The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #16
JacksBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Really I'd drive North to Ennis and get a Johnson T Pit . $1680 ....... a Vertical Horizontal Double Reverse Flow- Oh Ya.!!

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/20-t-pit/

These guys make some pretty awesome reverse flow pits. This one in particular is one I originally considered for my patio smoker.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #17
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksBBQ View Post
LSG is hard to go wrong with. I've got one of their big vertical offsets and the build quality is top notch. I think their prices are a lot better than most of the other Houston pit builders. I really like their fire box damper design. Not really a fan of those spinning ones that gator uses. Just one more thing that can bind up. My vertical offset is stupid easy to run to. I did a brisket on Sunday and I might have spent a grand total of 30 minutes jacking around with it over the course of the day.

Not a horizontal, but here is a full album for mine.

https://imgur.com/a/KITNm
Jack, I've been daydreaming looking at that top notch imgur album of yours. You've got the kind of cooker that I hope to get in the spring time. Thanks for sharing

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #18
ruger35
Knows what a fatty is.

I went from a Yoder to a LSG 24x48 horizontal offset and couldn't be happier. I bought mine slightly used in Houston, drove 4.5 hours to get it. Like others have said, the welds are amazing, overall craftsmanship is top notch.

I had mine smoking for almost 36 hours straight Labor Day weekend,it got a 3 hour break while I got some sleep. Did 50 lbs of pulled pork, 2 full steamers of Gary's beans, 13 pound brisket, and 2 racks of Dino ribs. The space with the slide out trays are great. With tuning plates and stainless water bowl by fire box my entire pit was within 5-10 degrees. I really loved having brisket on the first across to the second grate at 250 and my beef ribs above the brisket right at 275. Its like this thing was meant for cooking!

If you order new i would save myself some time and get two probe ports added. If not, they are easy to do yourself. I just drilled and tapped a hole in each side of the pit and keep a bolt loosely threaded when I'm storing it.
ruger35 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #19
ruger35
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksBBQ View Post
LSG is hard to go wrong with. I've got one of their big vertical offsets and the build quality is top notch. I think their prices are a lot better than most of the other Houston pit builders. I really like their fire box damper design. Not really a fan of those spinning ones that gator uses. Just one more thing that can bind up. My vertical offset is stupid easy to run to. I did a brisket on Sunday and I might have spent a grand total of 30 minutes jacking around with it over the course of the day.

Not a horizontal, but here is a full album for mine.

https://imgur.com/a/KITNm
Not to get off topic, and it may be different since yours is a vertical, but do you find that meat cooked directly over the tunig plates cooks faster than normal? May just seem that way to me.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #20
JacksBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger35 View Post
Not to get off topic, and it may be different since yours is a vertical, but do you find that meat cooked directly over the tunig plates cooks faster than normal? May just seem that way to me.
Haven't noticed it in mine but I also don't use the bottom rack very often. Most everything goes in on the middle racks or gets hung from the sausage hangers. I mainly just put a water pan down there if Im not filling the bottom of the main chamber up which holds about 2.5 gallons of water.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #21
JacksBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I went from a Yoder to a LSG 24x48 horizontal offset and couldn't be happier. I bought mine slightly used in Houston, drove 4.5 hours to get it. Like others have said, the welds are amazing, overall craftsmanship is top notch.

I had mine smoking for almost 36 hours straight Labor Day weekend,it got a 3 hour break while I got some sleep. Did 50 lbs of pulled pork, 2 full steamers of Gary's beans, 13 pound brisket, and 2 racks of Dino ribs. The space with the slide out trays are great. With tuning plates and stainless water bowl by fire box my entire pit was within 5-10 degrees. I really loved having brisket on the first across to the second grate at 250 and my beef ribs above the brisket right at 275. Its like this thing was meant for cooking!

If you order new i would save myself some time and get two probe ports added. If not, they are easy to do yourself. I just drilled and tapped a hole in each side of the pit and keep a bolt loosely threaded when I'm storing it.
After using my LSG as much as I have and reading about all these posts about fire management issues in the Wichitas, it seems it would be worth spending a little bit more money to get something like the LSG. The 24x24 firebox that Chris uses on everything makes fire management super simple.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #22
The Wookiee
Full Fledged Farker

I'm the lucky recipient of thoey1963's drama above and I love love love love 'The Beast' (also what my kids call it). LSGs practically whistle while they draft. Super versatile. Can't recommend enough.

