Frog legs

Jiggs

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I there's this local grocery store near me - just a small, locally owned store that has a great meat department. I stopped by on my way home from work and saw some really nice looking frog legs. I've had frog legs, but it's been probably 15 years ago.

I'm thinking about picking some up, but need some suggestions on seasoning and cooking them.

Should I just cook them indirect on my chargriller or put 'em in the UDS? What temp do you cook frog legs to?

On a side note, they had some nice looking tri-tips in their case for 5.99 a pound. Is that a good price? I've never done a tri-tip either and that is also on my "to try" list.

Thanks for the help.

I've had em a few times and it was a simple recipe. There was a buttermilk soak,(hours prior to) then a seasoned flour dredge,(no batter, just a toss in the flour) and into hot oil for a quick fry. Then tossed in hot sauce like chicken wangs.....(tastes like chicken). Place here served em with a bold beer and few bleu cheese chunks.
Dang good.

On a side note, they had some nice looking tri-tips in their case for 5.99 a pound. Is that a good price? I've never done a tri-tip either and that is also on my "to try" list.

Thanks for the help.

You got some good feedback on the frogs legs, now go get that tri-tip. One of the best cuts 'o beef there is...

Smoke 'em all the time.
froglegs.jpg

Thanks guys...looks like I'll be picking up some frog legs and a
tri-tip this evening. Should be some good eatin this weekend.

i'm interested i this thread. i have about three pounds of these things i just froze that i'm looking for some way to cook.

i'm interested i this thread. i have about three pounds of these things i just froze that i'm looking for some way to cook.
My thought would be rub with some olive or canola oil, sprinkle a little Plowboys Yardbird on 'em cook 'em like you would wings on the grill. I think they'll cook faster than chicken thighs, but probably not as fast as chicken wings.

Not the best price I've seen for tri-tip. If it's not readily available in your area though, I'd snatch it up. We try not to pay much more than $3 per lb, but every store around us carries it.

Matt

Dang - that looks great.
According to the clock - looks like it took a little over 3 hours to cook at 225*.
Is that correct?

No they sat for a little while before putting them on with the fatties. about 2 hours what you want is the bacon done and I put them on the hotter end of the Lang.

Dang - that looks great.
According to the clock - looks like it took a little over 3 hours to cook at 225*.
Is that correct?

I'll second the vote for "looks great". I've got to give that recipe a try.

I'm used to cooking them like BobBrisket, except that I'd saute garlic and shallots in butter in the same pan, throw in some fresh chopped parsley and a ladle of chicken stock to stop the browning, then return the legs to the pan and toss the whole thing until they were good and covered in butter. Serve the legs on toast points to soak the butter up.

Back