Vision Classic DIY deflector update

chuMP

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Current - Newnan, GA; Hometown - Baton Rouge, LA
I know this subject is a little old and there are previous threads about it, but availability of items out there has changed, and I thought I'd give the brethren an update. I saw a 15" pizza stone at Home Depot yesterday by Master Forge for $18. That plus a 48" steel strap for $5 got me up and running with a great indirect setup on my Vision Classic for roughly $25. Measured and bent the steel into a recessed bracket shape. The top of the stone sits about 1" below the upper lip of the firebox. Space between the edge of the stone and the inside edge of the firebowl is about one inch. I did a test run last night and it worked very well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up. I just hAd the small crack in my Vision lava stone completely crack this weekend after 15 hrs of straight smoking. I saw the thread about the cast iron pan that I'm thinking of trying. I'd also like
To find a thick pizza stone that fits entire
Diameter of upper Grill rack.

Yeah, that idea for a cast iron skillet with a handle cut off is pure genious. Drip pan/deflector in one piece. I would do that, but all of my stuff is still in transit from a cross-country move from Kaliforn-i-a to North Carolina. Also, I'd think you would need to elevate the grid a little bit so that the grid (sitting on the rim of the skillet/deflector) doesn't conduct too much heat and overcook the areas where it is touching. Anybody got any input in that?

I bought the CGS Vision Spider and 14" CI skillet. Bought a cheap grinder and cutoff wheels to remove the skillet handle. Not a cheap setup.

But it works perfectly. Skillet sits down inside the CGS Spider, so it is around an inch below the lower grate. Line the skillet with foil for easy cleanup.

Smokeat,

Thanks for the pointers. I've already got all that I need accept for a new set of steel straps to get the skillet a little deeper into the firebox, so I think that'll be relatively cheap for me. Was that a Lodge brand skillet? Do you just use a pair of channel locks to pick it up if you need to add fuel or wood?

Smokeat,

Thanks for the pointers. I've already got all that I need accept for a new set of steel straps to get the skillet a little deeper into the firebox, so I think that'll be relatively cheap for me. Was that a Lodge brand skillet? Do you just use a pair of channel locks to pick it up if you need to add fuel or wood?

I used a Bayou Classic from Amazon, ~$30, I pick it up with pot holders to add lump, rarely needed.

BTW, I was going to bend up strap steel like yours, but had to "heat and beat" to get the bends as clean as I wanted. I finally just caved and spent the $$ on the CGS piece. It is overpriced for what it is, but it is exceptionally well made, very thick material, and I am really glad I bought it. I am very frugal, and have no regret whatsoever.

Back