Am I out of line?

Yes my standard sides are not homemade. I have had several say it's about the BBQ and we just want something simple to go along with it so that is why I offered a less expensive option on my menu. I have had others who love the fact they can get homemade sides so I thought this way I could please both.

The local paper heard a lot of buzz about us and decided to to an article about our business opening up in thier weekender paper that goes out to all county and city residents (county population 30,000 not sure about circulation) so they came and interviewed us. We had no idea that it would be a front page story and covered 80% of the front page. A good friend said well it must have been a slow news week, I thought gee whiz wonder what he really thinks of my BBQ:tape::roll::doh: I just said yea must have been.

I would dump the idea of cheep sides all together. Now don't get me wrong I do have some that will cost me more so there is a $1 mark up for them like corn on the cob or baked potato. I assume that each side will cost me .25- .50 cents pp so I can do 3 for $1.50. not what I'm charging just cost. So given that I charge $1 per side. The menu is set up that way one meat and sides ect. Having said that so you know where I'm coming from, think about your brand. Your a ligit business and want to be around for a ling time. It might take a little longer to build and be known for quality but its a really good thing to be known for. I have turned down a job because they wanted me to get pre-made potato salad and pork-n-beans. Not because they love the taste of it, or headed over seas for the next year and cant get it ,but cause they just didn't want to spend the money. I keep prices in line so I can do office and contract work, but because we are known to do fresh and quality we also do medical centers picnics for special diet groups. :-D In the end branding pays off.

Back