Down East Festival, Rocky Mount, NC Oct 10-11, 08

smoke-n-my-i's

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
It was my honor and privilege to be invited by another team, Screamin Nite Hog BBQ, to help them out. They had just came from Gastonia,NC a couple of weeks ago with a GC.

They (we) got a 6th place ribbon in pork, 3rd place trophy in brisket, 2nd place trophy in chicken, and since the teams were only from NC, and VA, they threw in at the "last minute", a battle between the states. We took it too. Then to top it off, GRAND CHAMPION as well..... What a high we were all on all the way home....

Our next event will be Shelby, NC in three weeks... can't wait....

We talked about the Royal and the chance at the Jack next year.... time will tell for sure....

Although this has been a bad year for me, and only and hometown ribfest and one comp for me, this was an all time high for me, even though I was only a "helper".

I told them that next year, he will have to compete against me at that comp. This one had to be the best organized and cooker friendly comp I myself have ever been to, and I heard a LOT of the other teams say the same thing. They treated us like royalty....

Bill

stop by in Shelby, Huhney Pa's Piglet....we are heading down from Cleveland, OH

Congratulations Bill and best of luck to you in Shelby!

Congrats Bill, and Screamin Nite Hog BBQ for an awesome showing!!!!
This weekend was my first time cooking at an event, and I don’t think I could have chosen a better venue for my first time out. The organization of the contest was first rate all the way. Power and water were perfect; the sites were well marked on a freshly mowed field. On Thursday night, the organizers even delivered strawberry ice cream for my entire group directly to the site. Ice was available the whole time, my trash can provided by the organizers never overflowed. Security kept an eye on everything all night long and the cook team luncheon was great. I can’t say enough nice things about the contest.
I wanted to thank everyone on this site for contributing. I spend months preparing for this first contest and reading everything people posted here. With what I was able to learn I received two calls this weekend, a 7th in pork and 1st in chicken. I didn’t expect to get a call in anything my first time out, so it was extra special to me. Thanks to everyone who supports this great forum!

-Nelson

Back