Comp trailer advice

indianagriller

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK, I am working on a lay out for a comp trailer from Extreme BBQ Trailers, I am going with a 16 ft trailer with a porch to house my smokers on the back. What other items would you add I am kind of drawing a blank I know i need sinks,a/c, and electricity, but i dont know what else i need to add in there. Anyone have any suggestions?

OK, I am working on a lay out for a comp trailer from Extreme BBQ Trailers, I am going with a 16 ft trailer with a porch to house my smokers on the back. What other items would you add I am kind of drawing a blank I know i need sinks,a/c, and electricity, but i dont know what else i need to add in there. Anyone have any suggestions?

Give me a shout if you have any questions. Upper cabinets are always handy for storage. And depending on whether or not you mount your smokers to the porch you may want to add a few more D rings in the floor to strap them down while in transit.

If you have any intentions of using this for vending, talk to your local Health Department and get their requirements prior to building.

Biggest question I would have for you is if you intend to sleep in the trailer, and if so, really consider what you'll need for space in order to do so. Summer comps can be brutually hot and glad that my teammate and I are able to sleep in ours (7 x 16 w/o porch) in the A/C. We use two zero gravity chairs, but admittedly, we sleep in the space where the smokers themselves sit (two Superior Gravity feeds). If we had a porch, there'd be no way we'd be able to sleep in there with given, as a fair amount of space is taken up by cabinet space and the fridge we've put in it (26" x 26" Danby Fridge). If you can build in foldable bunks against the back or side wall, you'd be set as you'd still have room w/o sacrificing too much.

Other small considerations - a couple windows to get a cross draft when its not too hot, upper cabinets, any e-track / tie down points where you'll be hauling items such as chairs, tents, tables, etc. Put a GFI plugin on the outside of your trailer, both in the back at the smokers but also in a side where you might have a tent / outdoor entertaining.

A usable small water closet in the V-nose front so you don't have to use the dumpy loo's! A small black tank should handle the septic just fine. Also an outside shower attachment like on a camper, also a through the wall electrical connection for "shore power". Fold up beds, to move out of the way during day use.

Vending window
Air conditioning
electricity
interior lights
plumbing, fresh/grey water tanks
Fridge
finished flooring

Give me a shout if you have any questions. Upper cabinets are always handy for storage. And depending on whether or not you mount your smokers to the porch you may want to add a few more D rings in the floor to strap them down while in transit.

Lol, shouldn't you guys already be talking? :becky:

I would put lights, both regular and spot, on the porch and all the other items people have menthioned.

Bubba, i am just looking for ideas on what other teams have in their set up that would be useful and some not so useful things i can leave out to either save money or space. I have a few ideas sketched up just tryng to brain storm with others.

JT
the Girl's are designing a trailer themselves, they have a awning area so they can annoy their neighbors at comps,,hahaha

How about...
Water heater
Microwave (not for the comp meat..just for that sausage McMuffin)
Built-in Radio
Fridge...maybe a small freezer
Bathroom??? (I'm dreaming now)
Spare tire carrier (Don't have one on my trailer and REALLY wish I did)

I would put lights, both regular and spot, on the porch and all the other items people have menthioned.

put in dimmer switches!! Much better late at night when you don't need ALL the light:becky:

Hey JT - when did you hit the lottery!!!???!!! Good luck with the project. Are you getting the base trailer from extreme then building it out? Since I design/build things for a living, Marc and I this winter are looking at taking a flat bed trailer and building on to it to our exact specifications. Looking at the porch idea as well for the smokers and would just use our 10x10's for awnings. I've started messing with some ideas as well. Master planning mods for future vending HD requirements but for a comp trailer planning prep, storage and sleeping with a/c. sleeping is a biggy - looking at 2 fold down bunks that are out of the way when not in use.

I have a 16ft comp trailer with a 6ft porch. It's 8.5 ft wide. Inside the enclosed section I have 2 bunks and a refrigerator on one side. I have a 6ft cabinet and prep area on the other side. I have a bathroom with just a toilet and 32" shower also. My sink is on the porch. PM me your email and I'll send you some the layout.

Back