MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #2431
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is a work of art. I'd have a hard time concentrating on work.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #2432
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
That is a work of art. I'd have a hard time concentrating on work.
Hah. Not going to lie, at one point the entire staff was outside playing with it and the poor cashier we left inside came running out back like OMG, I've got five brisket sandwiches, somebody help!

Oops.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #2433
drumdawg67
Take a breath!

Beautiful pit Jeremy. Can't wait to try something off of it one of these days. Congrats & continued success!

Old 09-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #2434
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

glad you finally got it

so is Paul!!!

congrats, welcome to the SF family!!!
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #2435
unixadm
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
This thing isn't a smoker. It's a work of art!

I've seen a lot of pits, but this one is in a league of its own. The attention to detail that went into this build is amazing. Glad we finally managed to get it up here. It's out back seasoning now and hopefully we can put some meat on it this weekend. Can't thank Paul and Tyler enough.

Oh, and funny story, on the way back somewhere at a gas station in Kentucky, somebody offered close to $9k cash on the spot to buy it. That's tempting!
Everything Paul and Tyler build is a work of art - I didn't see a corner cut anywhere. We checked out a number of pits, including yours while we were at Paul's. They were all built with precision. When I look at my Lang, it's laughable in comparison. My buddy who is into guns said that they were built life safes and even though he doesn't have much interest in BBQ like I do, he couldn't help by check out all of the smokers. He still talks about the visit to Paul's and that was like a month ago. I'm glad to see it left Tuscaloosa and made it home.

Looks familiar (this is me with Paul, 9 hours into my 12 hour road trip of towing my new to me Southern Pride SP-1000 which I left at Paul's for a few days):

Old 09-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #2436
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
This thing isn't a smoker. It's a work of art!

I've seen a lot of pits, but this one is in a league of its own. The attention to detail that went into this build is amazing. Glad we finally managed to get it up here. It's out back seasoning now and hopefully we can put some meat on it this weekend. Can't thank Paul and Tyler enough.

Oh, and funny story, on the way back somewhere at a gas station in Kentucky, somebody offered close to $9k cash on the spot to buy it. That's tempting!
I'm guessing this means that you are now short cooler/storage space for meat? Any plans for that? By the way, NICE pit!
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #2437
Decoy205
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Wow that is a beautiful Pit! Congrats!
Decoy205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #2438
usecd
Got Wood.

Can you put a whole hog on that thing?
usecd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #2439
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt at Both Endz View Post
I'm guessing this means that you are now short cooler/storage space for meat? Any plans for that? By the way, NICE pit!
Well, we haven't ordered any extra meat yet so it isn't a problem, but if we get to where we're using it every weekend and need a few hundred extra pounds each week, it could get interesting.

But right now I'm talking with a local hog farm about switching to them for pork shoulders and they would be happy to deliver on other days from when our main order comes in. So with that I could stagger the deliveries to maximize our fridge space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usecd View Post
Can you put a whole hog on that thing?
Absolutely. Possibly two. That was the whole reason I opted for the single door design so that whole hogs would be a piece of cake.

But the first meat is on the new pit this afternoon and I'm anxious to try it out. Doing some rib tips, chicken, and turkey.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #2440
Team DD
Full Fledged Farker

The pit looks great! I emailed Paul this morning so hopefully we will get something going soon. Can't wait to see some food pron on the pit. I know you probably mentioned this earlier, but what size pit did you go with? Also, what size whole hog will it accommodate?

Congrats on the new Smoker!!
Weber One-Touch Silver
Custom Red Thermapen
Team DD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #2441
Doog
is One Chatty Farker

Enjoy that new smoker!! Looks awesome!!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #2442
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

I hope that pit serves you well.... Cant wait to see some of your food pics.... You will figure all the sweet spots out... Just takes a little cooking to do it.... A guy who owns a large Berkshire... Ossaba and Yorkshire pork farm bought on of my biggest units and loans it to high end chefs for use... They cook a lot of whole hogs... Lambs... And other stuff ... They love it....

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #2443
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscaloosaQ View Post
I hope that pit serves you well.... Cant wait to see some of your food pics.... You will figure all the sweet spots out... Just takes a little cooking to do it.... A guy who owns a large Berkshire... Ossaba and Yorkshire pork farm bought on of my biggest units and loans it to high end chefs for use... They cook a lot of whole hogs... Lambs... And other stuff ... They love it....
Thanks, Paul. This cooker is already the talk of the town. People pull in and you can see them just start pointing and gravitate to it. I can't get much work done because everybody wants to see it in action.

And thanks for your tips yesterday, we got it dialed in today and it cooked like a dream. It held temp perfectly and the meats came out tasting just like everything else we're putting out. Couldn't be happier.

Looks like early October is going to be a big time for it as well. We're taking it to another local hog farm to cook their product on-site for their VIP customer appreciation event, and then today got lined up for a local BBQ comp a few days later. Hopefully we will represent you well!

Old 09-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #2444
crb478
Full Fledged Farker

This cooker is already the talk of the town.

If it is drawing that much attention I would make sure it is very secure, there is always someone who thinks that they need it more than you do. Doesn't matter that you are the one who paid for it. The cooker is a beauty and I would hate to see some varmint to think it would look better at his house, or that it would be a quick cash sale.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #2445
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Agree with locking it down. I'd have it well marked / etched, have lots of pictures of it, and make sure your local PD gets fed from it so they keep an eye on it for you...

Also might be a good idea to have a SF sign on it. Might return some business back to Paul and Co.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->