4" flue, equaled by the two 2" diameter stacks. The O2 intake is adjustable and on the opposite end of the firebox (of course). My welder tossed some paper in there and reports that the draft is excellent. But I don't know if I can get enough heat into the main chamber to reach those higher temps. Next week I'll know -- a report and PRON will follow!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
In my experience the smoke ring stops forming at around the 140 degree mark, but all meats continue to absorb smoke to a diminishing degree as long as they are exposed to it.
I agree with the above. While the smoke rings stops forming, it's still sucking up the flavors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldholler View Post
follow-up -- about chicken -- I'm thinking about smoking for a bit, pulling the fire out of the firebox (for safety), and then switching to gas.

The idea is to achieve some apple smoke flavor and then take advantage of the potentially higher and steady heat of gas (which is still indirect in my smoker, although above 275 the radiant heat reaches the meat more directly than at 230-265).

Should be the same principle as moving to an oven but without the downsides.

Salient question -- how long does meat most actively absorb smoke? To what temperature, more specifically? Chicken, ribs, butts, brisket -- are there major differences?
My only concern would be the formation of water when the gas burns... You may loose some of the 'crispyness'. Other than that it should work file.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

The last gas grill I had came with a cast iron smoker box. No top on it. Just load the box with chips and place on the grate. When it gets hot enough it would start to smoke.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldholler View Post
Sounds like a lot of work for something that cooks in about an hour.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
Sounds like a lot of work for something that cooks in about an hour.
I typically cook thighs and quarters for 4 hours at 235 to 250. Falls off the bone like pulled pork. I'll try this faster, higher heat thing on wings, but I'm not inclined to speed up the process on bigger things and ruin perfection...

But you're right -- if I can get the temp high enough with the smoke, there'll be no reason to switch over!