• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Have PBC but am Kettle curious

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I’ve had my PBC for about two years now and LOVE it. I also have a Weber Spirit for searing, burgers and hot dogs for the kids, etc. I also use my gasser with Grill Grates for Carne Asada and things like that. BUT, I’ve been getting curious about a Weber kettle. The one thing I don’t like about the PBC is it’s only 18 inches or so across the grate. I’d love to have more space for wings, etc when I have friends over. Also, sometimes I want to cook two racks of ribs on the grate because I feel like wrapping with pink butcher paper and the diameter is limiting. Anyhow, I have never really used a kettle and am wondering what advantages it might give me. I would keep the other two, although I would consider selling the gasser. Maybe.

Thanks!

Keep everything AND get the kettle .... i'd opt for the 26 incher as I have a 22 and sometimes wish I had a bit more room. I also have a PBC and gasser with grill grates and sometimes put the grates on the kettle. You are right .. at different times you want to use different cookers. Sometimes convenience wins out also. p.s. I am in line for an assassin 36 inch pellet grill and will keep everything. When a crowd is over fire up everything and assign duties to everyone to keep an eye on the cookers. good luck and enjoy. sorry didn't answer you about advantages. You can do just about everything on a kettle .... very versatile ... smoke ... sear ... direct / indirect, use a vortex , grill, add a cast iron griddle for frying, Don't know if these are advantages but it's a different way to do things ... to keep your interest up and increase the fun factor.

Last edited:
Keep everything AND get the kettle .... i'd opt for the 26 incher as I have a 22 and sometimes wish I had a bit more room. I also have a PBC and gasser with grill grates and sometimes put the grates on the kettle. You are right .. at different times you want to use different cookers. Sometimes convenience wins out also. p.s. I am in line for an assassin 36 inch pellet grill and will keep everything. When a crowd is over fire up everything and assign duties to everyone to keep an eye on the cookers. good luck and enjoy. sorry didn't answer you about advantages. You can do just about everything on a kettle .... very versatile ... smoke ... sear ... direct / indirect, use a vortex , grill, add a cast iron griddle for frying, Don't know if these are advantages but it's a different way to do things ... to keep your interest up and increase the fun factor.

Hadnt even thought of hvig the PBC and kettle going at the same time. That would be nice as there have been times I want to smoke ribs and cook wings to have ready at a specific time which I cant do easily on the PBC.

I got the 26 inch and love it. To aid with smoking and indirect cooking, I got the slow and sear attachment from Adrenaline. Really worth the cost. One chimney of coals ran over 7 hours at 250 degrees. Lots of room too. Two full racks of spares along with rib tips fit easy. Highly recommended.

What are your impressions when you cook identical items on the PBC vs kettle? Ribs for instance.

I come at this from a different direction. I've owned many various charcoal cookers and a gasser, as well as some kettles. Only the kettles are still here. I'm always on the lookout for something else, but the kettles will serve until then. I cook for 10 or less, which is why I have the second kettle, for hamburgers and hot dogs, mostly.

That said, unless you get rid of the gasers, the only reason I can see for a kettle is...you want one. There are many ways to cook more ribs on a WSM.

I agree with Sako. I have a 22" kettle and its a useful addition to the PBC.

Thanks to AClark44, I too now have a Weber OTG. Also as the op states no PBC but a WSM and a Weber gasser among others. Each have their uses. I do know the the Wife much prefers coal burgers and steaks to the gasser. As stated above, sometimes time is a consideration for quick and EZ. :thumb:

I agree with everyone as well. A kettle is a must have IMO. I would go for the 26"as others have stated. Mine is a 22" and I so often long for that extra couple inches of room that the 26" would offer.

The advantages to it is it can smoke, grill, vortex and much more and lasts for years and years if taken care of.

The performer will be the last grill to leave my cooking area ,nothing else nothing better price wise ,had mine since 2011

Love my kettle. Don't use it for smoking tho, I use my WSM for that.

Of the various kettles available, I recommend the 'premium' one with the ash catcher can. It works way better than the 'plate' on the cheaper version. Especially if, like me, you're using it on a wooden deck. Much smaller chance of an ember falling out and finding it's way to the deck.

+1 on the rotisserie option!

t5gyz7Hh.jpg

Another vote for a PBC and a Weber.

I assume you have both a Phillips head and a flat head screwdriver....different tools for different jobs!

But BEWARE...this is an addiction and you are being advised to buy more cookers by a bunch of addicted fools with too many cookers....once you start its hard to quit!

The performer will be the last grill to leave my cooking area ,nothing else nothing better price wise ,had mine since 2011

This^^^

My WSM(similar in theory to your drum) , my performer and 22’ mastertouch is about i could ever need unless your cooking for a very large group that could change things or just opt for a 26. I find my self using all three at once for various jobs..

Back