MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #76
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfan1968 View Post
I really don't care who I compete against. My main goal in these contests is do the best that I can, have fun and meet some good folks. In the past 3 contests we have been surrounded by 3 teams that competed in Pittmasters last year and done very well and the team who won the whole shootin match, and the team who placed second in the American Royal Invatational. I found all 4 of these teams to be great folks.

My take is don't worry about it and do the best you can.

Sherwood 3 BBQ

My question to you cubfan is this: Did you go to a competition that you knew would have big names, or the potential that big names would be there, or did you go to an amateur contest, thinking that you would be competing against other amateurs just starting out, and they showed up?
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #77
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Here's the online advertisement for the contest:

http://www.mannorchards.com/index.php?p=2_15

Here is the definition of a "professional":

professional [prəˈfɛʃənəl]
adj 1. of, relating to, suitable for, or engaged in as a profession
2. engaging in an activity for gain or as a means of livelihood
3. extremely competent in a job, etc.
4. undertaken or performed for gain or by people who are paid

n 1. (Business / Professions) a person who belongs to or engages in one of the professions
2. a person who engages for his livelihood in some activity also pursued by amateurs
3. a person who engages in an activity with great competence
4. (General Sporting Terms) an expert player of a game who gives instruction, esp to members of a club by whom he is hired

So, how much experience should one have before they are no longer considered an amatuer in competition BBQ?

Old 05-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #78
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
So, how much experience should one have before they are no longer considered an amatuer in competition BBQ?
We have been cooking competively for 6 years. Our first contest was a KCBS sanctioned event. We dove right in and did not have the benefit of an amatuer contest to prepare ourselves with. We have never won a contest, although we have come very close a few times (RGC). We run a tidy site, conduct ourselves accordingly and are always willing to lend a hand if asked. We cook for fun. We are a family team that do this to spend a weekend of fun together. Would you consider us professional?

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #79
cubfan1968
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
My question to you cubfan is this: Did you go to a competition that you knew would have big names, or the potential that big names would be there, or did you go to an amateur contest, thinking that you would be competing against other amateurs just starting out, and they showed up?
Before I entered my first contest a friend told me folks from all around participate in these contests. I figured if you travel some distance you might be pretty good. So yes, I did think there might be "pro" teams there. This pro and amateur thing has me puzzled. If you are doing something for money you are no longer an amatuer. And if your willing to pony up the $$$ for the entry you must think your BBQ is pretty good also.
cubfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #80
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

[QUOTE=Sawdustguy;1657418]We have been cooking competively for 6 years. Our first contest was a KCBS sanctioned event. We dove right in and did not have the benefit of an amatuer contest to prepare ourselves with. We have never won a contest, although we have come very close a few times (RGC). We run a tidy site, conduct ourselves accordingly and are always willing to lend a hand if asked. We cook for fun. We are a family team that do this to spend a weekend of fun together. Would you consider us professional?[/QUOTE]

If you took RGC in a sanctioned contest, I would not consider you an amatuer, that's for sure!!!

Here's a question for you. Now that you've placed and won a few awards, would you enter a contest listed as amatuer?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #81
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #82
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer BBQ View Post
You obviously do have an opinion on the matter... you got on one of the most read BBQ websites in the world to start a thread. You own every post for your screen name, your friend can have his own opinion on his own account.

I'll skip the obvious fact that I don't make a living off contests, and just say i don't consider myself a professional anything. I actually have a finance and computer science degree... and took up BBQ as a hobby... I'm not even a professional at making stock, peeling onions, or chopping celery. Those are actual facts... not stuff you heard from some guy who you know, who had a buddy, who heard that at 31 Flavors Ferris was very sick.

I have been pretty open on the fact that I am the team you think is shady... skirting around actually mentioning my name is lame, just say it... Honestly your vagueness is more shady than anything I did. Calling my business and my team out as hiding isn't something I'm going to allow... its not true. My business is advertised as "Competition BBQ without Competition"... and lists my Transformer BBQ team name as well as my business partners (I Smell Smoke!!! since I'd hate to get a post about how I kept that a secret). The NEBS site, where I got the info on the contest... regularly has things from my business and my team. The point was to promote my business, so hiding that would have been a little counter productive.

Final thoughts: I stopped posting on and reading bbq sites because of this type of garbage. By bashing not only my team, but my business you did call me out... you, not "your friend" called me out. I am done commenting on something you heard third person, but did forward your posts about the organizer to him just to confirm he did say those things. I'll be happy to share his reply if he's ok with that.

So considering the fact that you charge people to take classes on how to cook competition bbq the way you do wouldn't classify you as a professional?

Yes Brendan, this thread was obviously targeted towards the Mann Orchard contest. The reason I was vague on who specifically, was because I wanted to discuss the principle's and ideal's in regards to some one of your experience level entering a contest that seemed to be promoted and geared to an amatuer or newby in the world of competition bbq. Obviously, it didn't evolve that way.

