Newb question

Baboontyme

Reaction score
Hi All,

Brand spankin' new member here. I look forward to learning lots from you guys.

I have been smoking for a few years and I think I'm finally getting the hang of things, but I am still a huge work in progress.

One extremely basic question that I have involves charcoal. I have an 18" upright W and I am finally getting good at regulating temps, wood types, etc.

My question is how do I keep the charcoal from putting off so much smoke when I add it to the fire? I want my ribs to have flavor from the wood smoke, not the charcoal smoke. It seems to settle down after awhile, so I've learned that if I use my charcoal starter and get the coals going in there for about 20-30 min and then dump them into my smoker, that effect will be minimalized (is that even a word?). However, when I need to add new coals a couple of hours later to keep the temp up, the new coals start smoking again.

The charcoal smoke is overpowering the wood smoke.

Any help? I've got a guys only trip to the cottage this weekend and I plan to make 3 racks of baby backs as well as my first Boston Butt....I don't want to suffocate people with charcoal flavor. Thanks!

First, make sure you're using lump charcoal, not briquettes. Next, get your charcoal going in the chimney every time you add it, not just the first. Unlit charcoal added to a fire will smoke for a while. Also, make sure you're keeping your charcoal in a dry place. Charcoal will absorb moisture from the air, and damp charcoal takes longer to ignite and smokes alot more than dry. Hope this helps...

First, make sure you're using lump charcoal, not briquettes. Next, get your charcoal going in the chimney every time you add it, not just the first. Unlit charcoal added to a fire will smoke for a while. Also, make sure you're keeping your charcoal in a dry place. Charcoal will absorb moisture from the air, and damp charcoal takes longer to ignite and smokes alot more than dry. Hope this helps...

That sounds like good advice to me. I had a problem with smoke from damp charcoal and did not like the results.

Keep your powder dry.:becky:

Thank you, this does help. Couple of follow ups.

1. Why lump vs. briquettes? Typically I just use the standard Kingston briquettes. No good?

2. Where can I get lump?

3. How do I add the next round of lit coals to the smoker after I get them going? I see the thread about it a few spots down....I've actually tried to add the hot coals from the chimney but there's no way you can "pour" them from the chimney onto the smoker without taking the entire barrel off of the Weber. One at a time with tongs?

Thanks again.

Mister Bob is on the money. Please go over to Cattle Call and give us bit of info about you.

If you use a good quality lump charcoal, you should not have to refuel the WSM during the four to six hours it generally takes to finish baby backs. I plan on 14 to 16 hours (or more) for the Boston Butts, so that usually involves one good refuel partway through. Best of luck!!

Thank you, this does help. Couple of follow ups.

1. Why lump vs. briquettes? Typically I just use the standard Kingston briquettes. No good?

2. Where can I get lump?

3. How do I add the next round of lit coals to the smoker after I get them going? I see the thread about it a few spots down....I've actually tried to add the hot coals from the chimney but there's no way you can "pour" them from the chimney onto the smoker without taking the entire barrel off of the Weber. One at a time with tongs?

Thanks again.

I don't even buy K anymore. Used to save it for hamburgers and hot dogs. The manufacturing process adds a lot of stuff that needs to be burned off before use. Lump is a more pure fuel, creates less ash and a better flavor.

Go to your local hardware store and find an ash shovel. They are made for cleaning out fireplaces and are about 4-5 inches wide and 18 inches long or so. Fits perfectly through the door on the WSM for refueling.

I would think if you used the minion method you could probably go 13-14 hours @ 250* and not have to worry about reloading.

*Edit: That's with briquettes and wood chunks not lump*

I don't even buy K anymore. Used to save it for hamburgers and hot dogs. The manufacturing process adds a lot of stuff that needs to be burned off before use. Lump is a more pure fuel, creates less ash and a better flavor.

Go to your local hardware store and find an ash shovel. They are made for cleaning out fireplaces and are about 4-5 inches wide and 18 inches long or so. Fits perfectly through the door on the WSM for refueling.

:thumb: Thank you, PC Doc.

14-16 hours? Daayum! I was planning on 8-10 hrs. My BB is about 7 lbs. Do I need to recalculate?

I have an 18" upright W

What type of smoker is a W? Do you mean WSM? If you use the Minion Method one the WSM you shouldn't have to refuel if you are cooking at 275 or below. If you are running higher then you may need to refuel. I've run my 18.5" WSM for 26 hours at 240 dome temp on one load of Rancher briquettes.

Look through this post that i did a while back on the Minion Method and fire control in a WSM...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=948954&postcount=10

Is a W isn't a WSM, please ignore this :-D

What type of smoker is a W? Do you mean WSM? If you use the Minion Method one the WSM you shouldn't have to refuel if you are cooking at 275 or below. If you are running higher then you may need to refuel. I've run my 18.5" WSM for 26 hours at 240 dome temp on one load of Rancher briquettes.

Look through this post that i did a while back on the Minion Method and fire control in a WSM...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=948954&postcount=10

Is a W isn't a WSM, please ignore this :-D

Yup, it is a WSM 18.5". I wasn't sure if I could post the manufacturer name here or not and hadn't quite picked up on the WSM acronym yet.

Thanks for the tips.

I actually just got back from Lowe's where I picked up a small shovel and some lump charcoal. I plan on getting the heat somewhere around 225. I take it from the post above that the minion method is NOT for lump charcoal and is for briquettes only? Anything else I should know about trying to hold steady at those temps with lump?

BTW thanks to all for the tips on the "minion method". I did a search on the site and a brief bit of reading and it answered a lot of questions.

As an aside, it's nice posting on a forum as a newb and not getting blasted with "Search function!" and other smart-a$$ retorts.

The minion method works equally well with lump or briquettes. Lump burns hotter than briquettes, so you may need less lit lump to maintain 225 degrees. I use briquettes in my WSMs because I am able to get longer burn times with them, but I prefer lump when grilling because of the hotter fire or in my Big Green Eggs because the produce less ash.

If you are going to use lump in the WSM, on tip is to by an extra charcoal grate and set it on top of the stock one with the bars running perpendicular to the first. Lump typically has smaller chunks in it that can fall through the opening in the charcoal grate so having two with the ords crossing reduces the size of the openings and allows fewer pieces to fall through.

Oh... a couple of other things...

1. Don't get hung up on 225. Every cooker has a temperature that it prefers. One of my WSMs will cruise all day at 240 and the other wants to settle at 260. Find the temp where yours is comfortable and let it ride!

2. Figure 90 minutes per pound for the butt. If it is done early you can wrap it in foil and put it into a dry cooler (preheated with hot water) and stuff the cooler with towels or newspaper and it will hold for hours. I try to hold my briskets and butts for a couple of hours if I can. The hold time lets the juices recirculate and gets more flavor into the middle of the meat. You can also add some liquid to the foil (apple juice is good for pork) to add moisture and flavor. Any liquid left in the foil later can be added to the pulled pork.

Ron, do you ever mod yourself? :becky:

No. That would be wrong. It would be Modterbation...
:shocked: :heh: :crazy: :tape:

I know... I know...

Penalty box...

BTW, Jim... I mod myself a lot. You should see some of the stuff that is left on the cutting room floor! :wink:

Back