• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st Brisket on UDS (since joining bbq-brethren - 2 failed ones before that)

Kubbie

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
8.3 lb Costco flat.

3 step rub - barbefunkoramaque style (got the idea from http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/5/DMVK0-aR2sA)

• 1. Lawrey's
  • 2. Homemade low-salt rub
  • 3. Coarse Black pepper + Coarse Sea Salt + no-salt lemmon pepper

No injection or marinade. Fat cap up.

Fired up UDS at 5:30 am, got up to about 300°, meat on at about 6:30.

We'll see how this goes, still going to do some reading on foil/no foil, flip/no-flip/ broth injection, how long to hold (oven/foil/cooler).

DSC04993-vi.jpg

DSC04994-vi.jpg

How did you do the 2 that failed? Brisket is one of my biggest challenges also.

Looks like a goos start - good luck - and yeah - what was the fail on the other 2?

How did you do the 2 that failed? Brisket is one of my biggest challenges also.

Honestly - I don't remember. I think they were completely trimmed +/- 3 lb flats I found at a grocery store. It was a couple years ago and they were so dry that I erased that memory.

I've learned a lot in the last year just from reading here.

Before the Brethren days, I started smoking on my gasser with a chip box, then a $79 charbroil smoker that I couldn't hold for 10 minutes (roller coaster between 150° and 350°) Too much looking, to much tinkering with the fire, damper, flipping meat...

Hated smoking.

Started looking for online reviews of good smokers, didn't have the budget for a Klose, found this here, built a UDS and rest is (my short) history. Many butts, fattys, abts, moinks, ribs and chicken on the UDS since then, just haven't gotten to brisket since being enlightened.

Looking good! I have foiled mine around 7-8 hours when they reached 160 and looked good. Hope it turns out perfect for you!

Your rub looks GREAT! Anxious to hear your results.... Good Luck!

Seems to be parked at about 170 now (12:00 noon, so about 5 1/2 hours into it).
Smoker running at 270°

It's not the dark bark like I see on your pics, so too early to foil, or should I even do it?

Any guess how many hours an 8 pounder like this will go? (I know "done when done" and buttery when probed, just trying to plan for dinner...)

DSC04996-vi.jpg

Last edited:
I'd forget the foil if it were me. I would guess a total of 10-12 hours based of the weight.

Probed and no resistance, internal at 198°, looks perfect now.

OK - now how do I park it best? I want to serve in 3-4 hours.

Wrap it in foil and stick it in a cooler. Fill the remaining space with newspapers or old towels or whatever you have. It will hold fine for that long.

An 8 lb flat in 6 1/2 hours? Man, you must be living right :thumb:

Great job! :clap2:

1. The guy who you are taking this recipe from is an idiot.
2. It looks like Paulie from Goodfellas sliced each peppercorn with a razor individually so I would be concerned about foiling.
3.This should be good... especially the next one where you don't have to open your drum and take pictures.

I just did a small order of 30 rack of ribs. For ten they got 1/3 link of sausage, 2 huge ribs, Sugar Coma Baked Beans, sauce and one irregular.

It was the first time I got the church to put everything (except the sauce and beans) in butcher paper so now my process is complete. The kitchen was clean before the lunch service it went so good. Bags, ya know.

8.3 lb Costco flat.

3 step rub - barbefunkoramaque style (got the idea from http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/5/DMVK0-aR2sA)

• 1. Lawrey's
  • 2. Homemade low-salt rub
  • 3. Coarse Black pepper + Coarse Sea Salt + no-salt lemmon pepper

No injection or marinade. Fat cap up.

Fired up UDS at 5:30 am, got up to about 300°, meat on at about 6:30.

We'll see how this goes, still going to do some reading on foil/no foil, flip/no-flip/ broth injection, how long to hold (oven/foil/cooler).

DSC04993-vi.jpg

DSC04994-vi.jpg

Not sliced yet, I'm guessing right before serving is best?

I actually turned down the UDS to 200° - 180°, turned fat cap down (not to get bark soggy), foiled underneath and loosely tented it and let it coast along for another few hours.
I read somewhere barbefunkoramaque wrote that the Texas joints will hold them in the sausage smoker at +/- 150° before serving. Bark developed in that time to the color I wanted.

This is a pic before coolering. When I picked it up, juice was just oozing out from it - that's not condensation on top! Can't wait.

I have to give thanks to bigabyte for the Basic Brisket Tutorial (pron heavy) for courage not to mess another one up.
I am a firm believer now that a dry tough one is undercooked, not overcooked.

And thanks to barbefunkoramaque for not worrying about 270° - 320°. This would be a hot/fast, correct?

(Oh and the missing piece top left - chef's bite...)

DSC04999-vi.jpg

That looks good, seems like you did all your homework. Just the eating is left.

Everyone thought it was incredible.
I thought it was too salty - my guess is too much Lawrey's.
I wanted to taste more of the beef.

It was tender and juicy, (pics don't show, but each slice was squeezing juice out), just not dripping wet like I have seen some.
It probably went too long, there was no snap, almost falling apart.

But overall I'm happy.

Smoke ring was intense red, I never got it that bright magenta on pork.

DSC05002-vi.jpg

DSC05003-vi.jpg

Man, that looks good and you sliced it right. Nice job. I found I had to cut the salt in the tri-level rub when I used it.

Back