How to make LUMP charcoal

Kickback BBQ on Guam

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I keep hearing about using lump charcoal on here. Is there really a benefit over Briquettes? I realize that lump woul be more pure and natural (if you made it yourself).
Lump is not offered here anywhere, can it be made and is is worth it?

Lump burns hotter but also quicker. Some brands spark and pop alot but to me it adds alot more smokyness than briquettes. If you like nice even fires you will probably like briquettes more but it is not impossible to control a lump charcoal fire im sure it just takes practice. Others can chime in more I'm sure. I like it more for grilling than low and slow.

Lump burns hotter but also quicker. Some brands spark and pop alot but to me it adds alot more smokyness than briquettes. If you like nice even fires you will probably like briquettes more but it is not impossible to control a lump charcoal fire im sure it just takes practice. Others can chime in more I'm sure. I like it more for grilling than low and slow.
I'm not sure about the smokyness part. I thought with natural (homemade) lump when the gasses were all burnt off, so would the food flavor. Don't know, just asking a question. My big offset would progagly love some lump if it burns hotter than briquettes.
Any and all other information will be appreciated.

you can burn lump-home lump or even green wood in your offset provided enough fresh airflow/draft...depending on wood type..

I'm not sure about the smokyness part. I thought with natural (homemade) lump when the gasses were all burnt off, so would the food flavor. Don't know, just asking a question. My big offset would progagly love some lump if it burns hotter than briquettes.
Any and all other information will be appreciated.

I like to use mesquite lump and I can smell the mesquite aroma when cooking. It's subtle but its there and that is more than you get from regular k. It's not a powerful smokiness but subtle and sweet like me...jk
At our ranch we have a big pit not as big as the one in your picture but similar and we use mequite lump and it seems to burn so much better than briquettes did in it. That or we use just regular wood. Make a small batch it sure doesn't hurt to try it out.

I like to use mesquite lump and I can smell the mesquite aroma when cooking. It's subtle but its there and that is more than you get from regular k. It's not a powerful smokiness but subtle and sweet like me...jk
At our ranch we have a big pit not as big as the one in your picture but similar and we use mequite lump and it seems to burn so much better than briquettes did in it. That or we use just regular wood. Make a small batch it sure doesn't hurt to try it out.
With our climate wood doesn't last very long (rot/ termites/ moss). I just had a friend deliver (YES FREE AND DELIVERED) two cords of split and seasoned wood with another two cords available. I know that it will go to waste if I don't do something with it in a reasonable amount of time. I just figured this might be the best way to preserve it and if it sames me money in charcoal thats cool too.

I really like it for grilling cause you can just get so much heat from it gets a real nice sear, I also use it to mix in with Briquettes so I can get more flavor. I like lump but haven't had the nads to go to a full load of it for smoking cause it burns pretty fast. But if you can make a mess of it I'd say do it.

You wouldn't happen to have some Fiesta plate Pron would you? Or Maybe some beef Keleguin? I haven't been out there since '05. I love the food on Guam.

I really like it for grilling cause you can just get so much heat from it gets a real nice sear, I also use it to mix in with Briquettes so I can get more flavor. I like lump but haven't had the nads to go to a full load of it for smoking cause it burns pretty fast. But if you can make a mess of it I'd say do it.

You wouldn't happen to have some Fiesta plate Pron would you? Or Maybe some beef Keleguin? I haven't been out there since '05. I love the food on Guam.
Last weekend was Talafofo Fiesta:biggrin:. That's the best Fiesta of them all I think (Merizo is close). I'm cooking for a party of about 200 in a couple of weeks, I'll post pictures of all the chow. Most people would kringe at the thought of eating spicy, cold, lemonie, raw meat. We LOVE it!!

Last weekend was Talafofo Fiesta:biggrin:. That's the best Fiesta of them all I think (Merizo is close). I'm cooking for a party of about 200 in a couple of weeks, I'll post pictures of all the chow. Most people would kringe at the thought of eating spicy, cold, lemonie, raw meat. We LOVE it!!

Dude Keleguin is one of the jewels of the Pacific. I've thought about trying to make it. Gimme like 3 kinds a big azz scoop of red rice and a slab of ribs. mmmmmmm Guam.

Dude Keleguin is one of the jewels of the Pacific. I've thought about trying to make it. Gimme like 3 kinds a big azz scoop of red rice and a slab of ribs. mmmmmmm Guam.
That's why we're all over weight here. That's the best part about keleguin is how simple it is to make. Key ingredients peppers and lemon juice and more peppers):icon_devil

That's why we're all over weight here. That's the best part about keleguin is how simple it is to make. Key ingredients peppers and lemon juice and more peppers):icon_devil

That's why you got cold beer keep up with the spice!

Maybe I'll try to make it, I googled red rice a few years ago. Made that and it was pretty good at home. Maybe I'll make me some ribs , chicken legs, red rice, chicken, beef and fish keleguin all at once some time. Maybe if we get another hot day, it would feel weird eating that meal in 70 degree weather.

Maybe Spam in the smoker too?

That's why you got cold beer keep up with the spice!

Maybe I'll try to make it, I googled red rice a few years ago. Made that and it was pretty good at home. Maybe I'll make me some ribs , chicken legs, red rice, chicken, beef and fish keleguin all at once some time. Maybe if we get another hot day, it would feel weird eating that meal in 70 degree weather.

Maybe Spam in the smoker too?
Spam does work well on a smoker for chaser'

I keep hearing about using lump charcoal on here. Is there really a benefit over Briquettes? I realize that lump woul be more pure and natural (if you made it yourself).
Lump is not offered here anywhere, can it be made and is is worth it?

Take a steel pan of whatever size you can find that's dirt cheap, like 25 cents. Fill it with hardwood chunks. Foil it securely. Put it over a propane burner until it stops smoking (maybe 45 minutes). Pull off the foil and instantly dump it into a metal bucket or pot with a close-fitting lid. Put on the lid and let cool. Do that twice with a 9x13" cake pan and you will have about seven pounds of homemade lump. I know because that's how I smoke with my NBBD which I've converted to a gasser.

The homemade lump works great for grilling, have never tried smoking with it 'cuz I don't do much smoking with charcoal of any kind.

seattlepitboss

Take a steel pan of whatever size you can find that's dirt cheap, like 25 cents. Fill it with hardwood chunks. Foil it securely. Put it over a propane burner until it stops smoking (maybe 45 minutes). Pull off the foil and instantly dump it into a metal bucket or pot with a close-fitting lid. Put on the lid and let cool. Do that twice with a 9x13" cake pan and you will have about seven pounds of homemade lump. I know because that's how I smoke with my NBBD which I've converted to a gasser.

The homemade lump works great for grilling, have never tried smoking with it 'cuz I don't do much smoking with charcoal of any kind.

seattlepitboss
When does the out gassing happen. From what I understand from the research I've done. The converting to lump requires that the gases be burnt off, is that correct?

When does the out gassing happen. From what I understand from the research I've done. The converting to lump requires that the gases be burnt off, is that correct?

In the method I described, the outgassing happens when you heat the wood in the steel pan over the propane burner. I forgot to say I poke several teeny holes in the foil to let the smoke out. At any rate, for about 45 minutes you will get fragrant hardwood smoke and then the smoke will taper off and that's when your lump is done.

seattlepitboss

Thanks, i'll give this a try as it seems alot less complicated than some of the designs that I've seen. Can the wood be stacked in the tray or single layer only?

Back