Christmas Prime Rib

S

smkncajun

What up y'all and Merry Christmas from the south. The presents are open, the kids are playing and daddy had the meat in the smoker. God just decided to bless us with much needed rain and I hate to keep running in and out. Thinking about taking the Prime Rib from the smoker to the oven at the 3 hour mark....any suggestions??? I will keep it uncovered until 125-130, but what do ya'' think about putting the oven to broil at the end to crisp up the rub for a good bark? Pron to follow and thanks for any suggestions.

The Cajun

Considering the inclement weather, after 3 hours in the smoker the meat should have absorbed pretty much all the smoke it can; so, to bring it in and finish in the oven would be aok as far as I'm concerned.
Merry Christmas and enjoy.

My prime rib only took around 3 hours. Might as well finish on the smoker.

this one is a 16 pounder and its been on for about 3 hours, temp only went up from 44 (starting) to about 88 right now, imagine it will take off here around the 4 hour mark

I wouldn't use the broiler. I would turn the oven to it's highest setting (around 500°F) and finish it there for about 10-15 minutes to get the crust. Using the broiler would require that you turn the meat at least once and the harsh, direct heat could overcook parts of the meat.

Back