MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
FullyInvolvedBBQ
Found some matches.

Default Vending Etiquette - To vend or not to vend?

I have only participated in one event and I didn't know if I priced my food right. I suspected my prices were too low because we were slammed all day. I never had a chance to leave my cook site and see what everyone else was charging because we had this long line all day! I don't want to make any enemies and I'm sure undercutting prices will do just that. We sold over $3000.00 worth of food and made just a few dollars over what we spent after their 80/20 cut. We did our price schedule something like this:
Single: 1 meat and 2 sides (your choice of meat) $6.00
Double: 2 meats and 2 sides $7.00
Triple: 3 meats and 2 sides $10.00
Grand Slam: all four meats and 2 sides $12.00
Sides were: cole slaw, potato salad, and baked beans
a meat serving was a pork sandwich, two pieces of dark meat chicken, two or three ribs (depending on size) and about 5 slices of brisket

What do you charge? What's fair? Is it really worth it?
FullyInvolvedBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JO

You need to at least get 30% more than your cost, even more..we sell a rib dinner for $10, includes ribs, home baked beans, slaw and a roll, the way they sell and although we recoup 30% profit, I'm thinking thats still too cheap.
Gone brick n mortar :crazy:
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

You are low - a pork sammy is $5 or $6 with an 80-20 cut especially if for charity. 3 bones of spares is $6 or $7. Brisket $6. Add 2 sides for $2. I no longer vend chicken because so many cook it at home and demand is low. But 2 thighs would be $5.

If you sold $3000 then you made $2400 so cost of meat and sides should have been no more than $600. I bet you spent more.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
FullyInvolvedBBQ
Found some matches.

Oh, ya... I spent twice that probably.
I do think I need to price each meat separately due to the difference in cost and then have single meat add on prices for people who want to try more stuff. Thanks for the input, would like to hear more...
Old 07-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

You were likely the bargain of the event. A $10 charge for your single is common. I charge more for Brisket & ribs on a sliding scale based on the per pound differences compared to pork & chicken. I have also found you can help keep pork costs down by using a mix of butts & picnics.
HandsomeSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

How much money did you lose?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
FullyInvolvedBBQ
Found some matches.

We actually made a couple of hundred bucks, but we split that amongst the team, we did just better than break even. Lucky for us we sold out of everything. Also lucky for us, so did everyone else... otherwise we would have made some people mad taking away their business by underpricing. Just a little beginners ignorance on my part.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Utahslo-smoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Around here where I am if I can do a sandwich and drink for $5 Ill do a mass amount. Families here are big and you can get that out of them but at $7 they will buy one and share it. I do burnt ends and shredded chicken only cause there is 2 other at my market that do pork and I don't want to compete. My plate is 1 meat 1 side and a can drink for $6.50. and I do 3 times the sales as $7
Utahslo-smoke is offline   Reply With Quote