UDS XL (85 gallon) build pics

catch your target temp on the way up....
start with 8 to 10 lit coals only
don't open lid until done (really hard to do)
when it's don it's done
enjoy your good eats
start simple, a fatty and some chickens and MOINKS

By the way, we go through Douglas on our way to Jacksonville to hunt.

Paul B
SS UDS

Thanks for the tips Paul. What are MOINKS?

Good hunting up around Jax near the river. Got some buddys in a club up there.

ChiefOsceola,
Looking good, I am picking up a couple of drums this weekend and on a side note I will be about 30 miles from you this weekend at an arrowhead show in Homerville.
Adam

I'm kinda wishing I hadn't taken the free shipping route on my 24.5" grates. Ready for them to be here so I can fire this thing up!

Very nice, gotta love those 85'ers:wink: Just wondering if you can get the bottom grill in without trimming one or two of your bolts shorter? I only ran 3 in mine and ended up cutting one just a bit to sneak the lower grate in.
Post up some pron on your maiden voyage.:biggrin:

Yeah...the bolts didn't look as long in the store. Figure I might be downsizing. No way I can get the bottom grate in/out with food on it. Figured I might be able to angle it empty. When the grates get here I might be making some adjustments.

We'll see what it looks like. Hopefully I won't be too ashamed to post up some pics! :icon_smil

I can get my lower grill out with 3 slabs of ribs without a problem on most cooks. Its the pork butts that want to roll away on yah when its fallin apart. I just leave the grill in and grab the grub.
Also, I like the bottom grill for a water/juice pan, but on the 85's you could add a third and keep the upper two for cooks.
Just remember, no bad food comes out of a uds. Trust in the drum gods and you will have happy taste buds.:biggrin:

Nice looking beginning!
Don't worry about cooking on it,you're gonna do just phine!
Do a search on MOINK balls,enough info and pics around here.

If you want the single exhaust, go to an electrical contractor and talk to them. They have hydraulic knock-outs that they use to punch holes in electrical panels so they can install conduit. I bet you can get somebody to do it for you for a trade. Cook them a couple beer can chickens. That is a good way to season the drum anyway. You both win and you don't spend a bunch of money for a "one time" tool.

Just a thought, Scott

The electrical contractor idea is a great thought. One lives right across the street. Good call!

Phubar- Did a search and they look like frozen meatballs wrapped in bacon. What does the MOINK stand for though...it's not on the acronym page.

Toploader- It was basically a guess on the bolts since I didn't have the grates yet (got confirmation from Amazon that they shipped though!)...I was just anxious to get this thing rollin. About the drip pan/water pan, I thought the benefit of the UDS was to have the direct smoke cooking (not to mention it's cheap!)? I have room for a third if I wanted though...my bottom rack right now is 25" above the coal grate.

Phubar- Did a search and they look like frozen meatballs wrapped in bacon. What does the MOINK stand for though...it's not on the acronym page.

There is a story on this site somewhere about how it started, but the short story is cows go MOO (frozen beef meatballs) and pigs go OINK (bacon) so MOO + OINK = MOINK

My bad, I looked at your pics again and re read what grill size you ordered. I thought for a second you had the taller 85 version. You can probly sneak another rack in there just under the lower one. My pan is an old aluminum pizza dish thats only 1-1/2 to 2" tall. Only time I really use it is for longer overnight butt cooks, or MOINK cooks to keep flare ups from happening. Cooks just as good once that "convection heat" builds up in the drum.
Fire that biotch up allready....were waiting!:biggrin:

If you're looking for a step bit, try Harbor Freight... I got a set of 2 (small + big) for $15 after I printed a coupon off the internet.

That's a BIG UDS... I just started cooking with my regular UDS and so far absolutely love it!

There is a story on this site somewhere about how it started, but the short story is cows go MOO (frozen beef meatballs) and pigs go OINK (bacon) so MOO + OINK = MOINK

Oooohhhh. Makes sense now. I'll search it some more and try to find a recipe to try.

My bad, I looked at your pics again and re read what grill size you ordered. I thought for a second you had the taller 85 version. You can probly sneak another rack in there just under the lower one. My pan is an old aluminum pizza dish thats only 1-1/2 to 2" tall. Only time I really use it is for longer overnight butt cooks, or MOINK cooks to keep flare ups from happening. Cooks just as good once that "convection heat" builds up in the drum.
Fire that biotch up allready....were waiting!:biggrin:

You & me both! Those grates can't get here quick enough!!!

If you're looking for a step bit, try Harbor Freight... I got a set of 2 (small + big) for $15 after I printed a coupon off the internet.

That's a BIG UDS... I just started cooking with my regular UDS and so far absolutely love it!

I'd never even heard of Harbor Freight :icon_blush: and certainly didn't think we had them in south Georgia...but I just googled it and sure enough, theres one about an hour away. Saturday plans are taking shape. :biggrin:

there is one in valdosta. is that the one you were talking about?

there is one in valdosta. is that the one you were talking about?

That's the one. I worked in Valdosta for 3 years until a year ago and never realized there was such a place.

See you're from the big city of Doerun. Always heard it was either Doe Run or Doran, depending on which side of the tracks you were from. :biggrin: Passed through there many a times heading back and forth from Moultrie to All Benny.

I'm getting there. Coal grate is complete. I bought an 18" Weber coal grate and had a local welding shop attach the expanded metal around it, 8" high. Brought it home and attached three 3 1/2" x 1/2" bolts for legs using two 1/2" hex nuts and 2 washers per leg.

H-Coalgrate.jpg

I-Coalgratebottom.jpg

Good hunting up around Jax near the river. Got some buddys in a club up there.

I'm kinda wishing I hadn't taken the free shipping route on my 24.5" grates. Ready for them to be here so I can fire this thing up!

Yeah...the bolts didn't look as long in the store. Figure I might be downsizing. No way I can get the bottom grate in/out with food on it. Figured I might be able to angle it empty. When the grates get here I might be making some adjustments.

We'll see what it looks like. Hopefully I won't be too ashamed to post up some pics! :icon_smil

""Good hunting up around Jax near the river. Got some buddys in a club up there""

Ya, if you go to Jax and turn right and go about 4 miles on the left is the hunt camp I go to. My friend belongs and we go as visitors. His brother-in-law has 600 acres about 7 miles if you turn left at the light. So we have two places to hunt, one with about 3500 acres and the other with 600. Nice area and nicer folks.

Paul B
SS UDS

Have to say I am really digging that cooker man!! I have a standard UDS, but have been wanting to build a cooker out of one of the bigger drums. I am actually thinking of building one out of a 110 Gallon. I would think I would have plenty of cooking space to say the least!!!

Anyways again I really like it.

Brandon

Looks familiar...

Attachments

• UDS Pic's 078.jpg
    UDS Pic's 078.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 323
  • UDS Pic's 077.jpg
    UDS Pic's 077.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 319
you ever been to boones????:biggrin:

Boones! :eek: It's but a legend in name only anymore. A much more laid back joint that it used to be.

Have to say I am really digging that cooker man!! I have a standard UDS, but have been wanting to build a cooker out of one of the bigger drums. I am actually thinking of building one out of a 110 Gallon. I would think I would have plenty of cooking space to say the least!!!

Anyways again I really like it.

Brandon

Thanks bud! Go for it. Bigger is better.

Looks familiar...

What can I say...I was inspired. :biggrin:

Did a HOT burn in the drum today with some limbs. Didn't take long for the yellow paint and labels to bake off. A little brushing with a wire brush and she was ready to paint.

After the burnout
J-Afterburnout.jpg

K-Insideafterburnout.jpg

A can of Rustoleum grill paint and she's ready for action!
L-Painteddrumreadytocook.jpg

Now if UPS will just deliver my grates I'll get this thing fired up with some food on it!

Looks familiar again....

:eek:

They had 3 colors of paint...black, white & gold. White was out...too many fingerprints down the road and gold just seemed too fancy for an UDS. No bling bling wanted. :mrgreen:

Back