MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
RW
Full Fledged Farker

Default How do you clean your GrillGrates?

I'm thinking about buying GrillGrates for my new Jumbo Joe, but they look like a pain to keep clean.
What's your post-cook routine for your GrillGrates?
Thanks.
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
SchatzSea
On the road to being a farker

Grill brush, scrape the groves with the Grill Grate "finger" spatula, and then let them burn off. Easy. They're definitely worth having, I've got enough of them to use on my Summit gasser and the kettle. Grilled up some killer strip steaks on them last night !

Sent from my Incredible (2) Droid
[FONT=Magneto][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][B]En Fuego BBQ[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][INDENT][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray][I]The Swashbucklers of Swine...[/I][I]Raiders of Ribs...Buccaneers of Brisket...Pillagers [/I][I]of Poultry...Marauders of Mutton...it's the Dred Pirate SchatzSea and Qrew from the mythical Isla del Fuego![/I][/COLOR][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray]The Qrew -- Smokin’ Hot Wife, Two Smokin’ Little Monkeys, and Two Hot Digity Dogs[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

[I][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray]"Hello. My name is Inigo Pork-toya. You grilled my father. Prepare to fry."[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
[/INDENT]__________________
SchatzSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchatzSea View Post
Grill brush, scrape the groves with the Grill Grate "finger" spatula, and then let them burn off. Easy. They're definitely worth having, I've got enough of them to use on my Summit gasser and the kettle. Grilled up some killer strip steaks on them last night !

Sent from my Incredible (2) Droid
What i do is cover the grate with tin foil and get a real hot fire going the tin foil will keep the heat on the grate let it cook for 20 or thirty minuite . Take the foil off with tongs there will be nothing but dust . by the way the fire has to be HOT .
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

From the man himself!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TclyjBDTJYs
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Wetsmoke

Default My method for cleaning GrillGrates-

I stick them in the sink with hot water and a little Dawn and let them soak for a while, and then take a plastic scouring pad and scrub off the crusts. I also use the GrillGrate to get the valleys clean. Next time I use them, they are clean and work just fine. I normally have some oil on whatever meat I cook, so no sticking.
Wetsmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tx match and a ball of foil.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I've been burning off what I can then using an SOS pad.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
BBQMaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post

^Nice. I just got 2 sets in last week for my new PG500's to try but have not had time to try them yet. Glad you posted this. They look like they will be well worth the money.
BBQMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Depends who's looking. If it is a gig with a lot of looky-loos out comes the Purple Power and the pressure washer. At home grab another beer and forget about it.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
Smokaliscious
Got rid of the matchlight.

They're a much easier than cleaning the cast iron grates I had.
Smokaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
RW
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
Depends who's looking. If it is a gig with a lot of looky-loos out comes the Purple Power and the pressure washer. At home grab another beer and forget about it.
I like your style, captndan.
And thanks, all.
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

I don't really clean them all that much. wire brush and old spatula on the top. and the Grate tool in the channels.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

why clean 'em...they're just gonna get dirty again anyway