MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Default First Contest and I made it out alive (with pics)

We just finished our first contest this past weekend at the Harvard Fall Festival. This past weekend was amazing the weather was great, well except for Sat night when it 34*. The people were amazing, friendly helpfull and WICKED FUN. I have never had so much fun getting my but handed to me.
I want to thank everyone who helped us out this weekend and offered advice. Everyone was great

It was a very humbling experiance to see what truly good BBQ should be. wicked different than the back yard stuff. lol

When we went our goal was to turn everything in on time and not come in last place... well everything got turned in and we were 39th out of 40 over all.. so not DAL.
heres a few pics of the party eeerrrrrr I mean contest.

Just got there and nothing fell out on the way. Man i need a trailer....

All Set up

Best way to make friends... Beer and TP My wife and co-cook is on the left. They ran out of tp this year and we just happened to have some....

It got very cold on Sat. "NAAAWWW I dont need a jacket" says I as we left the house. My wife on the other hand was prepared.

Sarah turning out lettuce into a near putting green.

Our Turn in boxes

First off I forgot my time table at home so it was a disaster.

We did horrable in chicken and ribs, came in last on those. My CHicken was frightening. as one judge said on the comment card. "DEAD COOKING CAUSTIC CHICKEN" I spit the bite I took out and said a prayer that i didnt kill anyone with it..... not sure what went wrong there it was always good before.. oh well

My ribs came off the smoker about 3 1/2 hours earlyer than i wanted and almost over cooked I Wasn't thinking when i put them on and went my my offset time not my UDS time and poof dry ribs. i think they tasted great but not after 4 hours in foil in a cooler. oh well

Brisket we hit 37th place woohooo it was prob my third best brisket ever. It was also my third brisket ever so Im sure it will move down on the scale. I only had one rack on the UDS and the two briskets choked them so it didnt have the correct air flow never went above 170 and it was turn in time so we pulled and sliced them bumma .

Now my pork butt it was by far the worst i ever cooked the bark was almost like burnt charcoal and the meat , although cooked right tasted wierd to me. But i plated it with what i could find out of the two butts i cooked and the few peices of bark i could find that were edable and skipped the sauce because it would have taken to long and we got 19TH place That i am vaery happy about.

Next time less "stuff" more prepping oh and alot more beer and bourbon!

oh this is what i am most proud of and it was my wifes idea and work that made it happen. LETTUCE fairways. instead of PARSELY putting greens
Tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

The lettuce is amazing. I'm guessing about 2 -3 bunches perbox. A quick knife chop and done. I am going to try one tonight or tomorrow. If it works what a time saver. Looks like the chicken compressed it but the others look great.

Suggestion - more trimming on those thighs and maybe a little more honey in the sauce for that nice shine. Overall however a good first try. The cooking will come it just takes practice and repetition in the comp mode.

And take it from me, for most of us more beer and bourbon does not help scores. Makes for a better party and in Troy's case a week ago at Silver Lake more Crown did still end up with a GC.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and yes, anything but DAL is a success. I'm certain you now
know tons and tons more than you did this time last Thursday! Your wife is to be
commended; A+ on the lettuce fairways! Curious, exactly how did she cut and place
those (inquiring minds). To me they look darned near as good as the putting green
parsley pics, but probably less expensive and less time (always good).
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Oh, yes, forgot, you hit the #1 and #2 supplies, right after the meat itself, and that's
in order: 1 Toilet Paper 2 Beer
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Brilliant idea on the lettuce fairways! They look great! Congrats on surviving your first comp!
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for sharing the pics Tweedle! Looks like you guys had a great time. Love the "Lettuce Fairways!"

Competitive Cook-Contest Organizer-Promoter of Smoke and Fire

Boston Hills BBQ Fest
www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com

PROUD to support Great Lakes BBQ Supply - www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com
The Giggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

I am digging those lettuce boxes too. If she is so inclined we'd love to get a play by play on that box construction.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
dweishaupt
Found some matches.

