MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #61
Smokin' Aces
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
some valid points on all the combinations used. I think I'm leaning towards (2) 22"s

Just curious what the going number for used 18" wsm's, will be selling the 3 I have as well as a 2fan stoker draft system

sled i am intereted in the smokers and fans i tried to pm you pm me back and let know prices
Smokin' Aces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #62
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

WSM smokers are well worth their money...........
Big Bears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #63
JerryA

Does anybody here cook two butts and one brisket in a single 18" WSM? I know some teams do that in comps, I tried it this past weekend at home and results were not that great. I think maybe the butts were too large and money muscles were too close to the edge where the heat rises (butts were on bottom rack), and that resulted in the front piece of the money muscles becoming tough while the inside of the money muscle was perfect. Brisket was fairly large but shrunk nicely, cooked OK.
JerryA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #64
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

How about insulation? Anyone use that reflectix stuff or a guru jacket?
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #65
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Does anybody here cook two butts and one brisket in a single 18" WSM? I know some teams do that in comps, I tried it this past weekend at home and results were not that great. I think maybe the butts were too large and money muscles were too close to the edge where the heat rises (butts were on bottom rack), and that resulted in the front piece of the money muscles becoming tough while the inside of the money muscle was perfect. Brisket was fairly large but shrunk nicely, cooked OK.
Its a tight fit, but I point the MM'S towards the center when I do two butts on one grate.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #66
Stacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenernator View Post
For those doing chicken and ribs on the same WSM, are you putting one meat above the other? Staggering the times so that the ribs are done before putting on chicken? Or something else?
Chenernator, I do 3 slabs on the bottom rack if I'm using water in the pan. I found the bottom will run 20 degrees cooler so my ribs can cook at 235 while my chicken cooks at 255. I cook 16 thighs on the top rack in two foil pans so I don't get drippings on the ribs (hopefully the ribs are foiled by the time the chicken goes on anyway) If I time everything correctly, when I open the lid to tweak the chicken I pull the top rack and check the ribs then get everything closed back up and start managing the temp spike I just created. I would say this works well for me but I've yet to get a call for ribs so I may change it up a bit for next year.
SAUCED HOG BBQ / KCBS CBJ #60733
Stacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #67
Still Smokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Don't use the Reflectix stuff, I tried that this weekend and it melted to the sides of my WSM. It was OK for a while until I took the lid off to check meats and the temp spiked, as soon as I put the lid back on, it melted.

Still Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #68
JerryA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Its a tight fit, but I point the MM'S towards the center when I do two butts on one grate.
Thanks for the response.
What size pork butts do you buy. Mine were over 9lbs each, I don't think they would have fit if MM pointed toward the center.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #69
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryA View Post
Thanks for the response.
What size pork butts do you buy. Mine were over 9lbs each, I don't think they would have fit if MM pointed toward the center.
That sounds about right for the size I typically use. If you have to trim the side opposite of the MM to get a better fit, it shouldn't matter much because I find the meat on the MM side of the bone to be better anyway.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #70
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryA View Post
Jerry,

The tight fit for the butts lead me to use the 22". With the 18", there were problems when removing the butts for foiling. Sometimes the butts would fall apart right at the MM. With the extra room in the 22", I put the MMs facing the center of the grate.

Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #71
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I also had the melting problem with the reflectix stuff. I now use the BBQ Guru jackets in all weather conditions. It helps me to use less charcoal in the 22". I can go over 16 hours on 2/3 bag of Kingsford Blue at 250 degrees.

Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #72
JerryA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimebbq View Post
Jerry,

The tight fit for the butts lead me to use the 22". With the 18", there were problems when removing the butts for foiling. Sometimes the butts would fall apart right at the MM. With the extra room in the 22", I put the MMs facing the center of the grate.

Benny
Thanks Benny! I have a 22 and an 18, I'm going to have to re-think my strategy!

Old 10-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #73
atvalaska
Knows what a fatty is.

1-22" performer and 3 -18' wsm's ...... no 22"wsm for me...i used one(22"wsm) twice now, and i'm not liken it.........uses more fuel / lots of mass/harder.... to hold temp in my book.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #74
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
no 22"wsm for me...i used one(22"wsm) twice now, and i'm not liken it.........uses more fuel
I've read this criticism more than once re: the 22. I don't get it. You can cook twice as much meat, of course it will take more fuel
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #75
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I've read this criticism more than once re: the 22. I don't get it. You can cook twice as much meat, of course it will take more fuel
yeah, you really need to load that farker up to justify firing her up.

OR, just take out the middle section. i can smoke a couple racks of ribs with a 1/4 bag of stubbs.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote