The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

Default Smoke gateway (wifi) review (and pics from the weekend)

Hey all, thought I would right a short review after using the smoke gateway (wifi) for the first time this weekend. I received it last week around mid week and the setup was fairly straight forward. It probably took 10 minutes to set up and sync with my local wifi. From there, I was able to monitor the temps in my house for about 20 hours with no hiccups or loss of connection.
On Saturday I was able to use it for the first time during an actual cook. The cook lasted about 15 hours and the unit worked well for the most part. It lost connectivity once during the night (to the point where I had to physically pair the devices again). For some reason, every so often the graphing feature would reset itself and I would lose the historical graphing on my phone. That occurred about 5 or 6 times, but it wasn’t a big deal, because each time it happened, it saved the data to the “my saved graphs” section. In the end I was able to pull all of the data together, in order to make my own chart. I was very pleased that the device had saved the data as I wanted to know how my guru performed overnight (it worked like a champ).
All in all, I’m very happy with the wifi device so far. I’m looking forward to using this quite a bit in the future. When my buddy and I take on catering jobs, we rent out a kitchen which is about 20 minutes away. I’m really looking forward to the ability to monitor our cookers from across town. I will say that last Saturday was probably the best night of sleep I’ve had while cooking in a while.. Looking forward to using this thing quite a bit in the coming months, and I’ll report back. Thanks to thermoworks for another awesome product!
Pics from the cook attached – the graph was something that I put together based on excel exports. Smoke has the ability to export data to excel, then it’s up to you to make the graph.
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (47.4 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (48.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (32.3 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (65.9 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (80.2 KB, 191 views)

Smoke Syndicate
BBQ team
Insulated vertical smoker
34" x 72" Custom Build "Slag"
Peteg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-14-2017, 05:22 AM   #2
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thanks for the review. Some fine looking groceries you have there too.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet Bertha, Broil King Baron Gasser, Weber Copper Original Premium MA (Major Award)with Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Red Thermapen Mk4, Red Thermapop
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
billm
is One Chatty Farker

I like my Smoke as well. I use it mainly for monitoring cooker temp..not so much meats. Works great..the range is even better now with the gateway although range was already good without it. I gave away all my mavericks as the range on them were useless for my setup

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
Cook
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Jay

With the wifi...are you able to get information (check temps) from a remote location. Like if you go to work, are you able to log in to the wifi and keep an eye on things?

Old 09-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #5
93_confirmed
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
With the wifi...are you able to get information (check temps) from a remote location. Like if you go to work, are you able to log in to the wifi and keep an eye on things?
That's what I want to know. The fact that it's marketed as wifi makes me think that once I go outside my wifi zone, I lose connectivity. Is that the case?
93_confirmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

You can definitely monitor it remotely. As long as you can get internet access on your phone, you can monitor it from wherever.

Smoke Syndicate
BBQ team
Insulated vertical smoker
34" x 72" Custom Build "Slag"
Peteg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->