I understand your reasoning behind using your catering company name, but I'm just saying how it looks in the big picture to those that don't know that you have two seperate affiliations and find out after the fact.

Like I said, hopefully next years contest won't leave any room for missinterpretation on any ones part.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #83
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Transformer BBQ is a PROFESSIONAL and cannot go have fun anymore. Pass it on.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #84
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Yes Brendan, this thread was obviously targeted towards the Mann Orchard contest. The reason I was vague on who specifically, was because I wanted to discuss the principle's and ideal's in regards to some one of your experience level entering a contest that seemed to be promoted and geared to an amatuer or newby in the world of competition bbq. Obviously, it didn't evolve that way.

I understand your reasoning behind using your catering company name, but I'm just saying how it looks in the big picture to those that don't know that you have two seperate affiliations and find out after the fact.

Like I said, hopefully next years contest won't leave any room for missinterpretation on any ones part.
From reading your posts, it seems you are more upset about this than your friend. Perhaps I missed it, but if it bothered your friend so much, why didn't he confront the organizer immediately, ask for a refund and go home? Did anyone demand a refund and go home? It sounds like they were ok competing against a caterer and not against a KCBS experienced team. I figure if you are good enough to have a catering business, you probably can cook some good food, so it's hard to understand why they are mad..........other than they didn't win.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #85
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watertowerbbq View Post
From reading your posts, it seems you are more upset about this than your friend. Perhaps I missed it, but if it bothered your friend so much, why didn't he confront the organizer immediately, ask for a refund and go home? Did anyone demand a refund and go home? It sounds like they were ok competing against a caterer and not against a KCBS experienced team. I figure if you are good enough to have a catering business, you probably can cook some good food, so it's hard to understand why they are mad..........other than they didn't win.

He doesn't have a catering company, Brendan does. My friend has approached the organizer. There was no entry fee, so there is nothing to get back in that regard.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #86
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I have not competed in an IBCA contest yet, but it is my understanding that there is no separation between "amateur" and "pro" and that you can expect to see every level of cook at these events.

If the contest makes no distinction between the two then I can't see a problem with anybody competing.

However, if a team with a Jambo Pit and several GC's under their belts decides to roll into some small towns fundraiser event with the intention of showing up the locals and walking away with an easy win then that is out of line IMHO. I don't think that was the intention of Brother Transformer.

I do see the point of both arguments though.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #87
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

I still do not see the point.Where is there a distinction of who or who wasn't allowed. Me, I welcome competition from any level. It has made me better in any field that I used that logic in. I also am not too proud to ask thorough, pertinent questions of those who have more knowledge than myself. If you want to rewrite history, which you can't, I'd say Quit whining and start practicing. Steve.

Last edited by ssbbqguy; 05-29-2011 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: add content
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #88
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Here's the online advertisement for the contest:

http://www.mannorchards.com/index.php?p=2_15

From the Ad it looks like a contest run by Amateurs not some professional organization. It does say it's an amateur smokeoff not a smokeoff for amateur's. Looks like fun I think I will cook it next year. I sure could use a new pellet cooker (just like the one in my avatar)

Last edited by YankeeBBQ; 05-29-2011 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: needed to add ball busting comment
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #89
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Yeah hopefully they institute a no Whining Rule. Of course it will have to apply to the competitors and "their friends"
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #90
Dankster
Found some matches.

Here's my dos centavos...

Yesterday, I cooked in my first comp, the Red, White, and BBQ, in Westmont, IL, a KCBS event. I cooked on the "amateur" side of things. I had a farging blast: met some real cool folks, learned A LOT, and really raised the bar for me, and my expectations of my food.

I have NO problem with a "pro" competing against me. Why would I? Let's see...I saw the way the folks who've done this before came more prepared. I saw all the different equipment folks use. I chatted with many good cooks. I cooked ABT's, burgers, etc on my kettle, which passer-bys ate, and complimented me on (felt great!). I could go on.

Really, what I'm saying is, my competition taught me volumes yesterday without saying a word. Were there any "pros" on the am side? Don't know, don't care; we all got an identical, numbered box, to turn in for judging. Seems fair to me.

Did I win, place, or show? No. But I didn't have any grandiose expectations, I was out there to get my feet wet, show 'em what I got, and most of all, HAVE SOME FUN!

I accomplished all the three. And my neighbor who helped me lug things and whatnot, is now SOLD on bbq, and bbq events; he can't wait for next year, and I don't think he's gonna cook!

We ARE cooking for fun, a hobby, correct?

And in reality, I think the "pros" (my definition of a bbq pro is someone who buys a rig that's not your typical backyard que, competes often, perhaps has sold their food, etc) would be more pizzed off at the "amateurs" who enter, and win on the pro KCBS side, cooking on some drum they made. But do they, I don't know, but I doubt it. It's all about the food you submit, and I believe anyone can win on any given day, be it a drum, FEC, or kettle.

In addition, really, is not winning the couple of bucks really not gonna pay your bills this month? If that's the case, you're better off buying a lottery ticket.
Dankster is offline   Reply With Quote