Pits... to scrape clean or let build up

YokeUp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
ok, here's the question, do you scrape the inside of your pits to remove the "seasoning" or do you just let it build up and add unique flavor to the meat? I've heard both sides, never scrape and clean it up so you don't get the creosote bitterness.... What say you?:clap2:

I clean out my pit every couple of years whether it need it or not! I haven't noticed any difference, I take a wire brush on a right angle grinder to get it out. It still leaves some of the built up smoke,grease,oil for seasoning. But it is one dirty,dirty,dirty job!

once a year and only just get the heavy stuff out. I have modified offset Royal Oak model. I put foil on bottom of unit to catch most of heavy thick grease. this I replace every 4th or 5th use.

In my opinion it's not "seasoning" or flavor. It's old stale grease. My pit gets cleaned twice a year. The only way it's going to add flavor in a smoker is if some of the old grease falls on your food.

That's my opinion...your mileage may vary.

I clean mine after every use. I scrape it down, rinse it out, dry it, and re-coat with spray oil.:crazy:

Sometimes the clean up takes as long cookin' babybacks but I've got so much invested in the unit, I want to do my part to make it last.

I clean about every 3 months; I agree with BBQ Grail it is just nasty old grease and needs to go.

I use my pit all year round, I guess I only clean it when it really looks built up. But for the most part I give it a good burn [ heigh heat ] and most of the grease melts and is drained off

Never gone through and cleaned the whole thing but i go in every now and then to scrape away some of the built up stuff. I let the fire do all the hard work.

IMHO, you get flavor from the smoke and rub. Therefore, I scrape the grates and knock off any flakes before or after the cook. A pit free of other cook residuals is a happy pit! :-D

For clarification (long time since the last post in Q-talk, and I know how it can go in here - you guys are tougher than Comp :becky:) - I'm not saying to use a degreaser and powerwasher. I'm talking about a grill brush to knock off the old, and bring back a clean surface. A little veggie oil during precook is a good friend.

WSM's, i wire brush the grates heavily before every cook, scrape down the insides when i see flaking buildup, and wash and polish the exterior about 4 times a year.

a clean oven is a good oven.

I clean mine once a year. I scrape out the heavy build up with a plastic paint scraper and then take it to the carwash for a high pressure wash. I re oil it and it is ready to roll!

I will only clean out the lid if it is going to drop cr*p on what I am cooking. I love the patina that a UDS develops over time. Smells great too.

I have 2 pits. My MES 30 i have only had since december i haven't don't any real internal cleaning. My grates, wood box, water pan and drip tray i clean real well and throw in the dish washer. I also wipe down the outside of it so it doesn't get nasty. I have scraped some of the drippings out of the bottom some times, however since it is electric i am not sure how to really clean the inside of it. The manual says not to.

My NBBD that i bought used the first think i did was pull all the grates out and soaked them ( it looked like they had never cleaned the thing) Then i put it on the side with all the doors open and took the powerwasher to it and scraped the inside. The grates I spent 4 hours cleaning and scraping before i put in the dishwasher. ( now i wish i would have broke down and bought new ones but i didn't know for sure if i was going to like this one. But i do clean everthing in the dishwasher that i can after each use.

Once a year I scrap off the big stuff and then heat it up and spray water in it....pretty much steam cleans it

i leave the grease inside my cooker, and sometimes i rub my self with that grease and do a happy lap around the yard.

My pits tend to stay "clean". I don't like buildup. That probably stems from my youth and growing up with direct fired pits. You get buildup in those things and you're going to have a blazing fire under your meat...you may even burn down a structure if you're in the wrong place. When I cooked on my Ole Hickory day in & day out I cleaned it at least once a week.

I don't like "dirty".

Seasoning does way less than alot of people would like you to believe. Traditional bbq in North Carolina was cooked over a hole dug in the ground. There was no seasoning except for dirt. Came out great every time.

Once a year I scrap off the big stuff and then heat it up and spray water in it....pretty much steam cleans it

I do the same thing but twice a year. The water helps clean it up.

Twice a year or when I did feeesh! Now I have a kettle just for feeesh.

i burn out my eggs every once in a blue moon. probably twice a year.

Back