Memphis, MAK, Yoder or ?

RJonesUSC

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to get a pellet pooper and would like some advice/suggestions. I've read through all the recent forums posts on the topic but thought I'd try to get a little more about these few specific units:

• Memphis Elite
  • MAK 3 Star
  • Yoder 640/1500
  • Something else I should be considering?

I'm coming from a cheap gas smoker cabinet where I use propane for the temp and a smoker tube for the smoke. I have that dialed in and everything comes out well. I also have a nice Weber gasser grill that I use for grilling. I'd like to get a pellet pooper that can replace both of those units.

I live in So Cal near the beach so weather isn't an issue but the salty air is. I'm leaning toward the stainless units (Memphis and MAK) but the Yoder has the look of a smoker and the reviews are great.

So, my general questions are:
  • For the Memphis and MAK that don't seem to have directed air flow, how do they perform a s smoker?
  • Are there any advantages of one temp control system over the others?
  • How's support/warranty from the companies/dealers?
  • Any issues with these units with grilling? I usually grill a few times a week and smoke a couple times a month.
  • Any wireless or other bells and whistles better on one unit than the others?

If there are any other units that you'd recommend then I'd like to hear those as well. The RecTec Bull looks interesting but the horn handles might bring back too many bad memories of being at the Rose Bowl in 2006 and watching USC fall to the Longhorns.

Thanks

What do you do more of? From what I know Memphis is a better griller and mak is the better smoker, but both are overall very good pellet grills.

I would go with what you want to do more of, smoking or grilling

Just adding uneducated .02 BTW. I dont own a pellet pooper, can't say never will, but most likely never will.

I owned a yoder 640 and now have a Memphis Elite. The yoder is a great smoker that can grill good with the two door diffuser and grill grates. Yoder also has rust issues and a controller that makes temp swings normal (if that’s important to u). The fan blows constantly and moves a lot of air...it doesn’t like cold weather as it makes scratching sounds until warmed up (normal according to yoder), but where u live it’s not an issue. Doesn’t have WiFi either. It’s built heavy, but not as heavy as a Pitts and spitts or gator pellet cooker.

The Memphis Elite is a great grill and a very good smoker. It’s a much more refined cooker...like a Wolf range compared to a kenmore range. Memphis is capable of higher temps (700 ambient and over 1000 direct grilling). Smoke output and taste “might” be a little lighter on the Memphis....might be....temp control is much tighter and WiFi is there...although the WiFi app is basic.

I looked at Mak 2 star and considered that to be a better smoker and not as good a griller as the Memphis. It doesn’t get nearly as hot, but by all accounts smokes like a freight train.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I researched the same three brands when I was looking last year, and I agree with the comparisons so far. I concluded the Memphis was the best griller and the Mak and Yoder were better smokers. Because I planned to grill with charcoal on my Weber and wanted the pellet smoker for smoking, I chose between the latter two.

I chose the Mak 1-star. I was concerned about the Yoder paint & rust issues already mentioned. I also concluded the central firebox, louvred exhaust, and smaller interior volume of the Mak should make it smokier than the larger Yoder design with firebox on one end and stack on the other. So far I love it — no lack of smoke and no need for smoke tubes or other devices. I also hear it grills well although I haven’t tried it.

I also live in SoCal and the 1-star is holding up beautifully even though it sat outside uncovered for 4-5 months because Mak was out of covers.

I don’t own or have ever cooked on a Pellet grill, but out of those three choices, I’d go with MAK for smoking purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has not been a lot of information regarding the Assassin 36 inch pellet grill but it just seems to call to me. Forum member jpeisen has a thread about his purchase https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4006758 and shared a spreadsheet on the pellet grills he looked at.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r_142-Lrb8458nu_4fyFrenSUZFzbwWT5hDVdwHGM24/edit

Perhaps it will be helpful to you. I also am in SoCal and the shipping was YIKES !!! however when I looked at some grills at the BBQ store, they all added a shipping cost to the base price.

I was ready to order a Memphis pro, kept waffling to the Mak 2 Star and finally settled on ordering a Pitts and Spits Maverick 1250. 600 degree top end, pid controler with WiFi optional, and 304 stainless where I want it with a roll top lid so I don’t need to worry about clearance issues. I also love the pull out shelves similar to blazin. I felt like Pitts and Spitts too the featured of all the pellets I looked at and liked and rolled them into one, and the price per sq inch works out more favorable for me.

Thank you for all the comments. Still not sure where I'm going to land but now I have another one to consider, the Pitts and Spitts.

you didn't mention this cooker but if you are anywhere near me you are welcome to check out my pellet cooker, despite the early issues, they have since been corrected, I consider it a solid unit. I have a Timberline 1300, not trying to sell ya just trying to let you test options.

I'll admit a general bias towards having several units that are great at specific things rather than trying to have a single cooker that can do everything. That said, from what I've read Memphis is the best choice if you have the budget and will be grilling more than smoking. That's not to say it's bad as a pellet smoker but it's unusually good on the grilling side. Yoder and Mak are both good -- maybe even better on the smoking side -- but can't get the same heat/space for grilling Rectec was mentioned as well. While it's a great "bang for the buck" choice, as a smoker in particular I wouldn't look at it as a standout as a grill.

I don't know enough about the Pitts and Spits but I suspect it's similar to some of the others in terms of being a solid choice on the smoker side but giving up a bit to the Memphis on the grilling side.

Good luck and let us know which way you end up going!

Maybe the 3 Star is overkill and the 2 Star would be enough. It just seemed a little low in cooking area. I should revisit that I suppose.

No get it, thing looks awesome. I would get the 1500 over the 640 as well. I have a 640 and it's tight on space.

I have a YS640 on a comp cart and I love it. I regularly grill on mine, and since I don't have the removable diffuser plate, I don't get serious grill marks, but man it makes a killer steak and burger! I'm love how it smokes too.....I come from an offset and temp swings of +/- 25 degrees or so do not bother me. I've learned to trust it and don't feel I need wifi. My $.02.......

I can't help you with the others you are considering, but they seem to have solid reviews on this site. For any of the models you listed, I don't think you can go wrong......

Ed

Due to your "salty air" environment, I would rule out the Yoder unless some (a lot) exterior rust doesn't bother you. I have one, and I like the way it operates and the food it produces, but they do rust easy.

Back