MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Traeger lil tex elite finally home

Finally was able to swing by my buddies house and pick up this Traeger lil tex elite. It's been sitting for over a year ... so needs a good solid burn but first I need to resolve the issue when I plug it in. Immediately upon plugging it in it read 'err'

I think that its the thermostat but not sure. Anyone familiar with these? I had posted I was getting this in a previous thread and there were some good links mentioned, just want to make sure I am getting a part that works for this model as I know nothing about them. If it is best to replace both the thermostat and the controller I'm ok with that just need some direction and help.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

I believe this is the part I need but I'm not sure.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BAC233

Old 02-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Geek - I'm no expert at all, but I had a similar problem with the Big Tex a few years ago. Call the Traeger factory and ask for service department. A terrific lady walked me through a quick diagnostic (unplugging 1 of 3 wires at a time, if I recall). At any rate, my Error was caused by an easily replaced sensor. ... food for thought, hope it's helpful.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Spoke with a Traeger tech - $23 RTD Sensor - ordered and on its way. Friend that had the pit before me said the fan might run slow, told that to the guy and he said this should fix it. If not I will be getting a new 180 Thermostat for it. $99 fun stuff. I am hoping worth the repairs ;)

Best place to get Pellets anyone? Also is it OK to mix ?? IE Apple plus Pecan?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDGeek View Post
Spoke with a Traeger tech - $23 RTD Sensor - ordered and on its way. Friend that had the pit before me said the fan might run slow, told that to the guy and he said this should fix it. If not I will be getting a new 180 Thermostat for it. $99 fun stuff. I am hoping worth the repairs ;)

Best place to get Pellets anyone? Also is it OK to mix ?? IE Apple plus Pecan?
it'll be well worth the repair......

keep in mind you can get pellets locally. or Traeger will ship them for free.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

For those of you that have this smoker, can you please tell me a little about your experience with it?

How much can you cook on it? Cold weather performance? Easy to use? What would be a good price for a slightly used one?
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole D View Post
For those of you that have this smoker, can you please tell me a little about your experience with it?

How much can you cook on it? Cold weather performance? Easy to use? What would be a good price for a slightly used one?
From the looks of it I can probably do 3 racks of St. Louis cut ribs flat at a time OR 2 maybe 3 pork shoulders OR 1 brisket. It is not a huge pit by any means. But for a family cook should do nicely. I am looking forward to doing a couple cooks on it and I'll keep everyone posted on how it does.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole D View Post

I don't have one, but I have seen them in action. I would say that the capacity that GMDGeek posted it accurate. As far as cold weather, the controller will just feed more pellets to keep the temp up, so it will hold temp fine, but you'll burn more pellets. A welding blanket over the top will help cut down the pellet consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDGeek View Post
From the looks of it I can probably do 3 racks of St. Louis cut ribs flat at a time OR 2 maybe 3 pork shoulders OR 1 brisket. It is not a huge pit by any means. But for a family cook should do nicely. I am looking forward to doing a couple cooks on it and I'll keep everyone posted on how it does.
You're going to want to adjust the way you cook a little. The pellets burn very efficiently so there isn't as much smoke flavor. Most pellet heads cook at a lower temp for the beginning of the cook for the big meats to get more smoke. On the Traeger analog controller that's what the Smoke setting does. I cook at a lower temp for the first couple of hours for butts and briskets on my pellet smoker and then kick the temp up after that.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
You're going to want to adjust the way you cook a little. The pellets burn very efficiently so there isn't as much smoke flavor. Most pellet heads cook at a lower temp for the beginning of the cook for the big meats to get more smoke. On the Traeger analog controller that's what the Smoke setting does. I cook at a lower temp for the first couple of hours for butts and briskets on my pellet smoker and then kick the temp up after that.

Thanks Ron ... from what I was seeing on YouTube and a couple posts in here I figured I'd have to go low and slow at first. Will be a slightly learning adjustment but I am OK with that. And I picked up a welding blanket yesterday. I found the measurements for the 'blanket' Traeger sells and my wife is going to cut up the welding blanket and hook me up. I do like that I will be able to get some sleep when doing my weekend cooks. Old pit I'd have to check the fire every 45 - 60 minutes, depending on weather.

That said, I do get to go order a new BIG pit on the 23rd ;)

Old 02-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like you are all hooked up. What BIG pit are you getting?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

I have the Traegar Pig, Texas and Lil Tex. They all are great to cook on. In my opinion, you can mix the pellets as there isn't a whole lot if difference except maybe the fruit ones.

It's pretty much set and forget. I even did a whole pig on mine. Great grills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC_0015.jpg (71.6 KB, 126 views)
powerpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

Found one locally in very good condition for $300. No brainer?
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
Looks like you are all hooked up. What BIG pit are you getting?
Either: Jambo or a S&O Smoker. They are both local to me. Was dead set on the Jambo Economy then was told about the S&O so going to check those out as well. Either way I am ordering one this month.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

As far as pellets, check out Academy Sports. The one by me has pellets for $10 per 20 pound bag. I think this one is close by you.

Academy Sports + Outdoors 0077
4045 N Central Expressway (at Spring Creek)
Plano, TX 75023
(972) 633-4100
powerpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpig View Post
As far as pellets, check out Academy Sports. The one by me has pellets for $10 per 20 pound bag. I think this one is close by you.

Academy Sports + Outdoors 0077
4045 N Central Expressway (at Spring Creek)
Plano, TX 75023
(972) 633-4100
Thanks Powerpig - you are correct... stopping there on the way home. Ironically that one you posted is just down the street from my office lol. Have to stop and get some ammo anyway ;)