At least you try. It looks great.
dweishaupt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

More kudos from here on the fairways! Way to innovate!

You got it all there, you got it all set up and broke down, you didn't kill each other and you had fun -- that sounds like a veryfine outing in my book. So, when are you going to go do it again?

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Default Lettuce Fairways

Thanks a bunch for the compliments on the boxes It was her idea because we had only practiced the putting greens She just signed up for the Brethren so when we get the two accounts same computer thing straightened out she will have to tell you how she did them. It took her about 3 1/2 hours to do all 4 boxes and 4-5 head per box. I would descrivbe it but i was busy burning ribs and chicken at the time so i'm not really sure. But She will let ya'll know soon.

p.s.
I wish we knew what everyone else did this past weekend as it was prob different for most people than there norm.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
The lettuce is amazing. I'm guessing about 2 -3 bunches perbox. A quick knife chop and done.
Suggestion - more trimming on those thighs and maybe a little more honey in the sauce for that nice shine. Overall however a good first try. The cooking will come it just takes practice and repetition in the comp mode.

And take it from me, for most of us more beer and bourbon does not help scores. .
Ford is right on! We can't taste anything looking at pics, but all 4 entries LOOK dry. They all need something to shine them up a little.

The curly leaf boxes look nice, although the chicken sort of makes it all disappear, doesn't it?

I would make sure your knives are sharp, the rib trimming is very uneven.

Be careful with the beer and bourbon. May make for a good time, but your food will suffer, unless you're one of those teams that has it "locked in" on auto-pilot.

Hey, you got it all turned in, and you had a good time! That's the most important thing!...good job!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Glad you had fun! I saved the lettuce putting green pic for future reference, you never know when there may be another ban on parsley.....

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
The lettuce is amazing. I'm guessing about 2 -3 bunches perbox. A quick knife chop and done. I am going to try one tonight or tomorrow. If it works what a time saver. Looks like the chicken compressed it but the others look great.
my chicken was huge i wasnt paying attention when i trimmed them as i never had before so i trimmed them to peices i wanted to eat not pieces that fit in the box... turns out you have to put them in a box... who knew....lol
Suggestion - more trimming on those thighs and maybe a little more honey in the sauce for that nice shine. Overall however a good first try. The cooking will come it just takes practice and repetition in the comp mode.thanks for the honey tip. i mad all my own sauces and rubs for this comp thinking i would blow it away with thing nobody ever tasted. that was against all of the advice I got on here so next time i'll use what works

And take it from me, for most of us more beer and bourbon does not help scores. The beer and bourbon are not for us they are for everyone else, we dont drink that often and everyone stopped by to say hi to the new team and wow they had beer and bourbon to share and being polite i accepted. next time im making the rounds trying to help my scores lol Makes for a better party and in Troy's case a week ago at Silver Lake more Crown did still end up with a GC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
Ford is right on! We can't taste anything looking at pics, but all 4 entries LOOK dry. Everything was very very dry the chicken and the ribs well they were well as i said i didnt eat them.... They all need something to shine them up a little.

The curly leaf boxes look nice, although the chicken sort of makes it all disappear, doesn't it?
the chicken peices were so huge because I trimmed them to what I thought would be a great portion size, paying no mind to the fact that they had to fit in the box and they just barly did.
I would make sure your knives are sharp, the rib trimming is very uneven. The ribs were so close to fall off the bone over done i had a very hard time cutting them with my rock.. err i mean knife.

Be careful with the beer and bourbon. May make for a good time, but your food will suffer, unless you're one of those teams that has it "locked in" on auto-pilot. yea see above beer and bourbon are to help with our scores by passing out to everyone else.

Hey, you got it all turned in, and you had a good time! That's the most important thing!...good job!
Thanks a bunch everyone!

Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Someone should have a clinic on lettuce prep! That was amazing looking.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:29 AM   #15
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

I have honestly never seen a lettuce box that looked that good. Great job....your wife should be commended on them.