MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Anyone have a big easy?

Second go today with my cl score, the big easy. I cut off the money muscle side of a pork shoulder tied it and stacked on some red potatoes. Light coat of oil and a little lemon pepper.

First go was a 7.5 lbs chicken, it took over 2 hrs. I measured the chamber at around 340*. I thought it cooked faster?

Can anyone tell me their cook times/ temp. How bout a pic of the burners on? I've never had a gas cooker and I won't let this stop me.

The chicken

Pork roast and potatoes

About 15 min in to the cook.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
smoke ninja

1.5 hrs

Old 04-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
Fwismoker

If you keep this up you'll get your smoke stripped from your name!

I'm sure it'll taste great...looks good so far!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
bigabyte

Oh thank goodness!

I thought you were making fun of my wife!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a Big Easy... only use it for whole chicken & duck... put the birds on a stand that holds them vertically. 3 1/2 lb chicken takes 60-80 min. depending on outdoor temp. & wind. Cold wind blows the hot air out of the cooker. Mesh top will help but be careful... It is easy to char the skin if you put the lid on too early.

You will get more even heating if you put something under the basket to raise it 2"... I use a 10" diameter cake pan with a removable bottom. I like to apply a liberal coat of Plowboy's "Yardbird" rub UNDER the chicken skin, perforate the skin with a fork to allow the fat to drain more easily and apply a lighter coat of rub to the outside of the skin. A rub with a high sugar content will burn before the meat is cooked.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirknwrk View Post
I have a Big Easy... only use it for whole chicken & duck... put the birds on a stand that holds them vertically. 3 1/2 lb chicken takes 60-80 min. depending on outdoor temp. & wind. Cold wind blows the hot air out of the cooker. Mesh top will help but be careful... It is easy to char the skin if you put the lid on too early.

You will get more even heating if you put something under the basket to raise it 2"... I use a 10" diameter cake pan with a removable bottom. I like to apply a liberal coat of Plowboy's "Yardbird" rub UNDER the chicken skin, perforate the skin with a fork to allow the fat to drain more easily and apply a lighter coat of rub to the outside of the skin. A rub with a high sugar content will burn before the meat is cooked.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to raise up the next bird I do with it. I still think something is wrong. This thing is not hot enough to burn anything, I can hold my hand in the chamber no problem. It's no hotter than a 325-350 oven and is searing the food the same.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
Dreggs
Full Fledged Farker

They are supposed to gook by IR, not by convection. they are slow. I cook chicken drumsticks for about an hour. they do come out good. And the propane tank last forever.
Dreggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
smokin30-06
Full Fledged Farker

Here is a pic of the flame. I think we both have the same, base model. One thing you might be missing is that they aren't designed to be adjusted in temp. Just turn it to full. I focused the shot on about 5 o'clock.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:16 AM   #9
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

my electric version runs about 300/325 the propane version of mine runs around 400, with the screen lid it goes up to 425...AWESOME cooker