MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #1771
SlowSmoked
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
Looks great, but why do you want to mess with a stick burner? Ain't nobody got time for that....especially you.

stick burners are where all the fun & skill are involved!

SlowSmoked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #1772
Lespauljeff
Found some matches.

Nice
Lespauljeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #1773
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Looks great, but why do you want to mess with a stick burner? Ain't nobody got time for that....especially you.
This is just an ancillary smoker to handle catering, events, and provide extra capacity on those busy weekends. I doubt it will be used every day, but having the option to cook an extra few hundred pounds a day if needed would be a huge bonus.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-07-2014, 02:47 AM   #1774
Crakaveli
Full Fledged Farker

is this an original picture or stock?

Crakaveli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #1775
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli View Post
is this an original picture or stock?

That's a stock photo. I built the website well before I started cooking here.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #1776
Mikeinctown
Full Fledged Farker

So last night I read 119 pages worth of updates from marubozo. What an amazing story. When I saw the thread start date I would have expected the place to be open within 3 months and the restaurant would be 9+ months open at this point. I live in Cleveland and at some point will have to plan a trip to Chicago or just take a one day trip and visit the place, if for nothing else but to eat there. I also had to laugh when you mentioned your first firings were because of jail. In the first few pages you mentioned all the applicants were jailbirds. It came full circle.

A couple comments and suggestions;

I'm sure it is already up, but don't go with a 70" tv in a place that small. 50" max. lol. I wouldn't want to create a sports bar atmosphere nor create a distraction, however my local McDonalds has several televisions hung on one wall that are just tuned to CNN, MSNBC, etc and when I eat lunch in there it is nice to see what is going on. No sound though as it would be very annoying, and only on one wall.

Make sure you have an ample supply of those steel gloves and just wear a latex glove over the top to keep it from getting dirty. One workers comp claim will set you back a bunch of cash, so make sure everyone is protected. I'm sure by now you already have a couple, but I would make sure every single person involved in the process wears one.

Running out of food is not a bad thing, and in fact creates demand for your product, as long as you maintain quality. I've been to pie shops that open one day a week and sell out in a couple hours. I've been to restaurants that have a special once a week and frequently sell out. Heck, we have a place in the city here called Hot Sauce Williams that smokes shoulder and I can't tell you how many times I've gone through there too late to get any. They make a certain amount and when it's gone it is GONE. The fact that I know it is fresh and not warmed gives me confidence in their quality. It also gives you a local business feel vs a chain restaurant feel. Freshness, freshness, freshness...

Eventually I would just establish lunch and dinner hours. On your website it shows you opening at 11 and then "until sold out". Just have two sets of hours. Lunch from 11 until 2:30 (that seems to be the time I see you run out, according to your posts) and then dinner from 5 until "our delicious smoked meat is sold out". I would even put a typical time window so someone doesn't show up at 8 expecting a meal only to find out that you normally don't have anything past 6:30.

On your answering machine, give a daily update if anything is new. It takes a minute to change a message and you can just take a moment to tell customers for the day that you are not taking orders over the phone. I've called places like this and they usually just say update for May 7th, we are once again extremely busy and won't be taking phone orders. It lends a nice touch and gives the impression that you aren't just ignoring the phone, and that you actually want to keep your customers informed.

Make a point to advertise that all your pork comes locally sourced, within 60 (or whatever distance) miles from your business. This gives a vision of quality and freshness to those people who are deciding between your product and another down the road. May not mean much now but more and more people want to buy local and this gives you an advantage down the road if business subsides. If the farm cannot supply you that day or week, just post a printed sign on the door stating that due to a shortage or whatever that you don't have your usual locally sourced meat.

I have a feeling that new pit will be used most every day. If not I can imagine you will just see lots of comments from people about how you have this big smoker that you aren't using and yet you run out of meat in only an hour and a half every day. Just burn some wood in it to give the illusion you are using it.

