22" WSM and iQue 110. How Long Should Fuel Last?

CPMatthew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Greeting Brethren and Sistren,

I recently purchased an iQue 110 to use with my 22.5" WSM. I am pretty happy with how simple and effective it is at controlling the temp. I didn't leave it overnight because I had never used it before and I didn't want to wake up to ruined meat (I had six 10# butts on the WSM). It seemed to hold temp for about 6 hours before I had to add fuel. Is this normal?

I am curious how closely everyone follows the recommended starting procedure in the pamphlet. The instruction are the add two chimneys of unlit and one chimney of lit charcoal. That seems like a lot of lit, as it seems most start with half a chimney of lit or less.

So, this long winded post boils down to two questions.

1) How do you set up your WSM when using the iQue?

2) How long should I be able to run before adding fuel?

Thanks,

Chris

I use the minion method when setting up the charcoal (loaded up) and then I start with about a half of chimney lit charcoal. I cook at around 300 and it last the full time. 6-7hrs. But I only use a 18.5 WSM. If I start with a full lit chimney it overshoots my target temp. I usually have one damper open a little too on the bottom to start out then when it gets too 300* I close it up.

As the previous poster mentioned it depends on what temperature you're shooting for, if you are using water or not, what the weather conditions are etc. I rum a 22" wsm with a digiq and with the minion method with 20 lit coals and a target temp of 235 I have run 20 hours on a full load of Kingsford briquettes.

On long cooks i fill the ring and light with half chimney at 275 i can get approx 12 hrs burn time. I am also using K-blue so I am sure that what fuel you are using will make a difference

kpdiver uses an ique 110 with a wsm. he would be able to answer u. but as stated...temp, wind, fuel, etc...all plays a part.

I have the iQue and run it on my 22.5 WSM, as stated above depending weather conditions, I can get 12 hours out of a 13.9lb bag of Kingsford blue running at 250, started with the minion method. I start with about half a chimney of lit coals directly in the middle of the charcoal ring. open all vents, wait til I see the gauge on the lid at around 175, then close 2 of the bottom vents, keep the lid vent open 100%, hook up the iQue to the adapter and plug it in(turn it on). Wait til the smoker comes up to temp, then add my meat. BTW, that 13.9lb bag doesn't fill the charcoal ring completely, I could put more in and get a longer burn.
Hope that helps.

Thanks All. I think I may need to have a good look at sealing up the fuel door on my WSM. It may be a bit drafty. I filled the ring with Kingsford Blue with hickory chunks mixed in and put 20 lit coals on top. I was running at 250. But, I had to add fuel at around 6 hours.

Thanks again.

Back