MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

Default Soggy Bark?

I never wrapped before i started competing. Now that I wrap at contest my bark is always soggy and rubs off. What in the heck is going on. How do you get hard bark after foiling. Please help!
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

For brisket, I foil in a pan fat side down. The outer edges of the brisket do end up somewhat submerged in juice, and steam does soften the bark, but if it was properly set before going into the pan, it shouldn't come off without direct contact. If you handle the brisket VERY carefully and DON'T TOUCH the bark AT ALL, you can place it back on the pit and about 10-15 minutes of 300* or higher will set that bark again. Insulated gloves or a large spatula are probably your best bet for moving it without messing up the bark.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

in many posts from winning competitors in the past the sacrifice of bark for tenderness is accepted. i think this is misleading for a new competitor who tries for great bark, which is in my oppinion a component of great bbq, and is scored down on tenderness.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

pretty sure ya forgo "bark".

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

Does anyone out there not wrap?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

have no idea, but in KCBS, i really don't think so.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

Maybe I will start using pans instead of foil.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Rubb'n BBQ View Post
Does anyone out there not wrap?
I don't wrap ribs anymore. Haven't for a couple years now, and haven't looked back yet. But you almost have to use a water cooker to get them done without tbe bark turning too dark.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
I don't wrap ribs anymore. Haven't for a couple years now, and haven't looked back yet. But you almost have to use a water cooker to get them done without tbe bark turning too dark.

how do you place with that?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
how do you place with that?
So far so good, but I only do a few comps a year. Last year I took 7th ribs in a pretty well established KCBS comp in Slidell, and a 3rd out of about 50 teams in an IBCA event. On average my scores have been higher without wrapping than with. I dont think ive finished outside the top 20 since switching. They are still plenty sweet, thanks to the sauce.

I think that when people talk about getting "layers" of flavor by wrapping, I believe that they are usually accomplishing the opposite. When I used to wrap my ribs became saturated inside and out with the same flavor due to sitting in all that sweet liquid. On top of that it was creating "jerky bark" when the outer layer of the sugar soaked ribs dried and caramelized during the final stage out of the foil.

I don't think all this is a concern with butts and briskets. They are much thicker and don't soak up much when left whole unlike ribs.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #11
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Hard or crunchy = low scores in KCBS.

Paste is no good either, you want something in between.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

One of my teamates (the one in charge of brisket) wants to foil first and then finish without the foil. Seems to me that might be the wrong way to go and the brisket will not take on any smoke. We'll let him do t this one contest and see how it goes.
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
JasonB
Found some matches.

When cooking low and slow, I foil around 165 (I actually use a pan and cover with foil, fat side down. Then at 190, open the foil up to re-set the bark.

Slrry, just realized I was in the comp area. I do not do comps - mods you can delete if needed.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #14
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole D View Post
One of my teamates (the one in charge of brisket) wants to foil first and then finish without the foil. Seems to me that might be the wrong way to go and the brisket will not take on any smoke. We'll let him do t this one contest and see how it goes.
Please let us know how that turns out for you....

Old 06-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Hard or crunchy = low scores in KCBS.

Paste is no good either, you want something in between.

Same/same in MBN and GBA. I think same in FBA too...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote