Recalls - Tainted Food Enhancer

So far nothing I buy, I wonder how many other products will be identified?

Thanks for the heads up Arlin

That's interesting. I bet finding tainted products is like spear fishing in the gulf of Mexico. I wonder how much we ingest that they don't catch.

The sneaky way to MSG....

Hydrolyzed Protein is protein that has been hydrolyzed or broken down into its component amino acids. While there are many means of achieving this, two of the most common are prolonged boiling in a strong acid (acid-HVP) or strong base or using an enzyme such as the pancreatic protease enzyme to stimulate the naturally-occurring hydrolytic process.

According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, hydrolyzed protein is used to enhance flavor. The chemical breakdown of proteins may result in the formation of free glutamate that joins with free sodium to form monosodium glutamate (MSG). When added this way, the labels are not required to list MSG as an ingredient.

The sneaky way to MSG....

Hydrolyzed Protein is protein that has been hydrolyzed or broken down into its component amino acids. While there are many means of achieving this, two of the most common are prolonged boiling in a strong acid (acid-HVP) or strong base or using an enzyme such as the pancreatic protease enzyme to stimulate the naturally-occurring hydrolytic process.

According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, hydrolyzed protein is used to enhance flavor. The chemical breakdown of proteins may result in the formation of free glutamate that joins with free sodium to form monosodium glutamate (MSG). When added this way, the labels are not required to list MSG as an ingredient.

I would have just inserted the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolyzed_protein Or put quotes...:mrgreen:

NOOOOO! Not my BBQ braised tofu!!!

Sorry, I know this could be a serious issue, but I couldn't resist...penalty box bound, head hanging low, smirking all the way.

We got a recorded phone message from QFC since we are "valued customers" alerting us to a brand of potato chips that is affected by a recall. Not sure if they had HVP or not?

When BBQ (all meats) tastes SO great without food enhancers, I wonder why ANYONE would put anything on their meat except a good rub made from pure spices and herbs. OK, I know some people will claim MSG occurs naturally,but, NOT in the quantity as someone adding it as a method of getting away with learning how to get a great finished product without it.

Don't make sense to me. Now let's get some Chit going here, too!!!!

Does anyone recognize these brands?

Just wondering if this was concentrated in one geographical area.

I beleive I have heard of Marzetti, but not a single other name is recognizable to me.

Just wondering.

Is it just me or do some guys just want to argue over anything.

Arlin posts about a food recall and guys want to start the old MSG fight again. Maybe start a fighting forum where they can hang.

Does anyone recognize these brands?

Just wondering if this was concentrated in one geographical area.

I beleive I have heard of Marzetti, but not a single other name is recognizable to me.

Just wondering.

Bill I was wondering the same thing, I know Marzetti's but none of the others!
And Ray, me thinks cabin fever has done set into them boys, just wantin' to kick and scream at each other all the time.

Arlin, Thanks for posting this information! ....

Is it just me or do some guys just want to argue over anything.

Arlin posts about a food recall and guys want to start the old MSG fight again. Maybe start a fighting forum where they can hang.

That would be me Dr. Just trying to have some fun. You sometimes take this BBQ stuff waaaayyyy TOO seriously!!! I certainly do get under your skin. Fun!!!

Love Ya, Man
ed

Back