MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Did you add a beef broth in the foil?
I've done my first 2 briskets in as many weeks, so I'm by NO MEANS any kind of expert, but I was advised to do this very thing and both of mine came out NOT dry, but very moist.

I love brisket now.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #17
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I gotta agree that 14 hours is a bit much for a 10# brisket. Not sure why your therm only read 183*. Also since I started using choice briskets, they've been very moist and tender than no-grade briskets. They are worth hunting down.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #18
Oldschoolbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default Patience.......................................... .;}-

I keep preaching patience for a while.Most of us have multiple smokers or grills, so put that brisket into the smoker and leave it SHUT! The heat and pressure will push the moisture in ,left closed you don't lose these;you are recycling moisture if you keep you trap shut! The look-sees waste all that lovely heat and moisture along with the pressure.
I agree with Funky,S/CBP is all you need,the flavor will be there,but you gotta be patient and vigil on keeping you temps. low. I would rather smoke a Brisket at 180*F chamber temp. ,real low for the first few hours then go to 220*F to get a good bark during the last 3-4hrs.
When I take a Brisket out of the smoker,I can use the side of my hand to remove the Point,no knife, then I can remove the fat as easy as rubbing it off the meat.
It's a little tricky to keep "Flo" at 180*,but it is every bit worth the trouble.

I keep a small but hot fire in her and control by adjusting the Inlet-

Hope this helps and,

Old 08-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #19
sharks_guy
Knows what a fatty is.

Hi,
To me, moist and tender is more important than bark, so I do the following:
Season full packer well before the cook
Cook to 165-170 internal
Separate flat from point, reseason point and return to cooker
Foil flat, and add marinade. If you are looking for a marinade, Ricks sinful marinade is a good place to start
Around 190 internal on the flat start to check for tenderness. Pull it when it is tender(Have pulled as high as 207)
I have cooked points to about 205-210. I do not like burnt ends that have that rubbery texture, and the only way I have found to get rid of it is just keep cooking.

My brisket became much more tender and juicy when I added fat to the foil process(i.e. Ricks Sinful Marinade instead of just seasoned broth). I am still learning too, but give it a try. It is working for me.

Dan D.
Mazda 3 Hatchback, Copper Red
[COLOR=lime](2) Green Thermapens[/COLOR]
KCBS CBJ#54284
[URL]http://www.facebook.com/DanDBBQ/[/URL]

[URL]http://operationbbqrelief.org[/URL]
sharks_guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
lionhrt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder Mike View Post
Hey MasterGator,

I am just a few briskets in but I found that you need to check the flat's marbling closely on each brisket as you buy them. I produced a few dry ones as well until I realized this important fact. The more fat marbling in the flat, I found, produced moister pieces. I also tried injecting but it didn't prevent dryness for me.

Just my early observations,

GPM
I think you hit it on this one I did a brisket this week and it had very little marbling it was good and tender but a little dry not bad but not as good as other briskets I have donel

Old 08-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #21
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

If I read your original post correct you wrapped when you went to hold it. If thats the cse you might try wrapping in the cooking process this will help hold the moisture inside before it is dry.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #22
MasterGator
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I like the idea of separating the point from the flat to help breakdown the fat some more. I will also try foiling at 160F with some sort of liquid. BTW I am not a peeker. Look'n ain't Cook'n
MasterGator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #23
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

There is a lot of good advice here - and not everyone is on the same page, but that's normal here :) One thing that I can advise above what has been said before is to experiment a bit and find out what works in your smoker. I'm becoming a big fan of hot and fast brisket cooking, but those require a lot more trimming. I'm not a foil-man, but have had to on occasion, depending on how the meat's cooking. Also, remember every piece of meat is different, but you'll soon learn when to start watching them closely (by feel, not temp) - and remember, too, that it's done when it is done, not when the thermometer says so. One thing about it, learning to cook brisket is a tasty process :)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote