Rib smoker/cooker

I love the process of cooking ribs on the offset, but since I got my 22.5 WSM I am becoming lazy and usually do them on it. Depends on how many racks I need to do. For Easter I am probably doing four racks on the offset along with a couple of spatched chickens and some sausage, while the WSM handles the brisket.

Lately Ive made some of the best ribs Ive ever made on my Akorn and I really enjoy using that grill. That being said you cant fit very many on it so its not good for large gatherings.

Interesting that this question was asked – I have been thinking about this lately.

75% of my cooks are on my Tucker Cooker and I love everything about it – I have been learning my BWS Party and I love it too. My number 1 rib fan and sample tester is my youngest daughter who can put away some ribs – she is in charge of all rib tests and BBQ places to check out.
She said the best ribs she has ever eaten was the one rack I did on my gas grill last year – I did not have enough room on my Tucker so I did it on my 3 burner gas grill with 2 burners off and a water pan over the lit one. I put one hunk of cherry wood over the heat shield.
Go figure.

If i'm doing 1 or 2 racks, I use my mini. If I'm doing 3-4 racks i'm using my kettle

Coz tells me that my Brinkman Cimmaron off-set is a "Rib machine", but I really like the way spares come off of my WSMs. Been a while since I cooked on my offset though, need to try it again soon.

Competitions I use the Pitmaker vault. Around the house I love to use the PBC. Its just so cute and different.

I have a beautiful 24 quart stock pot that boils great!

*DOH*

I've produced wonderful ribs on many smokers and some of very different types. Knowing the cook surface temperature and understanding how each one delivers smoke was key. I didnt find one any better than the other.

I have cooked ribs on WSMs, Backwoods, Klose backyard chef and a cheap Brinkman offset from home depot. While the Backwoods is my current favorite among the smokers that I have, my favorite was the cheap offset from Home depot (I no longer have that smoker). The ribs were the prettiest and tastiest. I realize the cook has a lot to do with it, so maybe that was the cooker that fit my style the best for ribs. Regards

When I was a kid I used to work in a machine shop. The owner used to make kettle "extensions" so he could fit 30+ lb. turkeys on his webers. I took his design, made it a little taller to fit 2 grates and created a middle section for a homemade 22 1/2 inch WSM. My dad and I have made 4 of these middle sections. I cook eight racks at a time on mine. Lots of fun! I even put mine on an old 3 vent curbside rescue weber kettle.

The way metal prices are now, one might just want to consider the Cajun Bandit kettle conversion kit and be done with it. I think metal prices are at least 4 times higher than when dad and I built ours.

UDS if I'm doing a smaller smoke.
Offset if I'm doing a larger smoke.
Weber if I'm doing burgers or wings.
Chicken Cooker... (You know)

Gas grill if I'm desperate. :blah:

I usually just do them on the uds. If its 3 racks or less. And the main reason is because when people see the cooker they look at me like I'm some type of water head redneck. But then they taste the ribs and their eyes light up.
ju2uge7y.jpg

Back