My other 2 finalist were Johnson 24" t-pit and pitmaker sniper. pitmaker seems to really focus on their cabinets and get pricy pretty quick. Johnsons sound to be outstanding, steady temps and efficient. I've recommended them to others who've asked and chad seems like a very reasonable and stand up guy- noting chris and his wife at LSG do great customer service as well.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #23
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

I would highly consider the 24 vs 20. I have the 24x48 and having pans fit front to back is awesome. I would also consider the warming oven if you can swing it. Awesome for chicken. Overall very happy with my LSG. Super simple to run...

Remember RGB....always sending it
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #24
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

I'm already sold on LSG and it's just getting the green light from the wife. Chris has been such a good sport answering my emails over months that I don't want to bother the man anymore until I make a deposit.

Separate but related question: I'm curious why there aren't too many Gator Pits on the Brethren? I know they make a world class rig but just don't show up much in these here parts. Thoughts?

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"

Old 09-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #25
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cost Too Much........and Lead Time.......?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #26
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
I can chime on this since I've loaded mine up a lot and everything cooks even all the way down to the bottom rack right above the plates.

Here's an example of a cook for work

You can see the texture and color on all the ribs, chicken, sausage and butts barely visible on the left are the same(with the exception of the fried chicken that's in the pic of course )

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)
Hunsaker Drum
Pit Barrel Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE" Member
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #27
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wookiee View Post
I'm the lucky recipient of thoey1963's drama above and I love love love love 'The Beast' (also what my kids call it). LSGs practically whistle while they draft. Super versatile. Can't recommend enough.

My other 2 finalist were Johnson 24" t-pit and pitmaker sniper. pitmaker seems to really focus on their cabinets and get pricy pretty quick. Johnsons sound to be outstanding, steady temps and efficient. I've recommended them to others who've asked and chad seems like a very reasonable and stand up guy- noting chris and his wife at LSG do great customer service as well.

Yep! They LSG VO literally howls like a furnace when intake and dampers are wide open. Drafts like nothing else I've cooked on or seen. I'm going to video it one day.

I know the op is looking for horizontal but VO's are worth a look IMHO.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)
Hunsaker Drum
Pit Barrel Junior

Old 09-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #28
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Yep! They LSG VO literally howls like a furnace when intake and dampers are wide open. Drafts like nothing else I've cooked on or seen. I'm going to video it one day.

I know the op is looking for horizontal but VO's are worth a look IMHO.
+1 Sako!

I've had a half dozen horizontal cookers over two decades. The VO was a sleeper that I never considered until I saw the magnificent cooks on VO rigs on Brethren.

To OP, you won't go wrong with either but Gator will make you at least 1000 bucks lighter. LSG is polished in a way you just don't see very often. I've been obsessed with the LSG YouTube channel and I'm hooked

Old 09-12-2017, 11:57 PM   #29
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Q.U.E. View Post
+1 Sako!

I've had a half dozen horizontal cookers over two decades. The VO was a sleeper that I never considered until I saw the magnificent cooks on VO rigs on Brethren.

To OP, you won't go wrong with either but Gator will make you at least 1000 bucks lighter. LSG is polished in a way you just don't see very often. I've been obsessed with the LSG YouTube channel and I'm hooked
Polished is the perfect word to describe LSG. Once decided on what I wanted it took 10 mins to place my order, sight unseen, with Amber at LSG. After the 4 month wait in 2014 (still the same if not more) I had my 1500lb rig delivered to driveway without a single scratch. Seeing the thing person was another story as pics don't to their pits justice.

OldBill on here was my mentor and one of the first people to own the LSGVO. Through countless PM's, he guided me through the whole process with a wealth of info from the pit options to running one. Huge motivator becuase LSG was fairly new and there was hardly any info anywhere. Needless to say I'm still happy and would do it again in a heartbeat vertical, horizontal, insulated or anything they offer.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)
Hunsaker Drum
Pit Barrel Junior

Old 09-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #30
ruger35
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
I can chime on this since I've loaded mine up a lot and everything cooks even all the way down to the bottom rack right above the plates.

Here's an example of a cook for work

You can see the texture and color on all the ribs, chicken, sausage and butts barely visible on the left are the same(with the exception of the fried chicken that's in the pic of course )

Man thats an awesome cook! Having me second guessing my decision to skip the VO. Thatvwas originally.NY plan, just something about the look of a horizontal that drew me. I'm going to experiment next time by not placing my brisket directly over the plates. But, my beef ribs were done in 4-5 hours instead of the usual 8 to 9 people always claim. I did cook at 275 and they were proving through like butter.