• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pastrami Pron (Lots of pron)

Divemaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This weekend I decided to try my hand at homemade pastrami. It was driving me nuts seeing all of the great looking pron over the last week or so…

I started out with pre-made corn beef…

DSCF2204.jpg

The package said ‘Flat Cut’, but what I found was a trimmed out ‘center cut’ of a brisket that contained both the point and flat….

DSCF2209.jpg

I decided to split the two pieces since there was so little holding them together….

DSCF2210.jpg

I then seasoned the two with 12 parts fresh pepper, 1 part coriander, 1 part garlic powder, 1 part onion powder, and 1 part paprika….

DSCF2214.jpg

I smoked it to an internal temp of 195* and let it rest for about 45 minutes before I sliced it…

IMG_0164_edited.jpg

It had a great bark and was very juicy!!!

IMG_0166.jpg

I wanted an old fashioned sandwich on rye with Swiss-cheese, mustard, and kosher dill pickles…

IMG_0169.jpg

Kathy on the other hand, wanted a Rubin….

IMG_0172.jpg

I would do it the same again (in fact I have two more packages of corn beef in the fridge) but I would cut down on the pepper by a quarter…. Overall, I’m looking forward to the leftovers!!!

Winner, winner Pastrami dinner!

Okay, you've raised the bar...

Wow looks great. Love the homemade pastrami. Made some last week and there is none left! The corned beef I purchased said flat like yours but the point was still attached. I should have seperated it like you did, I also only cooked to internal 165*. Next time will cook to 195* most was very good but one part was pretty tough.
Did you soak yours in fresh water fo leach out the salt?:icon_bigsmil

I'll take mine on a tosted everything bagel with cream cheese please.:wink: Man, that looks like some fine eats there.:eusa_clap Can't wait to cook some this year too.:cool:

Wow looks great. Love the homemade pastrami. Made some last week and there is none left! The corned beef I purchased said flat like yours but the point was still attached. I should have seperated it like you did, I also only cooked to internal 165*. Next time will cook to 195* most was very good but one part was pretty tough.
Did you soak yours in fresh water fo leach out the salt?:icon_bigsmil
Sure did... for about 24 hours and changed/rinsed once in the middle...

Oh man that old fashioned sandwich looks taaasty!! Nice work. Will have to try it.

This crap is killing me! I'm going to wal-mart and picking up one. I'm going to have to smoke it Monday or Tuesday. I hadn't even thought about pastrami till this past week and all this pron has my mouth watering now!!

Man you fellas are good at making that bbq. That pastrami looks awesome.

I am definatly going to do some pastrami the next couple - o weeks!!!

Great lookin' chow Bro!!!!

I need to go load up on that same corned beef while we have it around. Looks like good eats. I haven't smoked in anything in over a week, I think thats a record. Been working so much havent been around, I need to make some time.

So Cal Albertson's have corned beef points for $1.49 (while supplies last), and I have more pastrami!!!!:-D

That is some great looking sandwiches - without a doubt, that has persuaded me to get a corned beef and get the smoker going again next weekend!

That is some great looking sandwiches - without a doubt, that has persuaded me to get a corned beef and get the smoker going again next weekend!

Jack--I think it is NIKE that says...."Just Do It"!!!

I keep making the same mistake that we all make with fatties.
I never cook enough!
Just this week, I cooked just one commercial corned beef flat into pastrami.
It will not last a week!
I could have cooked a half dozen in the same time for the same fuel! :lol:

In the future, I will cook 2 or 3 (at least) and freeze them as described here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38228

Good Eats and so much cheaper that "Deli cut" pastrami!

TIM

That looks great! I love reubens!

My parents had a couple of thing to wrap in in Skokie on Friday and they stopped at Kaufman's and brought us some corned beef, salami and new pickles. I made a reubenesque kind of thing (pics in another thread soon).

Oh man this is farkin' spooky. Like deja voodoo all over again. I bought the exact same corned flats at Sams. I intentionally selected 4 pound ones and they were both just like yours, some flat, some point and had the split through about halfway. I thought about splitting them, but left mine in one piece.

DSC04434e.jpg

I did a 48 hour soak out and smoked them at 250° with pecan to 150° internal, then did a 20 minute pressure finish, with natural release.

DSC04447g.jpg

It was kind of nice getting some point and flat, harder to carve, but nice. Two days ago I promised the other one for a giving away, I wish I knew then what I know now. :rolleyes:

dsc04450gL.jpg

Well I have wanted to try pastrami to. I love the stuff. Here is the meat after soaking for 24 hours. It is in the fridge overnight with the rub from Thirdeyes recipe. Can't wait to smoke it tommorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love pastrami and the picture of that sammie is killer. Nice work.

Back