MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #16
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Brethren, it's Hatch Green Chile Time- can we get an AMEN!!!!

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-09-2014, 11:09 PM   #17
scarekrow
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Aaaamen
scarekrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #18
16Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
So, you roast and peel them, then freeze them? Or roast and freeze them, then peel when ready to use?
Yes-either works fine!!

Old 08-10-2014, 02:34 AM   #19
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Wife doesn't care for them, so I only bought six... They are bagged and in the refridge for use tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (59.0 KB, 108 views)

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #20
bathmatt
On the road to being a farker

Texas may have brisket, but we got the chili over here.. Looks great. I need to get my 40lb sack soon.
bathmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #21
MJ_Tenn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Michael

I "discovered" these chiles last year on this forum and ordered from a website....I love them!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #22
bigeater
Got Wood.

Default smoking other end

HEY you BE SMOKING THE OTHER END TOMMOROW
bigeater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #23
exprmntal
Got Wood.

I just saw some Hatch Chile in the store this morning and had the same idea! Just not quite on the same scale as you (I just bought 4 nice sized ones to roast on the kettle for my wife). She loves Hatch Chiles!

Old 08-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #24
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I like corn torts and I cannot lie....

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #25
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Tough to find good ones around here. I remember driving to a grocery store last year or the year before that was advertising them. We drove over an hour to get there and they were pretty well sold out. They had a couple of barrel roasters out front if people wanted them roasted. There was literally a line clear around the store waiting to roast their newly purchased peppers.

Does anybody know of a reputable company that ships good (hot) raw Hatch Peppers for a reasonable rate?

Old 08-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #26
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
Tough to find good ones around here. I remember driving to a grocery store last year or the year before that was advertising them. We drove over an hour to get there and they were pretty well sold out. They had a couple of barrel roasters out front if people wanted them roasted. There was literally a line clear around the store waiting to roast their newly purchased peppers.

Does anybody know of a reputable company that ships good (hot) raw Hatch Peppers for a reasonable rate?
A quick search revealed these folks: http://gravesfarmandgarden.com/index...pper&Itemid=76

It's just the shipping cost that's a killer. I'm sure there are others.

Standard shipping rate isn't too bad. Problem is, no telling how much wilt will occur in those few days during transit. I'm sure they could answer those questions though.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #27
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
A quick search revealed these folks: http://gravesfarmandgarden.com/index...pper&Itemid=76

It's just the shipping cost that's a killer. I'm sure there are others.

Standard shipping rate isn't too bad. Problem is, no telling how much wilt will occur in those few days during transit. I'm sure they could answer those questions though.
Thanks - yeah, I did a search. Just wondered if anybody had any first hand experience

The company you linked will ship a bushel to me for a bit over $50 2nd day Fedex, but I'm not sure how well they hold up to 2 day this time of year. Also never calls them "Hatch", only green chilies and they are based in Roswell.

Ah well. We have friends from outside of Albuquerque who are coming out at the end of the month. Maybe I'll hit them up.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #28
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Thanks - yeah, I did a search. Just wondered if anybody had any first hand experience

The company you linked will ship a bushel to me for a bit over $50 2nd day Fedex, but I'm not sure how well they hold up to 2 day this time of year. Also never calls them "Hatch", only green chilies and they are based in Roswell.

Ah well. We have friends from outside of Albuquerque who are coming out at the end of the month. Maybe I'll hit them up.

Many thing to consider, some sell green chile, but not from Hatch just like you said. Plus, it all depends on when they pick it and the number of days from there that it ships to you. The season is about 3-4 weeks, so your friends from Albuquerque should be able to bring some to you!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #29
fljoemon
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I just got a pound at Fresh Market here in Orlando, FL ... $1.99/lb .. ouch.

Wanted to try them .. so looks like salsas, quesadillas are the more popular items people make with these.
fljoemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #30
Smokeat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

You just need to suck it up and plan to get Hatch Chile. There are many roastings in SoCal nowadays, you need to get there EARLY, and prepare to wait for roasting. It is a fun annual event, well worth the small effort. I guarantee that if you call the produce manager(at a store prior to a scheduled roasting) and explain your situation, they will set a case or two aside for you.

Here is a link to the most comprehensive list of SoCal roastings that I know of, plenty of dates still to come: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/983698
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote