The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
sudsandswine
is One Chatty Farker

Default Pulled pork "fishy" flavor?

I've had a few different people over the past year or so eat pulled pork I've made and mention they detected a seafood taste to it. I always sample what I cook and I've never been able to detect it, but the fact completely unrelated people have offered that up unsolicited makes me believe they do legitimately taste it.

I usually use the "Chris Lilly pork injection" and fresh pork, so the only thing I can think of is that the Worcestershire sauce in it, which includes anchovies, is what they're detecting and perhaps it's kind of like cilantro - some people love it, and others think it tastes like soap - which is supposedly genetic.

I have been kicking around a few Worcestershire substitutes that still have an umami/savory note, just wondering if anyone else has heard this before. I'm not a real big fan of pork (I still like ribs) anyway, and maybe my palette just doesn't detect it.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
hurricanedavid
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #3
Toast
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you've not smoked fish on your cooker it could be overspicing it. Got to let the meat flavor come through.

Just my .02
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
GrillEye Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
IamMadMan

A tablespoon of Worcestershire isn't going to give you a lot of anchovy flavor especially being the second to the last on the ingredient list.

Several national brands sell anchovy-free varieties of Worcestershire sauce, often labelled as vegetarian or vegan. Orthodox Jews also refrain from eating fish and meat in the same dish, so they cannot use traditional Worcestershire sauce to flavor their meat. However, certain brands are certified to contain less than 1/60th of the fish product and can be used with meat. Look in the Kosher section of your grocery store. Also, Tonkatsu sauce is very similar, slightly thicker, and completely vegetarian.

What are you using as a rub?

I take it your cooker is clean and any drippings have been cleaned out before heating the smoker. When fats (including butter) start to turn rancid, they have a fishy or shrimp odor. If you have old oils, fats, or drippings in the bottom of the smoker or drain, maybe this could be a source?

Last edited by IamMadMan; 09-14-2017 at 05:35 AM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 PM   #5
JacksBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I spritz my briskets with a 50/50 mix of Worcestershire and water and use Worcestershire in my pork butt injection and Im don't think Ive ever noticed a fishy taste or had anybody complain about such. What brand do you typically use?

Old 09-13-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
bbqwizard
is Blowin Smoke!

That sounds more like a grease issue maybe. If you rub the pork with oil before or after applying the rub, make sure that it isn't rancid. A just a couple thoughts.
Eat, train, Transform!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 11:33 PM   #7
WareZdaBeef
is One Chatty Farker

Cilantro taste like stink bugs. I like cilantro, don't ask me how i know cilantro taste like stink bugs.... Lets just say i am a fan of bizarre foods.
WareZdaBeef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 12:18 AM   #8
Badjak
Full Fledged Farker

I would be surprised if it is the worcestershire sauce.
We use a lot of it, also when making biltong and bloody mary's and have never tasted anything fishy.
But, leave it out, try soy or maggi seasoning sauce instead, and see....

By the way, I love cilantro and yes, stink bugs taste almost the same (don't ask me either )

Old 09-14-2017, 01:19 AM   #9
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Did you mistakenly grab the Old Bay instead of your pork rub?

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #10
Dweverett
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

From what I've read there is a gland in there that can impart a funky flavor if not removed. I've only found it twice, both times I believe in full bone in butts from RD. I'm usually smoking either a trimmed butt from the local grocer or a boneless one from Costco so it could have been removed during the processing.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:33 AM   #11
Nuco59
is One Chatty Farker

I have a friend who will not eat a bone -in- butt. He says the bone gives it an "off taste". I don't detect it- but maybe his nose and taster is more sensitive to me...

or he could just be nuts

/coin flip

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-14-2017, 06:52 AM   #12
4ever3
Babbling Farker

Is it possible it is a combination of injection and rub with the fresh pork as opposed to the pork that is enhanced?

Might be interesting to cook an enhanced butt using the same injection and rub and have your friends taste test it.

Old Oklahoma Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Jumbo Smokey Joe
Weber Classic Premium (Jessi)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)

“Life is a luminous pause between two great mysteries, which themselves are one.” Carl Jung
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 07:30 AM   #13
sudsandswine
is One Chatty Farker

I typically use plowboys yardbird or eat barbecue zero to hero on pork and if anything I am probably on the lighter end of the spectrum for rub. Cooker is clean, in fact it's happened on multiple cookers. I always remove the only gland I am aware of when I trim the butt.

I don't get it, I've never tasted it and i think my pork generally tastes good (for pork) but enough unrelated people have mentioned it, I am starting to wonder.

I use Lea and Perrins brand Worcestershire

Last edited by sudsandswine; 09-14-2017 at 07:35 AM..
sudsandswine is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #14
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Serve with tartar sauce and be done with it!

Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #15
NickTheGreat
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not a fan of injecting anyways, so I'd be curious to see what happens if you didn't do that.