MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
trohrs123
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't most municipalities require your cooking and kitchen equipment to be NSF certified? In NY at least, a drum smoker without the NSF certification wouldn't be allowed.

Extreme BBQ Trailer
2 Humphrey Pints and Half Pint, 2 Cubed Pints
18" WSM, Hasty Bake Ranger, Weber Performer
Old No 7
trohrs123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #17
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

even if it was approved by the health dept I am trying to think of how a restaruant would rely on up to 10 UDS's to supply it's smoker needs.

I would think that would take a lot of work and some skill to run, a more professional smoker setup would be the way to go I would think.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
even if it was approved by the health dept I am trying to think of how a restaruant would rely on up to 10 UDS's to supply it's smoker needs.

I would think that would take a lot of work and some skill to run, a more professional smoker setup would be the way to go I would think.
Different meat needs different temp & time, and has different flavor.
One smoker for one kind of meat is better than a big smoker for all meats.
Even I use 10 pieces of UDS, it is taken care by automatic temperature controller. and the controller can be wireless remote controlled. I need only to put 10 pieces of display unit beside me.
If temp. reaches to target, or if time reaches to target, the controller will call me. Or if something goes wrong, the controller will remind of me.

Regarding certification, MANY smokers are made in China.
It will not be a problem.

My purpose is to have such partnership with hundreds or thousands of small scale BBQ restaurants in States.
At beginning I can send 200 pieces of UDS by a container. I need to find 20 restaurants. It is worth of applying for certificate if needed.
I will build the UDS by 304 food class stainless steel 100%. I do not find reason failing certificated.
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Most restaurants in the US do not have the room for 10 UDS's, if they are allowed to use them. Space is a premium at most businesses here. Restaurants use the same smoker for all their meats and just vary the time they have them on the smoker. You may want to rethink what you want to sell to the commercial BBQ market. Controllers that would run larger smokers would be something to consider.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #20
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

partners dont work, either will a uds...must be NSF rated..plus not enough space..stick to cooking for friends, dont wanna sound brash however facts are facts..and lipstick on a pig will wash off!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #21
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
Different meat needs different temp & time, and has different flavor.
One smoker for one kind of meat is better than a big smoker for all meats.
Even I use 10 pieces of UDS, it is taken care by automatic temperature controller. and the controller can be wireless remote controlled. I need only to put 10 pieces of display unit beside me.
If temp. reaches to target, or if time reaches to target, the controller will call me. Or if something goes wrong, the controller will remind of me.

Regarding certification, MANY smokers are made in China.
It will not be a problem.

My purpose is to have such partnership with hundreds or thousands of small scale BBQ restaurants in States.
At beginning I can send 200 pieces of UDS by a container. I need to find 20 restaurants. It is worth of applying for certificate if needed.
I will build the UDS by 304 food class stainless steel 100%. I do not find reason failing certificated.
question, have you cooked 200 pounds of butts, 150 pounds of brisket, 30 racks of ribs for dinner on a Saturday night? Then have all your sides to match?
Also of note, some townships are not allowing new smoke / bbq resturaunts with out smoke eaters!

Old 09-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #22
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

My offset or vertical pellet smokers are good too.
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #23
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

these professionals are trying to tell you that logistically you need a large smoker to use in a restaruant setting

not a lot of small ones
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #24
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't mean to be negative but I really don't believe that what you are proposing is workable for these reasons.

1) You seem to not be familiar with the US BBQ business marketplace and it's operational characteristics.

2) A partnership (from a legal standpoint) is one of the weakest business arrangements there is and is fraught with pitfalls and problems.

3) Geographical logistics, due to your distance from your proposed marketplace, poses great difficulties in business operations.

4) Your proposed investment is not nearly high enough to make it a viable offer in the US marketplace.

I do not believe you will find a US businessman that will be interested in your proposal due to the items listed above. But I may be wrong. There may be someone out there that is willing to risk their assets. Not me. Sorry

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #25
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

As a dreamer I sure do admire your passion but I don't think you have a clue as to what it takes to even open a restaurant over here. I know your idea will NEVER fly in the State of Minnesota because all equipment including cookers much be NSF certified. It doesn't make a bit of difference that you can supply stainless steel materials, it all has to be sent to a private laboratory and be certified. Which as I understand it is an expensive process.

As far as I know, all of the large cookers that are NSF certified are made here in the USA because the demand for such a cooker is not large enough to make it worth while to have it built oversee's and shipped.

To be honest, no one in their right mind would partner with someone half way across the world for approximately $3,500 US dollars. That amount of money is not what holds people back from opening a restaurant. The only way I can see anyone even considering this is if you invest at least 50% of the startup costs and even then I think they would be nuts.

If you can design these types of things, then tweak your design so you can cook the types of food the people in your area like and start in your own backyard.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #26
PorkQBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I understand you might be serious and I respect that... As others have said you don't have enough stake in starting a business in the US.... Originally I thought it was gonna be in China. I know that China now owns Smith Field Pork Products. Maybe you can get a lucrative market going over there or sell it back to us? I just know here... 10 UDS's + and people be thinking bout calling the cops for a junk yard next to them... least in MD!
PorkQBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote