MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
Dakaty
Full Fledged Farker

Default Beef back ribs

Randall's Grocery in the Houston area, has beef back ribs on sale for $1.29 per pound. So far I've been to two different stores and neither one were aware that these were on sale or even what they are for that matter.

Are these just the "finger beef ribs" that are mostly bone or is it a different part of the rib as in pork baby backs?
Dakaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
NorthernQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakaty
Randall's Grocery in the Houston area, has beef back ribs on sale for $1.29 per pound. So far I've been to two different stores and neither one were aware that these were on sale or even what they are for that matter.

Are these just the "finger beef ribs" that are mostly bone or is it a different part of the rib as in pork baby backs?
Can't say for sure; I'm in a different part of the world but beef ribs here are the 7 ribs that are left when rib eye steaks are taken off the prime rib. Kind of like when the loin is taken off the baby back in pork.
They are about the same price here (in CDN $) and are worth every penny.
Racks of beef back ribs usually go about 5 lbs and take me 5 hours or so to cook .... no special deal, just my usual beef rub and go.
A word of caution; they can be habit forming, you can't have just one or two and they are so fat and juicy ... don't get me started .....
Crown Verity gasser
Little gasser
Meco bullet, CharGriller
Refrigerator shelf, pile of rocks, stack of wood
Former Klose owner (sob)
NorthernQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
bbqjoe
Banned

What they are is just that. Back ribs. But the sad part is they usually trim just about every scrap of meat off of them. Even going as far as to almost completely remove the meat from between the bones. Really not even worth dog treats at 1.29
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
Dakaty
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, they turned out to be the same old dino bones that I have seen. I was hoping they would be meatier. I usually see them for $0.99 when not on sale.

The only time I got good beef ribs is when I bought whole rib eyes and had them trimmed out to order. I have to say those were really good!!

Oh well....
Dakaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
bbqjoe
Banned

Find a good butcher and ask him for the ENTIRE beef short rib. Normally they are cut into inch or two sections. But if you can get them, you find a bone around ten inches, with about a pound of meat on them.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #6
evilpsych
Full Fledged Farker

GOOD LORD!! Those look awesome!!! nothing like the beef ribs we get here.. i'm gonna have to find me a local butcher!!
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote