MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #31
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Drinker View Post
I have a question on the BBQ sauce it can be any sauce you like right? or does it have to be a real sugary one? say I want to try some of this in it? the hot one packs some kick but its a vinegar based sauce.

I'd go with whatever sauce you like. You won't find BBQ sauce listed in most recipes you will find in books, but when you try any of the Brunswick served at BBQ restaurants, it will definitely be there. Some places (such as Williamson Brothers here in Marietta, Georgia) put in way too much sauce for my liking.
If your sauce has a ton of vinegar, you might want to just start with 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce and then taste after a couple of hours. Or you might want to just skip adding the cider vinegar and use more sauce. I added the vinegar to my recipe to counter the sweetness from the BBQ sauce, but if your sauce is high in vinegar you might not need it.
It's always wise to start on the low end, taste after a couple of hours, then add accordingly. Once you have too much vinegar you are pretty much screwed at that point, and everybody has different tolerances for the taste of vinegar. What I might consider the perfect amount of vinegar, someone else might find appalling.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #32
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

The one my wife makes has bbq sauce she uses Kraft or open pit or whatever other sauce she has a coupon for. That Uncle Bobs when I say vinegar based, it ain't pure vinegar like a pulled pork sauce. But it's got enough where you don't have to refrigerate. I know the dudes nephew they say it's cause they invented it before they had refrigerators. Plus it's pretty peppery so I think I'll skip the cayenne and reduce the hot sauce.
18" Weber OTS aka #1, Smokey Joe gold, 18" WSM, dirt late model
Beast Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #33
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Dang, I'd hit a big ole bowl of that any day!! It's now on my official "Must Try" list. Nicely done.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #34
jaybirdiscrafty
Found some matches.

I just made this today. THanks so much Saiko for sharing this delicious recipe.
jaybirdiscrafty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #35
jdub
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Saiko, because of you...

there's probably about a hundred more gallons of stew on the planet than normal, (this internet thing just cracks me up) here's mine. Chicken and rib trimmings from yesterday:

10.18 ribs (9).JPG

10.18 ribs (5).JPG

10.18 ribs.JPG

Old 10-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #36
nolesfan954
On the road to being a farker

I tried your recipe yesterday and loved it! Made a big ole pot with some pulled pork, rib meat, and smoked turkey. The only thing I did differently was to add a couple of potatoes I had sitting around. It made a big enough batch that I could bring in several containers to pass around to some co-workers. Thanks for sharing the recipe, it is by far the best Brunswick stew I've ever had!
nolesfan954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #37
augie
is one Smokin' Farker

I finally got around to making this yesterday. I already had something else planned for dinner, but I smoked a batch of chicken thighs first thing in the morning, and by early afternoon had everything simmering in the crock pot. It was after 9:00PM by the time it had had its six hours post melted butter, so I only had a small taste while I was cooling it to go in the fridge.

Very tasty, and as you said, the smell during the day while it cooked was awesome! The next couple of days we're expected to have more "normal" Florida temps, but another cool spell will arrive by mid to late week, so I'm sure I'll be hitting it hard shortly!

Have you tried/had any success freezing this for later consumption?

WSM
Weber 22.5" Kettle (2X)
augie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #38
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by augie View Post
Have you tried/had any success freezing this for later consumption?
I freeze it all the time and it reheats just fine. I don't even vacuum pack it, I just store them in tupperware in the freezer. Makes a great winter lunch!
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #39
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am SO glad this thread got bumped. Saving the recipe. Thanks Saiko!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #40
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Well I had some leftover pulled pork and everything else needed to make this in the house so I am gonna give it a go for tonight.

I just started it about an hour ago and it smells amazing.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #41
O-Town
On the road to being a farker

I too have a batch in the crockpot right now! Your recipe reminds me of the stew I used to get at Finchers BBQ in Macon. Man I lived at that joint! My wife and I would argue over who had the better stew. Finchers or Satterfields..
Brinkman Gourmet Bullet
Weber 22.5 Kettle
WSM 18.5
Member F.B.A.
[COLOR=Red]Red Thermapen[/COLOR]

[/FONT][/SIZE]
O-Town is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #42
scm1226
is one Smokin' Farker

Reading this thread has made me want to bump it. Aim going to smoke a chicken tomorrow just to make this. Sounds great!
scm1226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #43
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

That just got added to my to do list for this weekend!
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #44
Seachaser
Knows what a fatty is.

What, no hog head? Seriously, as a boy, you had to have real hog head in it to be called brunswick stew. You make it just the way I like it! Enjoy.
Seachaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #45
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

IMHO, one of if not THE best recipe shared on brethren. I think I've said it before, but THANKS Saiko! This recipe is now my base recipe for mine. Even my mother in law, who is from Texas and has no clue as to what is and isn't barbecue, LOVES this recipe.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->