The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
Macky
Take a breath!

Default Rib Temperature vs 300

I want to start using 300 as my target for all my smokes but was thinking that this approach might not be optimal for Ribs. Am I off base with this thought or not? Do you have a target temperature for everything or specific temps for specific meats? Mac
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #2
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

I run my Traeger at 275 with ribs and I think I push close to 300 with grate temps. The bottoms get a little crunchy with the rub I use but they are still good. I would not compete at those temperature though with ribs I don't think judges would like the "bottom bark"

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
4ever3
Babbling Farker

I cook everything at 275°/300° Mac, excellent results in quicker time...

Run a rack at 300° and see what ya think, in the end it's personal preference anyway

Old Oklahoma Joe
UDS
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Jumbo Smokey Joe
Weber Classic Premium (Jessi)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)

“Life is a luminous pause between two great mysteries, which themselves are one.” Carl Jung
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #4
BBQEsquire
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
I want to start using 300 as my target for all my smokes but was thinking that this approach might not be optimal for Ribs. Am I off base with this thought or not? Do you have a target temperature for everything or specific temps for specific meats? Mac
Nothing wrong with 300 degrees, My Man. In this country, MOST ribs are cooked at 300+ degrees. That is, they are grilled. Fact! 300+ does not mean you will not get tasty ribs, especially if you are Smoking and not Grilling. It's like driving. The faster you drive - the faster you will get there. Cook Hotter and the meat gets done faster. They are pluses and minuses to both. If you are Driving fast, you may get a ticket and you will definitely burn a lot of gas. If you are Cooking Hotter, you run the risk of overcooking your meat, especially if you grilling.

My suggestion for your 300 degree cook:

1. Practice 2. Practice some more 3. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

You will quickly figure out how to accomplish the "300" cook and produce a quality product.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
MountainMan
Full Fledged Farker

I tend to use different temperatures ranging from 225 to 275 for different products.
MountainMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #6
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

I think comp guys cook ribs at 300 until they get color they like, and then wrap to protect from burning. You could try that too!

2018 St. Louis BASH June 30 Whitecliff Park. Thread *** Bash Survey

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

You will definitely will have more bark on the bottom of your ribs, which isn't a bad thing depending on preference. You could have inconsistent results if you have thin racks along with hot spots etc.. Bark may turn to char. However if you watch how much sugar you put on your ribs and use a heat diffuser you could avoid that charred bottom.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
SwineGuy
Full Fledged Farker

I am a 250 guy for everything. But that is just my preference and what I am used to. I see absolutely no reason why you can't do ribs at 300. You'll just have to practice a lot and sample the results. And that doesn't exactly suck!

Old 09-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
KevinJ
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've cooked plenty of racks at 300, found I had more consistent results cooking for 2hrs naked then wrap for 1hr than just cooking racks naked the whole cook. I like to hang them and prefer to cook ribs naked so I have backed my cook temp down to around 275, cook naked for 4hrs give or take, giving them a spritz every 45min. I have been very happy with the results so that is my target temp for ribs everything else is cooked at 300+ so I'm a believer of HNF.

As said above give it a try and see what you think.
KevinJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #10
Macky
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I've cooked plenty of racks at 300, found I had more consistent results cooking for 2hrs naked then wrap for 1hr than just cooking racks naked the whole cook. I like to hang them and prefer to cook ribs naked so I have backed my cook temp down to around 275, cook naked for 4hrs give or take, giving them a spritz every 45min. I have been very happy with the results so that is my target temp for ribs everything else is cooked at 300+ so I'm a believer of HNF.

As said above give it a try and see what you think.
To all who posted, thanks for your comments.

Kevin - I am going to try my hand at hanging various Proteins once my hanging rack gets fabricated. I like the idea of hanging them naked with just enough spritz to keep them moist and hope I can make that work in my Deep South. I am trying to perfect a hands off approach once placed in the smoker. Less handling is best in my book! Do to wrap your ribs when hanging them or did I not understand your comment?

Last edited by Macky; 09-13-2017 at 01:44 PM..

Old 09-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
KevinJ
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
To all who posted, thanks for your comments.

Kevin - I am going to try my hand at hanging various Proteins once my hanging rack gets fabricated. I like the idea of hanging them naked with just enough spritz to keep them moist and and hope I can make that work in my Deep South. I am trying to perfect a hands off approach once placed in the smoker. Less handling is best in my book! Do to wrap your ribs when hanging them or did I not understand your comment?
I was hanging Ribs unwrapped at 300 but wasn't getting consistent results so I tried hanging the Ribs for 2hrs at 300 then replacing the hanging rack with a regular grate letting the Ribs cook flat on the grate meat side down wrapped with a little bit of apple juice in the wrap for the last hour. I found this to give me a more consistency with the Ribs cooking more evenly throughout the whole rack and better color.

I don't like wrapping Ribs and when I bumped the temp back down to 275 and started using a spritz I've been very happy with the results, when cooking at 300 naked they weren't bad I just knew they could be better, I'm my own worst critic so when I'm happy with a cook I know they're good.

You may find cooking on the Deep South you can cook your Ribs at 300 without wrapping, I'm sure your cook chamber provides a moister cooking environment than my Drum. Give it a try and see what you think.
KevinJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #12
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I was hanging Ribs unwrapped at 300 but wasn't getting consistent results so I tried hanging the Ribs for 2hrs at 300 then replacing the hanging rack with a regular grate letting the Ribs cook flat on the grate meat side down wrapped with a little bit of apple juice in the wrap for the last hour. I found this to give me a more consistency with the Ribs cooking more evenly throughout the whole rack and better color.

I don't like wrapping Ribs and when I bumped the temp back down to 275 and started using a spritz I've been very happy with the results, when cooking at 300 naked they weren't bad I just knew they could be better, I'm my own worst critic so when I'm happy with a cook I know they're good.

You may find cooking on the Deep South you can cook your Ribs at 300 without wrapping, I'm sure your cook chamber provides a moister cooking environment than my Drum. Give it a try and see what you think.
Good info, will try this technique on my next PBC ribs
KORND4WG X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #13
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

i have cooked ribs at 300 in my GF, cabinet, offset, jimmy and they all come out good. if you experience the bottom coming out too dark try leaving the membrane on. it melts off at higher temps so maybe that will give the bottom a little protection. i don't wrap my ribs any more.

Shirley 24x55 Straight Back Cabinet 4 Racks
T&K Smokers GF /Abe's 48" Entertainer / 22.5 OTG
28" BS / Custom 20x52 vertical / Jimmy with CB Roti
Red Box Smoker on custom cart

2018 Texas Fall Bash - Oct. 27th 2018 https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...19#post3972819
2018 Texas Fall Bash Sign Up https://goo.gl/L6rTyE
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #14
Macky
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
i have cooked ribs at 300 in my GF, cabinet, offset, jimmy and they all come out good. if you experience the bottom coming out too dark try leaving the membrane on. it melts off at higher temps so maybe that will give the bottom a little protection. i don't wrap my ribs any more.
Interesting take on the membrane. I do remove mine but never really gave much thought to leaving them on and letting the heat "Melt" them off! Mac

Old 09-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #15
Toast
somebody shut me the fark up.

After reading Aaron Franklin's Meat Smoking Manifesto, 275 now for anything on the smoker.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
GrillEye Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Toast is online now   Reply With Quote