MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Default Detroit style pizza/kettle pizza

Didn't get many pics. The kettle pizza(thin) looked a lot better than the pic. Lighting stinks in my kitchen and makes my pics yellow looking on the one counter.
Didn't get pics of the better looking 2nd kettle pie.

Last edited by jsperk; 06-29-2014 at 02:03 PM..
jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice work...do you deliver?
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Bludawg

Good looking 'Za, change the light balance to Floresent

Old 09-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Looking damn good!

Old 09-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

That's some good looking pizza.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Very nice! That looks pretty spot on for the Detroit style pizza I've had.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
AtlGator
On the road to being a farker

Oh man, I have a Jet's by my office in Atlanta so now know of what you speak. But you must provide a recipe and tools you used to get that crust. Beautiful work!
AtlGator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Diggin it big!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Oh yeah, that's nice looking!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGator View Post
Oh man, I have a Jet's by my office in Atlanta so now know of what you speak. But you must provide a recipe and tools you used to get that crust. Beautiful work!
Thanks everyone. I will post the recipe for jets and one of I think Buddy's which
Is thinner, at least from what I read. Never had originals so not sure if I'm its close.
I will also post the link of the blue steel pans I bought. They went up $5 since I bought them.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey hey hey slow down, everybody always talks about New York pizza and Chicago pizza but nobody knows about Detroit pizza. If they only knew how good this stuff was, they would all be doing it, I don't think the guys from NYC could handle it.

Great looking pies. I'd you ever want real Detroit pizza, cone on up and try shields, heck I'll even buy.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONESY View Post
Hey hey hey slow down, everybody always talks about New York pizza and Chicago pizza but nobody knows about Detroit pizza. If they only knew how good this stuff was, they would all be doing it, I don't think the guys from NYC could handle it.

Great looking pies. I'd you ever want real Detroit pizza, cone on up and try shields, heck I'll even buy.
I keep thinking someday I'm going to make the 4.5 to 5 hour drive up there to try some official Detroit pizza.

I have a pdf file for the second version with pics if any one wants it.

This style of pie maybe my favorite to make. I try to get the dough under the chees a little doughy. Not sure if Detroit style is like that but favorite local pizza joint is like that.
Here is the jets recipe: Not sure if it's to thick. This is in a 10x14 blue steel pan.
Pans: http://detroitstylepizza.co/detroit-style-pizza-pans/

Flour (100%): 429.49 g | 15.15 oz | 0.95 lbs
Water (65%): 279.17 g | 9.85 oz | 0.62 lbs
IDY (.3851%): 1.65 g | 0.06 oz | 0 lbs | 0.55 tsp | 0.18 tbsp
Salt (1.75%): 7.52 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.57 tsp | 0.52 tbsp
Total (167.1351%): 717.82 g | 25.32 oz | 1.58 lbs | TF = 0.15

Another recipe. This one is not as thick and with a higher hydration.

Flour (100%): 273.04 g | 9.63 oz | 0.6 lbs 2 cups + 3 tablespoons
Water (75%): 204.78 g | 7.22 oz | 0.45 lbs ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon + 2 ½ teaspoons
IDY (0.55%): 1.5 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.5 tsp | 0.17 tbsp ½ teaspoon
Salt (1.5%): 4.1 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.73 tsp | 0.24 tbsp ¾ teaspoon Total (177.05%): 483.42 g | 17.05 oz | 1.07 lbs | TF = 0.1218

I used King Arthur All Purpose flour, and Fleischmann’s Instant Dry Yeast (IDY), which is a bit different than those packets of “Active Dry Yeast.” Both should work fine, but Active Dry Yeast requires that you mix the yeast with water and let it activate for a bit. Instant dry yeast does not require that step, but it also should not make direct contact with water. Dissolve salt in water, add flour, sprinkle IDY on top. Mix on lowest speed (with dough hook) until incorporated then continue on this speed for an 8 min knead. Let the dough ball rest for 20 mins.
Put about ¾ tbsp of oil into your pan and brush it all over the bottom and sides of the pan. You can spread it around with a paper towel, but you might need a bit more oil, as the towel will soak some of it up. You want a thin layer of oil all over the pan.
Oil up your fingers and remove the dough ball from the mixing bowl. The dough should be pretty wet/soft/sticky, but should stretch easily. Stretch the dough all across the bottom of your oiled pan, reaching all the way into the corners. With oiled fingers, you shouldn’t have too much trouble with this. Cover the pan with plastic wrap or a towel, and let the dough rise for 2.5 – 3 hours (it will double in size, at least).

Assembling the pizza:
Preheat your oven to 475 degrees, with one rack placed on the lowest level in your oven.
Punch down (deflate) the dough and peel back a bit off the sides of the pan. Paint more oil/shortening along the edge of the pan, right along where the dough meets the pan. As the pizza cooks, the dough will rise more, and this extra layer of oil/shortening will help when removing the pizza from the pan after baking.
Toppings:
Toppings will go directly onto the dough BEFORE any cheese/sauce, to prevent too much burning or charring. Use whatever you like!
Cheese:
You will use two kinds of cheese for this pizza recipe: white cheddar and standard (low-moisture, part skim) mozzarella. The white cheddar should be piled up around the edges of the pizza, all the way to the edge, overflowing along the sides of the pan. This will provide the baked-cheese crunch on the crust that is representative of the Detroit style. I purchased a 2 lb. block of Cabot Extra Sharp White Cheddar cheese from Walmart. I grated the cheese myself and ended up using nearly half of the block on one 10X14” pizza. Pile up the white cheddar along the edges and spread some over the rest of the pizza, but ONLY white cheddar should be used along the edges. Fill in the rest of the pizza with regular shredded mozzarella.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

Your dough recipe is very close but your missing the main "Detroit" dough ingredient, lard. They put lard in the dough, it is what makes the dough crips, brown, fry in the pan. I wish I had a recipe to share, but I don't, I worked at two Detroit pizza joints and only " family" could make dough.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONESY View Post
Your dough recipe is very close but your missing the main "Detroit" dough ingredient, lard. They put lard in the dough, it is what makes the dough crips, brown, fry in the pan. I wish I had a recipe to share, but I don't, I worked at two Detroit pizza joints and only " family" could make dough.
I did forget to mention, although it's not lard I use Crisco to wipe my pans down before I put my dough in the pan.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #15
thelinks4u
Found some matches.

That pizza looks so much better than the stuff i can get around here and i am just south of Detroit!!
thelinks4u is offline   Reply With Quote