Definitely contact the church about parking and offer discounts or some catering in return. Also contact the city about placing a crosswalk and warning signs should you do so. No need making the crossing unsafe for your patrons and then getting dinged on reviews for it. (or even having the church cut you off because someone got hurt waking from their property) I originally thought about just a truckload of gravel to create some overflow parking but I am not sure where you would have the room based on the pictures I saw.

I noticed that you mentioned people wanting water and then getting soda. A place here will give you cups for water but they are smaller in size than their normal cups and easy to spot. Also glad you added tea to your counter. I could not imagine a place these days not selling some type of sweet tea, especially a BBQ joint where one imagines iced tea as going well with BBQ. (places around here literally advertise their sweet tea or raspberry sweet tea or whatever flavor, it is that popular.) The whole brewed fresh thing just adds to the look that everything you have is fresh daily.

I had so many more mental noted about the city process but whats done is done and I'm just glad you are open. I have heard of places suing the city over the slowness of approvals. Around me the mayor would have a lot of influence, especially if he was missing out on tax dollars.

Good luck and I can't wait to some day visit and buy a shirt. Hope you order them in large sizes.
Mikeinctown is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #1777
defence18
On the road to being a farker

I wasn't going to say anything about the TV but since it's still being brought up, I should note that I barely noticed it. It is only able to be comfortably seen by about 60% of the seats in the restaurant and in no way creates a "sports bar" feel. When we walked in Sunday, it had the final wrap up of the Hawks/Wild game. The comparison to McDonald's is apt; the TV is just there, with no sound. Now, can I imagine people staring intently at the Notre Dame game in October? Sure. But those are also the same guys that wouldn't go out to get Q bc they'd miss a snap. Anyone who has been to the Pig cannot seriously believe that it is a place where locals will come to watch a game as they would a sports bar.
defence18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #1778
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
This comment is disappointing coming from a fellow Texan.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #1779
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
For a home cook or competitor, I'd agree. But for a restaurant where he is already putting in 16 hour days, I would think a stick burner would be unrealistic...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #1780
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
Meh, I'm a charcoal-burning Texan and proud of it. I use the best tool for the job, and in his case the best tool isn't a stick burner.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #1781
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

I've got stick burners and charcoal/wood smokers. I use different ones depending on the time I have to put into the cook.
My point is that he is already busy and trying to up his capacity. By adding a stick burner, all I can see that doing is adding more things for him to take care of.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #1782
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Glad to hear you got another smoker. Master it and rule the world!

Jealous that you get to deduct it from taxes.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #1783
Stacks
On the road to being a farker

119 pages, 1782 posts, and I've been captivated (and completely useless for the past day and a half)
We are planning a motorcycle ride into Canada next month. I hope to make it to the South Bend area early enough to get dinner at the Pig (and a T-shirt).
I've also been told I need to open a BBQ joint. This thread has given me much to consider. Your trials and tribulations getting the store open and your huge success in doing so is an inspiration. I have no words of advice. Your product is top notch and your devotion to the customer is beyond reproach. It's obvious your business model is working.
Thank you for sharing your path to success. See you in June.
SAUCED HOG BBQ / KCBS CBJ #60733
Stacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #1784
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

As for the TV, I put together a slideshow with a group of my professional photos, put a caption and our logo on them so that people who may be waiting in line or for their food can see what else they might like. And it seems to be working because I've overheard some people watching it and talking about what they were going to order next time because it looked so good.

When not showing that I have an episode of BBQ pitmasters playing or if there is a local game of interest on.

It's been a crazy start to the week since we ran this new promotion with one of the local TV channels. It's like a groupon type offer, but they run it through their site and put together a commercial for it and everything. We had 200 tickets to sell and they sold out in less than 90 minutes. The guy who runs it said it was the fastest selling offer they've ever done. Because of that we've been flooded with new customers. Sold out by 7 last night and we've never done that on a wednesday before.

This warm weather is doing wonderful things for business.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #1785
The Smoking Pig
Knows what a fatty is.

Sounds like when you get that SF smoker, you may be using it everyday during the summer.
The Smoking Pig is offline   Reply With Quote