The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: When using a commercial sauce; what do you do (if anything) to make it better?
Nothing, I use a commercial sauce straight out of the bottle. 61 40.13%
I add other spices / ingredients to a commercial sauce. 33 21.71%
I mix a homemade sauce with a commercial sauce. 9 5.92%
I blend/mix two commerical sauces. 24 15.79%
I blend/mix more than two commercial sauces. 8 5.26%
I don't use commercial sauces. 17 11.18%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default POLL RESULTS _ Commercial BBQ Sauces

Go To Message #45 to See Detailed Results / Statistics / Comparisons.

I am not only curious how many Brethren use a commercial BBQ sauce, but also how many add other ingredients to the sauce, or blend two or more sauces to create a signature product.

Mike Mills, The BBQ Legend, wrote in his book "Peace, Love, BBQ" (2005) that Maull’s is the perfect base sauce to start with and add your own ingredients to make it your own "Secret Sauce". Johnny Trig (The GodFather of Ribs) remarked during a winning competition cook; He stated that his sauce has been perfected and he uses a mixture of bottled sauces, of course he did not say which ones.

It's not a discussion of whether using a commercial sauce or making your own is better, but rather a poll of what you use.

If you mix two or more sauces and add other ingredients as well, then please select mix the sauces.

It doesn't matter if you apply the sauce to the meat, serve it on the side, or just have it for you guests. If you have it then you must serve it, at least occasionally.

Just curious as to what both back yard and competition cooks use to enhance their meat.

BTW, the results will be revealed on Wednesday if anyone has an interest on the statistics.

EDIT:

I had several question in private messages so; I can't change the questions once the poll has started.

Just for clarification here, I'm looking for your most common action for your response...... Not about your personal preference, but your most common practice.

Personally, I prefer no sauce on most things, but I do serve sauce on the side for dipping for the family and for guests. I will also sauce ribs in the last stage as some family members and guests prefer. So even though I don't use sauce for myself, I do use it for others, and i do serve several on the side. So my response would be that Yes, I do use sauce.

I also mix/blend several sauces as well as adding other ingredients, so I would choose that I mix more than two commercial sauces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
I need two responses. Sometimes i use them straight out of the bottle (SBR)...But sometimes I mix (blues hog original and Tennessee red).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez59 View Post
^^^I came in here to post this exact thing.^^^
Use your most common action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatback Joe View Post
Mix two and add a little something
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I could only choose one, so i went with mixing more than one, but I do all of those, depending on the sauce, meat, my mood, phase of the moon...
I hear you, we all change things from time to time, but I feel you went with the right choice.

I have to say, I am really surprised by the results of the poll, it's nothing like I expected.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 08-30-2017 at 02:03 PM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #2
Smoking Piney
Babbling Farker

I blend commercial sauces.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-25-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

I need two responses. Sometimes i use them straight out of the bottle (SBR)...But sometimes I mix (blues hog original and Tennessee red).

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-25-2017, 08:04 AM   #4
16Adams

I enjoy commercial sauces but I do have a few quirks.
No soy oil, lecithin etc. none of any type-Bride Medical Contraindicated
No HFCS-I know the debate-I avoid
No artificial sweeteners
No Hydrogenated anything

Do I mix- sure. I've added unsweet ketchup, Mexican Soda (cane sugar used to make), everything in liquor cabinet, beer dark no light, every red/green sauce imaginable. Often add juices of the cook, or previous cooks.

Thing is I don't always Sauce. Seldom do the same thing twice and don't take notes. Just MSU s I go. A bottle of anything lasts a long time. Probably favorites include Sucklebusters Trader Joe's and Stubbs they're available locally.
I may venture into these

http://paleogrubs.com/bbq-sauce-recipes

Yesterday's glaze was Trader Joe's Organic Sriracha Garlic Q Sauce-Pure Colorado Honey and Black Pepper thinned with rib juice

Last edited by 16Adams; 09-07-2017 at 04:16 PM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

Mix two and add a little something

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2017, 08:08 AM   #6
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

I usually go right out of the bottle or add a thinner like apple juice. I dont use a lot of sauce but when I do I dont like it thick
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #7
TedW
is One Chatty Farker

I make my own from local ingredients that I can control
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #8
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
^^^I came in here to post this exact thing.^^^
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet Bertha, Broil King Baron Gasser, Weber Copper Original Premium MA (Major Award)with Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Red Thermapen Mk4, Red Thermapop
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
dadsr4

We keep SBR in the frig for anyone who wants to use it.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #10
cullenbranson
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cullen

I use them straight . . . more for dipping other foods like roasted sweet tater wedges than BBQ, but I always have bottles of a Stubb's variety and Maull's Original. Although I try to stay away from science project ingredients in all things, some things just hold sentimental value and are goooood.

Nirvana is watching a Cards game, drinking an ice cold Budweiser, eating a Maull's pork steak, followed up by some Tums. St. Louisans know.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:41 AM   #11
10-8
Full Fledged Farker

I make a base sauce then blend it 50/50 with a commercial sauce

Old 08-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #12
Bob C Cue
Babbling Farker

I usually just use commercial sauce but on occasion will thin with a bit of beer.

By the way I think we have far too many polls here. So much so that I once created a poll to see if people agreed with me!
Thermoworks Smoke
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #13
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

I only use sauce on ribs, sometimes not. When I do the only one I like is Cattleman's.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #14
Lomey
Full Fledged Farker

I use Cow Town. Sometimes I add a liitle root beer and my rub. Maybe some minced garlic. Depends on what I'm cooking.
Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #15
Vicar
On the road to being a farker

mix personal and commercial, with whatever is on hand.
Vicar is offline   Reply With Quote